If you weren't wearing X, bad thing Y wouldn't have happened to you (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:17:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If you weren't wearing X, bad thing Y wouldn't have happened to you (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you weren't wearing X, bad thing Y wouldn't have happened to you  (Read 1383 times)
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« on: October 23, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
« edited: October 23, 2014, 03:09:34 AM by Beatrice »

I'm a bit skeptical about the law, but I don't think you can seriously say that it's in any way comparable with the victim blaming of rape victims.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:12:55 AM »

Reminds me of when European governments advised Jews not to wear visible indicators of their relation because they're incapable of controlling their rabid mobs of anti-semites.

Seriously? I think the point here is that there is a fundamental difference between this instruction and victim blaming, in that this simply a pragmatic instruction designed to keep armed services members safe from harm. It hardly comes with the implicit shaming - "well, they deserved it if they got attacked" that comes with the way a victim is blamed after rape, and particularly does not entail the sense that the victim was somehow lesser - "if she was wearing that then she's a slut". Which of course points to the larger dimension here - that while attitudes blaming women (or Jewish people in your example) from attack further contribute to the oppression of those groups, the armed forces are in no way oppressed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies