District Judge Upholds Puerto Rico gay marriage ban (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  District Judge Upholds Puerto Rico gay marriage ban (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: District Judge Upholds Puerto Rico gay marriage ban  (Read 1212 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 26, 2014, 11:11:39 PM »

When will the federal government respect the will of the states and the people regarding this issue regardless of laws allowing it or banning it?  All the bans recently overturned (this includes California, Indiana, Utah etc ). What I'm saying is if a state bans it don't interfere. If a state allows it don't interfere. 

Do people like you not understand that the very point of founding countries like the United States is that some things are NOT UP TO PUBLIC OPINION?  That's what we are debating here.  Our courts are trying to decide, through case law and Constitutional interpretation, whether or not states even have the right to prevent same sex couples from marrying.  Your stupid cries about the "will of the people" show me that you don't even understand the context of the gay marriage debate in the first place... or any civil rights case ever heard by a judge at all. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:06 AM »

When will the federal government respect the will of the states and the people regarding this issue regardless of laws allowing it or banning it?  All the bans recently overturned (this includes California, Indiana, Utah etc ). What I'm saying is if a state bans it don't interfere. If a state allows it don't interfere. 

If a state wished to ban people practicing Christianity. Do you think that should be allowed and that federal government and the judiciary should not interfere?

Mr. JCL needs a real world example.  I would be willing to bet that a majority of Oklahomans would be for a ban on Islam.  Would the will of the people be in effect there? 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:36 AM »

Right, the only time the federal government should interfere is if a state legalizes gay marriage. Then, it's in the people's best interest to shut that thing down. Especially in California, now that polls show a large majority favors gay marriage.

No one's buying what you're selling, dude.

Bigots like to dress up their bigotry in all sorts of fancy language.  JCL fails in even that regard by making no sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies