Sarah Palin has endorsed Walker in AK-Gov race.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:41:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sarah Palin has endorsed Walker in AK-Gov race.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sarah Palin has endorsed Walker in AK-Gov race.  (Read 2904 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 01:34:26 AM »

As the article notes, he scrapped her oil tax increase, which she was darn proud of.

Clearly Palin was a secret commie leftist, raising the oil severance tax in Alaska from something to something higher, while right-wing California continues to have an oil severance of zero.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 01:42:30 AM »

Why exactly is Parnell even struggling? Has he done anything wrong?

We don't know that he actually is struggling; Alaska polls are basically polls of just Anchorage because there's almost no landline penetration in the rest of the state.

But rural Alaska is afaik leaning Democratic, isn't it?

Basically you've got three groups:

1. Weirdo loners, either survivalists or hippies, but the former outnumber the latter.
2. Oil industry workers; extremely Republican, especially in this race (they don't like the oil severance tax).
3. Natives, who have very idiosyncratic voting patterns and often vote as a bloc; they usually have a strong pro-incumbent bias but not always.

In general it combines to be more Republican than the rest of the state, except when natives vote as a bloc for the Democrat.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:16 AM »

As the article notes, he scrapped her oil tax increase, which she was darn proud of.

Clearly Palin was a secret commie leftist, raising the oil severance tax in Alaska from something to something higher, while right-wing California continues to have an oil severance of zero.

The funny thing is that before she saw a path to hop on the gravy train, Palin was known as a moderate reformer in Alaska.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »

The funny thing is that before she saw a path to hop on the gravy train, Palin was known as a moderate reformer in Alaska.

This is both very true and very forgettable. If Palin hadn't been picked in 2008, where would she be? Maybe some interesting 2016 talk? Like a white, Alaskan Susana Martinez
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »

I see Alaska's black guy attended the event!

Blacks made up 3,6% of the state population in the 2010 census. Black Alaskans have often military background, so its no surprise if they are Republicans.

http://www.akhistorycourse.org/articles/article.php?artID=233
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2014, 08:01:53 AM »

I don't think it hurts Walker. Nobody votes against somebody they were planning to vote for because somebody they don't like suddenly endorses them. She did this because she's pissed at Parnell. If endorsements still have any relevance in the modern political world, then it helps Walker, if anything. Perhaps he'll pull in a few thousand Palinites (which will go a long way in AK).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »

Why exactly is Parnell even struggling? Has he done anything wrong?

We don't know that he actually is struggling; Alaska polls are basically polls of just Anchorage because there's almost no landline penetration in the rest of the state.

But rural Alaska is afaik leaning Democratic, isn't it?

Basically you've got three groups:

1. Weirdo loners, either survivalists or hippies, but the former outnumber the latter.
2. Oil industry workers; extremely Republican, especially in this race (they don't like the oil severance tax).
3. Natives, who have very idiosyncratic voting patterns and often vote as a bloc; they usually have a strong pro-incumbent bias but not always.

In general it combines to be more Republican than the rest of the state, except when natives vote as a bloc for the Democrat.

The Native vote is why I think Begich still has an even or better chance of winning, and why Young is absolutely safe no matter what scandalous insane thing he does or says.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »

If you look at posts on this forum from before August 2008, Palin regularly showed up as one of the most popular governors. Even the Democrats loved her. Very bizarre in retrospect.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 11:56:51 AM »

hahah holy sh[inks], from a thread titled "Your favorite governors":

Kathleen Sebelius
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Sarah Palin

hahaha
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:26 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Sarah Palin

hahaha

So you were a Moderate Hero once, Lief? I never would have imagined. Shocked Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 12:02:54 PM »

Ah yes, the days when Sarah had an 85% approval rating. Hard to believe it was six years ago.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Sarah Palin

hahaha

So you were a Moderate Hero once, Lief? I never would have imagined. Shocked Tongue

Nah back in the day progressive Democrats loved people like Kaine and Schweitzer for being successful populist Democrats in red states. They were very hip with the Daily Kos/"netroots" crowd.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Sarah Palin

hahaha

LOL, how'd you manage to find that?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »

Nobody votes against somebody they were planning to vote for because somebody they don't like suddenly endorses them.
Well hypothetically it's possible

Imagin if some GOP SuperPC made this ad and spent a million to air it nonstop in ATL:

Hi, I'm David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK. In this election I support Michelle Nunn, because I personally believe she has the guts to resegregate out schools and remove the Jewish influence from our banks. Vote Michelle Nunn - for a racially pure Georgia!
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »

Nobody votes against somebody they were planning to vote for because somebody they don't like suddenly endorses them.

Imagin if some GOP SuperPC made this ad and spent a million to air it nonstop in ATL:

Hi, I'm David Duke, former Grand Wizard of the KKK. In this election I support Michelle Nunn, because I personally believe she has the guts to resegregate out schools and remove the Jewish influence from our banks. Vote Michelle Nunn - for a racially pure Georgia!

That's a pretty extreme example and probably out of the bounds of what Griff was talking about.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »

That's a pretty extreme example and probably out of the bounds of what Griff was talking about.
Thanks for pointing this out! Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »

Kathleen Sebelius
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Sarah Palin

hahaha

Several liberal Dems likes her back then. Alcon nearly adored her but that was during his Moderate Hero time.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:37 PM »

Just a failed attempt at humor Sad
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:51 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2014, 11:44:19 PM by wormyguy »

I strongly suspect that plan would backfire.

Edit: As for a dirty trick that would actually work, find some 70s black radical (Angela Davis, Assata Shakur, etc.) to cut this ad, AK-47 in hand.

Text on screen: "Havana, Cuba"

I'm Assata Shakur, and I am pleased to endorse a powerful, beautiful woman like Michelle Nunn because her election as United States Senator would prove that our people have the power in Georgia to end the racist prison system and protect the lives of innocent children like Michael Brown from white police brutality. Any brother or sister who digs the revolutionary overthrow of racism and capitalism should join me in supporting Michelle Nunn.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »

Damn it, and here I was actually liking Walker.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies