Soouth Florida to become its own state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:22:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Soouth Florida to become its own state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Soouth Florida to become its own state?  (Read 2811 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
« edited: October 24, 2014, 09:56:08 PM by SJoyce »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet, but apparently the city of Miami passed a resolution that favors the secession of South Florida.

South Miami. Difference of about 407,845 people. That said, I'm in full support of this - anything that both makes the University of South Florida's name actually make sense (it'd be the flagship public university of the State of South Florida) and puts my education under the control of someone other than whoever the hell The Villages sends to the state legislature is alright with me.

Likewise, Pasco needs to stay with Hillsborough and Pinellas. Its not as if once you cross the county line you're in Alabama.
The counties I'm unsure where to place are Hernando, Lake and Volusia.

Pasco (and Hernando, as you mentioned) are in a gray area. I'd draw the line along the northern border of Pinellas and Hillsborough going along a pretty fuzzy line (that covers much of Pasco & Hernando). Most of Lake and southern Volusia would also be in that area. Volusia on the whole I'd say would go in North Florida, if only for the whole Dale Earnhardt NASCAR Daytona thing.

Indian River, Brevard, and Polk Counties are not South Florida. What a random map.

Polk is iffy, but Brevard probably goes in the new Southern Florida state we're making here - not exactly a place I'd expect to see boiled peanuts by the roadside. Brevard was largely grown and shaped by the space race of the 60s, after all. Indian River, meanwhile, is New New Jersey (in fairness, Fellsmere isn't, but the county's coast-dominated).

Orlando has more in common with North Florida than South Florida; that applies to pretty much everywhere in the state, to be fair. I'd just break apart everything in the Miami orbit, so everywhere that supports Miami over any other Florida team. That would mean West Palm Beach and down. No reason to stick Tampa and Orlando in a Miami-based state.

Just Broward, Dade, PB and maybe Monroe? Nah... Orange/Osceola is definitely not part of N. Florida. Though the North Orlando metro definitely is. Even East Orlando even feels like S. Florida. Its a looong story how I got to know the area. You could probably take in Tampa without having to take in Pasco, I think. There's NPR, but that's the only metro feeling place in Pasco.

Orlando is my blind spot; I admit don't know that area very well.  However, I do know the Tampa suburbs, Clearwater and to a lesser degree St. Pete and they are MUCH more culturally similar to North Florida than South Florida. I know it doesn't make a very pretty map, but unless there's some measure I'm missing I don't see the justification for grouping Miami with pretty much anywhere else in the state but West Palm Beach.

Orlando, at this point, certainly isn't the south. Maybe a few decades ago, but not now. As for the Bay area, we are home to the largest rebel flag in the world, admittedly, but the area is a better example of a melting pot of both cultures than probably any other in Florida. I'd be hard-pressed to call the area Southern, especially St. Pete.

People need to understand that central Florida--the I-4 corridor and adjacent counties at least--are different from both north and south Florida. Culturally, demographically, and politically.

And of course this is the objectively correct answer.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »

Orlando has more in common with North Florida than South Florida; that applies to pretty much everywhere in the state, to be fair. I'd just break apart everything in the Miami orbit, so everywhere that supports Miami over any other Florida team. That would mean West Palm Beach and down. No reason to stick Tampa and Orlando in a Miami-based state.

Just Broward, Dade, PB and maybe Monroe? Nah... Orange/Osceola is definitely not part of N. Florida. Though the North Orlando metro definitely is. Even East Orlando even feels like S. Florida. Its a looong story how I got to know the area. You could probably take in Tampa without having to take in Pasco, I think. There's NPR, but that's the only metro feeling place in Pasco.

Orlando is my blind spot; I admit don't know that area very well.  However, I do know the Tampa suburbs, Clearwater and to a lesser degree St. Pete and they are MUCH more culturally similar to North Florida than South Florida. I know it doesn't make a very pretty map, but unless there's some measure I'm missing I don't see the justification for grouping Miami with pretty much anywhere else in the state but West Palm Beach.

Orlando, at this point, certainly isn't the south. Maybe a few decades ago, but not now. As for the Bay area, we are home to the largest rebel flag in the world, admittedly, but the area is a better example of a melting pot of both cultures than probably any other in Florida. I'd be hard-pressed to call the area Southern, especially St. Pete.

Where exactly is NOT a melting pot in Florida?

Inglis.

NOWHERE in Florida is like the South as people here seem to see it, at least not east of Leon. Tallahassee, Gainesville, Daytona, and Jacksonville are mostly bland middle class suburbs you'd find anywhere in the country, just with more blacks. If you were dropped in a Jacksonville suburb you'd find zero cultural differences from one in Tampa, Northern Orlando (the only part of the city I know) or St. Pete.

I'd agree that Gainesville and (more marginally) Jacksonville aren't Southern. Tally definitely has more of a Southern culture from my visits - think Bradley's Country Store, but also the accents have a more Southern flavor than in Orlampa, and Tally actually had some actual Civil War battles (Natural Bridge).

I agree that Central Florida does have its differences, but if you're only splitting the state into 2 parts I cannot see where anyone could possibly put them with the South over the North; from everything I've seen of it Miami is just a completely different creature from anything else in the state.

South Florida (those three-four counties) certainly have a very distinct feel from the rest of the state, but I interpreted this movement more as an effort to split off the region that is concerned about climate change and which will be most affected by it to secure a government that cares about combating it, and one that aimed in taking in as much of Florida that isn't explicitly Southern as it can, to create a stronger and more influential state that can devote much of its resources to preventing Miami from sinking.

Here are my questions for the Floridian posters. Has there ever been an effort to separate Central FL (esp. Tampa and Orlando) with South FL before this? Is there any clamor in CF for separation like there has been in SF?

Apart from assorted neoconfederates in north Florida and all that the Conch Republic has done, never, not that I can recall at least. The nucleus has always been in the three counties of the South Florida metro; their proposals just vary in how much of the rest of the state they'd take with them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies