John Hickenlooper: I don't like Obamacare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  John Hickenlooper: I don't like Obamacare
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Hickenlooper: I don't like Obamacare  (Read 1827 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

http://youtu.be/FE_TQ4kA5zw

This was posted on the other thread, but I think it warrants its own. Colorado Dems, let's talk: what the hell is wrong with this guy? It's not only this, but a few months ago he said he didn't want to sign the gun bill, but did anyway because a staffer said he would. Does this guy have no spine whatsoever? Is it just the desperation kicking in? Also, why does Natalie Tennant get relentlessly pounded for comments less audacious than these (despite being from a much redder state) while he gets off scot free?
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2014, 08:23:13 PM by Joshua »

He's not as hated as someone like Tennant because he's actually going to win his election for his party, and spine or not, he did end up signing the gun bills.

And say what he wants, his state did expand Medicaid and did their own exchange, so I assume that's why everyone blows off his stance on the ACA. Just like everyone blows off his position on recreational marijuana legalization.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »

I was surprised this didn't get more rage too. When I heard this, it made me laugh out loud. I don't think Hickenlooper knows what its like to run in a truly competitive race.
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:24 PM »

Hickenlooper has always been a moderate (remember, he is pro-fracking). He's only been perceived as liberal because the legislature was very liberal and passing liberal laws, basically forcing him to sign them. He was never out in front advocating for any of those bills though.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »

He's not as hated as someone like Tennant because he's actually going to win his election for his party, and spine or not, he did end up signing the gun bills.

And say what he wants, his state did expand Medicaid and did their own exchange, so I assume that's why everyone blows off his stance on the ACA. Just like everyone blows off his position on recreational marijuana legalization.

So people didn't actually care about what Tennant said, they just cared that she was losing while saying it? That doesn't really make sense to me. I didn't particularly care about her comments since she's in West Virginia and Manchin basically did the same thing in 2010 (and nobody seemed to care then), but Atlas's thread on the subject would make you think she was Satan incarnate. I didn't particularly care about Hickenlooper's gun comments either, but combined with this one it seems as if it's becoming a trend.

Hickenlooper has always been a moderate (remember, he is pro-fracking). He's only been perceived as liberal because the legislature was very liberal and passing liberal laws, basically forcing him to sign them. He was never out in front advocating for any of those bills though.

It's not really about whether or not he's a moderate though. It's about his ridiculously transparent backpedalling after the fact. He had a choice to veto the gun bill, not to set up Obamacare exchanges, etc. and he didn't. That was his position, so stick with it. The whole "I didn't really want to do those things, but the legislature/Obama/my staffer MADE me!" is pretty weak and makes him look incredibly spineless.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »

Yeah I've never been a huge Hickenlooper fan. I'd much rather keep Udall and lose him.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »

A classic Hickenlooper manoeuvre is to have his cake and eat it too. It was most blatant in his impressively pathetic triangulation around the death penalty that ended up impressing nobody. He doesn't want to sign the gun control bills, but he just ends up signing them anyway. He doesn't really actively endorse marijuana legalisation, but isn't opposed to it just yet, or maybe he is? He even held off endorsing marriage equality, even after it became absurdly uncontroversial, IIRC.

He has that common "moderate" disease of being petrified someone, somewhere will dislike taking a particular stance. No wonder he's gained the Chickenlooper moniker...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »

A Democrat who thinks the ACA should have been designed differently?  Oh heavens!  Doesn't he know it was birthed fully formed from the head of Ted Kennedy?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:02:55 PM »

RIP Governor Hickenlooper
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:04 PM »

A Democrat who thinks the ACA should have been designed differently?  Oh heavens!  Doesn't he know it was birthed fully formed from the head of Ted Kennedy?

That's not really my point though.

I mean, look at it this way. Mark Pryor, a guy who ran ads touting his support of Obamacare (though granted, he didn't actually call it that in the ad), is consistently pilloried on this forum as a worthless DINO. Meanwhile, Hickenlooper leaves this giant turd on our doorstep, and we're going to pretend like we don't smell a thing? Let's try to have some consistency.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »

He wouldn't be so bad of a governor if he had a damn spine and made his own decisions.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

He's desperate.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:33 AM »

So people didn't actually care about what Tennant said, they just cared that she was losing while saying it? That doesn't really make sense to me. I didn't particularly care about her comments since she's in West Virginia and Manchin basically did the same thing in 2010 (and nobody seemed to care then), but Atlas's thread on the subject would make you think she was Satan incarnate. I didn't particularly care about Hickenlooper's gun comments either, but combined with this one it seems as if it's becoming a trend.

I meant that people gave Manchin the slide since he could actually win. People give Hickenlooper an excuse because he actually has a shot at winning the race and he signed the liberal laws that came out of the legislature, even if he didn't believe in those principles.

What I meant is I think that people got mad at Tennant for this reason as an excuse because she's employing the same tactics and is crashing and burning.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 12:16:47 AM »

That's not really my point though.

I mean, look at it this way. Mark Pryor, a guy who ran ads touting his support of Obamacare (though granted, he didn't actually call it that in the ad), is consistently pilloried on this forum as a worthless DINO. Meanwhile, Hickenlooper leaves this giant turd on our doorstep, and we're going to pretend like we don't smell a thing? Let's try to have some consistency.

I am. Obamacare doesn't go far enough for my liking, and we aren't going to get single-payer with a GOP House, so I care more about the minimum wage.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:20 AM »

He shouldn't knock health insurance. He might need some good healthcare if he drinks a lot of fracking water.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »

Yeah I've never been a huge Hickenlooper fan. I'd much rather keep Udall and lose him.

He wouldn't be so bad of a governor if he had a damn spine and made his own decisions.

These.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

*Realizes he's doing bad in the polls* *Realizes Obama has a 36% approval in his state*

"Guys, I don't like Obama!"
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »

Democrats are not really wanting to tie themselves to the President this year. Welcome to politics, where you do one thing and then act like an entirely different person when it becomes necessary to get re-elected.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:35 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 06:14:29 AM by Sbane »

It's not really about whether or not he's a moderate though. It's about his ridiculously transparent backpedalling after the fact. He had a choice to veto the gun bill, not to set up Obamacare exchanges, etc. and he didn't. That was his position, so stick with it. The whole "I didn't really want to do those things, but the legislature/Obama/my staffer MADE me!" is pretty weak and makes him look incredibly spineless.

Just based on the video, you seem to be misinterpreting his comments. He said it should have been rolled out state by state and he did set up his own exchange in Colorado. So essentially he did what he thinks should have been done in every other state. He also seems to want the states to have more control in establishing the rules, which is a more controversial position.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »

^what I came to say
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: