So... what happened to Natalie Tennant?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:29:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So... what happened to Natalie Tennant?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So... what happened to Natalie Tennant?  (Read 560 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »
« edited: October 23, 2014, 12:25:41 AM by retromike22 »

When this election first started, I kept on thinking this race would eventually get closer but it doesn't look likely to happen. Normally... I would say that of course it doesn't matter that WV is a Democratic Party state because it's an anti-Obama state. But I keep on thinking about Joe Manchin winning in 2010, and the fact that Kentucky (which is probably the closest to WV politically) has a much closer race right now.

What did Natalie Tennant do wrong in this race?

Was there a different WV Dem who could have done better?

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2014, 12:23:21 AM by IDS Emperor Maxwell »

The focus seems to all be on the Democrats, when in fact, the Republicans didn't blow this one. They recruited their best candidate and their candidate held on. I mean, it didn't help that Tennant's attempts to sound independent from Obama came off as desperate, but it was more that Shelley Moore Capito won this election than Natalie Tennant losing it.

Compare that to 2010, when Democrats not only nominated Joe Manchin, who was known there as being a fairly conservative Democrat and was EXTREMELY popular (Tennant wasn't of similar popularity, obv.), but the Republicans nominated John Raese, known in West Virginia as a perennial loser of sorts.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »

West Virginia happened.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:19 AM »

Another thing I was thinking about was the fact that Capito is the daughter of a former Governor, and that may pursuade some WV voters. I'm not sure if "Capito" is as strong as a local brand as I realized.

I also feel that Grimes in KY sounds way more desperate to sound independent than Tennant.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »

Don't forget that Manchin was trailing in the polls for a while in 2010 against an absolute joke candidate despite having a 70% approval rating in the state. He managed to survive, but the (D) is just too toxic at this point. Manchin/Rahall are likely on borrowed time. They probably maintain enough personal popularity to survive a few more election cycles (particularly Manchin), but after that, I doubt they can be replaced.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »

She was/is a terrible candidate running against a good one. It needs to be the other way around for Democrats to win federal office in West Virginia.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:09 AM »

She never really happened, and that's about all that can be said.

On a related but slightly different note, has WV ever elected a female Senator or Governor before?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

She was/is a terrible candidate running against a good one. It needs to be the other way around for Democrats to win federal office in West Virginia.

I wouldn't say she's a terrible candidate, but she's definitely not of the caliber that Capito is.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies