Modern Humans Interbred with Neanderthals According to 45,000 Year-Old Genome
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:25:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Modern Humans Interbred with Neanderthals According to 45,000 Year-Old Genome
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modern Humans Interbred with Neanderthals According to 45,000 Year-Old Genome  (Read 1684 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »

Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »

Neanderthal girls are easy
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »

Early human migrations / interactions with Neanderthals and extinct megafauna really fascinate me for some reason.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

Modern humans?  Like my brother's friend Curtis?  He does spend suspiciously long periods at the Natural History Museum, usually in the evenings when it's quieter and there's less people in the anthropology exhibits.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:09 PM »

Also worth pointing out that it's entirely inaccurate when people use "Neanderthal" as an epithet for "stupid." Our best research suggests they were just as intelligent as humans.

And as we are all (except full-blooded Africans) descended partially from them, we're just insulting ourselves.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »

So whenever someone clearly of European descent starts jabbering about the superiority of the 'white race', point this out.  Like it or not, being considered part-Neanderthal is derogatory. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure white skin comes from the Neanderthals. Homo sapiens are naturally black.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »

It's been thought for a long time that there was a small amount of interbreeding between humans and Neanderthals, the big question was when. The interest has to do with when humans started to move out of Africa and by what routes.  Anyway, interesting!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »

And that, children, is how Norfolk was populated.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 07:56:15 AM »

Dat larger, but not necessarily smarter, brain mass.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure white skin comes from the Neanderthals. Homo sapiens are naturally black.

Well, maybe. Kind of. Also the fact that the amount of melanin required in your skin to survive the sun in northern Europe and Asia is much less than if you're living in Africa or anywhere along the Equator. So over many generations, the bodies of people living in those areas started producing less melanin pigments in their skin, and caused them to become white.

I think it's more accurate to say facial structure among different races was caused (in part) by interspecies breeding.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

And that, children, is how Norfolk was populated.

Nonsense. That would mean they had to breed outside the family line...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »

That's a bunch crap, until the Bantu (who also interbreed with a unknown archaic human population in West Africa) migration most Africans looked more like the Sans in colour also Australian aborigine are one of the human population with the most archaic human admixture (both Neanderthal and Denisovan, in fact they're more Neanderthal than most Eurasians), and they're one of the darker human population. The conclusion is that skin colour have little to do with admixture. Also while red hair have been found in Neanderthals, the genes for red hair in modern human have developed separate.

The paleness of northern Euroasians and Native Americans was developed in the milleniums after our mixing with the archaic human population in Eurasia and was the result of climatic adaptation. In fact some trait like blond hair and non-albino blue eyes are a less than 10 000 years old adaptation to a more meat poor diet.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »

That's a bunch crap, until the Bantu (who also interbreed with a unknown archaic human population in West Africa) migration most Africans looked more like the Sans in colour also Australian aborigine are one of the human population with the most archaic human admixture (both Neanderthal and Denisovan, in fact they're more Neanderthal than most Eurasians), and they're one of the darker human population. The conclusion is that skin colour have little to do with admixture. Also while red hair have been found in Neanderthals, the genes for red hair in modern human have developed separate.

The paleness of northern Euroasians and Native Americans was developed in the milleniums after our mixing with the archaic human population in Eurasia and was the result of climatic adaptation. In fact some trait like blond hair and non-albino blue eyes are a less than 10 000 years old adaptation to a more meat poor diet.
You and your Scandi privilege.  Tongue
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

You and your Scandi privilege.  Tongue

Cheesy

I'm in fact darker than most Scandinavians, likely thanks to my Spanish and maybe my German ancestors.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »

This explains most of Congress.

OK, that's admittedly lame enough for Leno, but I couldn't resist.....
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies