attention seeking: Tweed's preferred career
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:27:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  attention seeking: Tweed's preferred career
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which path would prefer I pursue?
theology

pharmacology

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: attention seeking: Tweed's preferred career  (Read 682 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:25 AM »

I'm in a holding action now, I'm a home health care aide for my grandfather, and I am well compensated for it.  however I'm not sure I'd like to keep doing it after his death; taking intimate (there is plenty of ass-wiping and piss-emptying involved, to be graphic) care of a loved one and a stranger are two different animals.

there will be a time when this ends, when he dies or becomes too sick/feeble to be taken care of at home.  at that point, my options will include

-continue to pursue the health aide/nursing field.  white male nurses/aides are in high demand.

-leech off my mother and work odd jobs here and there.  the leeching is not mutually exclusive with other options, she's quite emotionally dependent on me (her only child, and I suffered a life-threatening illness in infancy that manifests in some PTSD-type issues, overprotective, and so on.)  long and short is, she has money and lacks the emotional ability to "kick me out" no matter how much talent I waste.

-suicide.

-try to market my existing education and resume, most likely into some kind of 'office work' (banking, human resources, non-profit community organizing work, etc.)

-or go back into the hallowed education system and pursue something further.  I listed two areas in the poll that I've kicked around in my head a bit.

thanks in advance to any and all who offer input.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:36:20 AM »

The health / nursing track pays well and, if you're into that sort of thing, can be very rewarding. You ought to be able to pursue a track that doesn't involve a lot of ass-wiping or bodily fluid duty, though something specialized may require more education.

You're in a unique position of continuing your education, and I'd say as long as it's not a financial burden on your mother, her generosity (or emotional dependency) could land you a better career track and work out well for you both.

Personal opinion: I'd stay away from theology as a career. It's a hobby, at best, unless you plan to be the next Joel Osteen. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »

Are you still an aspiring morman, Tweed?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:29 AM »

The health / nursing track pays well and, if you're into that sort of thing, can be very rewarding. You ought to be able to pursue a track that doesn't involve a lot of ass-wiping or bodily fluid duty, though something specialized may require more education.

yes.  I'm able to work in my current situation without any certifications at all.  however 'real nurses', even the unionized ones with genuine living wages, tend to work in highly pressurized (and understaffed) environments, and as a young nurse explained to me over a beer one night, "If I screw up it might cost somebody their life."  not the most alluring thing to my mind.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I almost certainly agree.  grad school departments in the humanities and social sciences are universally reported to be insufferable, and the tales I read from some theology PhD candidates make me think it's no different.

Are you still an aspiring morman, Tweed?

no, nothing like that.  Mormons barely qualify as having any 'theology', to begin with.  they have one accepted mode of reading their doctrinal texts (what we would call 'literalism') and an omnipotent human magisterium that even the pre-Reformation RCC would pine for.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

Is your interest in theology purely theoretical or have you considered a M. Div.?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:43 AM »

become one of those pretentious holistic alternative medicine docs with questionable credentials
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:33:34 PM »

Find something that brings you enjoyment or satisfaction, then find a way to get paid for it.  It's trite advice, but really I think crucial to remember.  You spend so much time of your life working.  You get stuck at a soul crushing position and many other dominoes can fall. I think this goes doubly for people apt to depression and substance abuse.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »

Sometimes, there aren't any good options. I dropped out of a PhD program in political science (one of the top 10) to be a computer programmer. I can honestly say it was probably the right decision. I give 8 hours of my day to something completely meaningless in exchange for a modicum of security and freedom for the rest of my life.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »

Is your interest in theology purely theoretical or have you considered a M. Div.?

it's hard to say where hobby ends and seriousness begins.  the only school that I've spent any length of time looking at is Union.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies