Is this passage ironical?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:00:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is this passage ironical?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this passage ironical?  (Read 321 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:29 AM »

one day , john read an advertisement in a newspaper. it said ," wanted .the best salesman in the world. "john thought he was a great salesman and went to ask for the jod. "i'm the best salesman in the world ,"he said to the manager ."G ive me the job.""you must prove you'er the best ,"  the manager siad. "ok,I will,"john said. "good."the manager took several boxes of sweetl out of his desk. "Last week I brought a thousand boxes of sweets.If you can sell them all before the end of the week, you can have the job ,"said the manager."That's easy,"john said.he took the boxes of sweets and left the office.Every day and all day he went from shop to shop ,trying to sell the sweets.But he couldn't sell one .The sweets were too bad for him to sell.At the end of the week he went back to the manager."i'm sorry ,sir,"he said,"I was wrong about myself . i'm not the best salesman in the world ,but I konw who is ." "Oh ,"said the manager."who?" The person who sold you a thousand boxes of the sweets".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »

No
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

No, and the adjective form of "irony" is "ironic." The -al suffix is superfluous (unless you're trying to sound ironicalisticish.)

Your story has just a somewhat wry humorous observation.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:27:29 AM »

probably, most sh[inks] on the internet is these days
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »

one day , john read an advertisement in a newspaper. it said ," wanted .the best salesman in the world. "john thought he was a great salesman and went to ask for the jod. "i'm the best salesman in the world ,"he said to the manager ."G ive me the job.""you must prove you'er the best ,"  the manager siad. "ok,I will,"john said. "good."the manager took several boxes of sweetl out of his desk. "Last week I brought a thousand boxes of sweets.If you can sell them all before the end of the week, you can have the job ,"said the manager."That's easy,"john said.he took the boxes of sweets and left the office.Every day and all day he went from shop to shop ,trying to sell the sweets.But he couldn't sell one .The sweets were too bad for him to sell.At the end of the week he went back to the manager."i'm sorry ,sir,"he said,"I was wrong about myself . i'm not the best salesman in the world ,but I konw who is ." "Oh ,"said the manager."who?" The person who sold you a thousand boxes of the sweets".

This is an example of sardonicism, not irony.

Also, have you been taking typing lessons from dead0man?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

In the broadest sense, yes, you could call it hat, because it turns a situation on its head. "Irony" has more than one definition.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies