Opinion of the degrowth movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:06:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the degrowth movement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: I
support it

don't support it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Opinion of the degrowth movement  (Read 1386 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 04:47:11 PM »

I understand the idea behind it and that endless growth is unsustainable, but this sets off every pragmatism alarm that I possess in my ideology.  Furthermore, I don't see how we continue with scientific and technological progress in a society that subscribes to this.  We are on the verge of colonizing the final frontier and curing once thought incurable diseases.  We have made a breakthrough with small scale fission reactors.  A Degrowth movement would bring humanity to a halt. 

Nay.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

I'm making a subtle distinction here.  I'm sure there could be some element of these people that actually see things my way.

But,t there are issues where anti-globalization, anti-capitalist people are right, but for the wrong reasons.  When you begin with these sorts of premises about how capitalism is flawed, you just lose me right there.  The market and private property are the two basic principles that have a spectacular track record of improving the lot of human beings.  The way I see the world is that you don't refute the implications of the capitalist economic in society, you just add the implications of sociology, psychology, etc. 

So, because they tend to be anti-capitalism, that poisons all of their suggestions, even if those suggestions would otherwise be right or not actually have anything to do with the workings of capitalism?  That doesn't strike me as the right attitude to take, if we actually want to fix the problems we have.  I think it's a virtue to be willing to listen to all sorts of viewpoints and make common cause with people who have different priors, on issues where that is possible and productive.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies