Steve King: "I don’t expect to meet [gays] should I make it to heaven."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:24:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Steve King: "I don’t expect to meet [gays] should I make it to heaven."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Steve King: "I don’t expect to meet [gays] should I make it to heaven."  (Read 5549 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »

Well, there won't be any gays in heaven because it's a sin, and there won't be any sinners in heaven. The current gay people will not be gay in heaven.

That's probably the closest thing I can say while still going with his idea of homosexuality is a sin. I myself don't actually believe gays are sinners by virtue of existence like this guy.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

The problem with his statement is nobody truly knows where anybody else stands with their relationship with God.  A parent cannot absolutely know that his or her child will go to heaven, even though that child displays all the "signs" of a Christian.  A person cannot truly know their spouse's salvation status.  So, the point is that nobody can truly know if anybody else is going to heaven or not.  A tree will be known by its fruit, so you can have a pretty good idea, but you cannot know definitively.  So, no one can say with absolute certainty that homosexuals are automatically expelled from heaven.  To say anything either way is to attempt to speak for God, which is dangerous.  The only person you can be absolutely certain about is yourself.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

The only person you can be absolutely certain about is yourself.

And from a Catholic perspective, I feel compelled to dispute this as well.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2014, 04:14:54 PM by eric82oslo »

There is no heaven. Nor any hell. So the whole discussion is pointless.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

Homosexuals, like all people, are certainly capable of going to Heaven if they repent and accept Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Unrepentant sinners don't go to Heaven; and thus, an unrepentant homosexual will indeed go to Hell, just like how an unrepentant adulterer or unrepentant fornicator (to name two examples) will go to Hell.

I have used the threat of Hell. On a Nazi. I also told him that he wouldn't like Heaven anyway -- too many Jews for his liking.

By the way -- what is so damnable about homosexuality itself?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 07:20:50 PM »

There is no heaven. Nor any hell. So the whole discussion is pointless.

No heaven... No hell... Only "good enough". 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »

If the Christian version of God and Hell is true, I somehow doubt a loving and merciful God is going to go through your list, putting check marks next to all the good things, and then reach the "Is gay" or "Had gay sex" parts and give you 100 automatic death points, even if everything else is okay.

There are thousands of Christian denominations, thus there are thousands of versions of God and Hell, Some of which include one or even both of them not existing.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »

I would love to ask him if he believes judgmental people go to heaven.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

who do I speak to sign up for gay heaven instead of steve king heaven?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »

What gets me is that aren't Protestants supposed to believe in "faith, not works?"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »

What gets me is that aren't Protestants supposed to believe in "faith, not works?"

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The primary difference between Protestant and Catholic (at least as of the time of the Reformation) theology concerning works is the Catholicism views works as a means by which one earns salvation while Protestantism views works as evidence of the faith one has in salvation.  So it's perfectly consistent for a Protestant who thinks that homosexuality is a sin would expect that a faithful homosexual Christian would abstain from such activity to the best of eir ability.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »

Hey, they call it Devil's Food cake for a reason. When this gay atheist dies and goes to hell, at least the food will be good.

Actually, the reason is that before the advent of Dutch processed cocoa, if you used natural cocoa, the acidity of the other ingredients would naturally lead to chocolate cake being red, which is popularly supposed to be the devil's color.  Originally devil's food and red velvet were the same cake, but the former switched to Dutch process cocoa and the latter started adding red food coloring to accentuate the color contrast.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »

If I find myself in hell for being myself then at least my husband will be there. Spending an eternity without him would be a real hell.
If there be a Hell where people are kept eternally, I rather doubt they'll have the choice of who to spend it with.  Actually, if for whatever reason you do end up in Hell, I think you'd be much likelier to be bunking with Congressman King than with your husband.
DS0816
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 02:59:38 AM »

Why hasn't Steve King run in a statewide election yet?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »

There is something fundamentally wrong with the great Stephen King having to share his name with such a waste of oxygen.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 06:56:33 AM »

In case anyone wonders why I am for gay and lesbian rights, the creep depicted in the video makes my point. A warning: the perpetrator uses some dreadful language and, worse, a kick to the groin.   

Law and order is the first of all human rights, without which the others are cant. The perp made the mistake of showing off his infantile morality at DFW Airport, a place teeming with police. Cops win, gay-basher likely gets a stiff prison term instead of a stiff drink.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/24/1339028/-Watch-good-Samaritans-tackle-violent-gay-basher-at-Dallas-airport#comments
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »

Who in their right mind would want to be in the same place as Steve King?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »

If I find myself in hell for being myself then at least my husband will be there. Spending an eternity without him would be a real hell.
If there be a Hell where people are kept eternally, I rather doubt they'll have the choice of who to spend it with.  Actually, if for whatever reason you do end up in Hell, I think you'd be much likelier to be bunking with Congressman King than with your husband.

Doesn't matter. At least I'd be on the same 'plane'. If I were in heaven and he in hell, what heaven would that be for me?
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 01:27:12 PM by Thomas from NJ »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The primary difference between Protestant and Catholic (at least as of the time of the Reformation) theology concerning works is the Catholicism views works as a means by which one earns salvation while Protestantism views works as evidence of the faith one has in salvation.  So it's perfectly consistent for a Protestant who thinks that homosexuality is a sin would expect that a faithful homosexual Christian would abstain from such activity to the best of eir ability.

Ernest is correct here.

http://carm.org/questions/other-questions/how-can-i-tell-if-someone-saved-or-not

http://www.gotquestions.org/forgiven-why-not-sin.html

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/license_to_sin.htm
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

Hardly a shocking statement to make if one is familiar with Christian doctrine and teachings on the subject.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

In case anyone wonders why I am for gay and lesbian rights, the creep depicted in the video makes my point. A warning: the perpetrator uses some dreadful language and, worse, a kick to the groin.   

Law and order is the first of all human rights, without which the others are cant. The perp made the mistake of showing off his infantile morality at DFW Airport, a place teeming with police. Cops win, gay-basher likely gets a stiff prison term instead of a stiff drink.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/24/1339028/-Watch-good-Samaritans-tackle-violent-gay-basher-at-Dallas-airport#comments

The dregs of our society are irrelevant, not stars to determine political orientation. If you focus on the exceptional occurrences, you'll never see the real problems.

The government pits the traditional heterosexual marriage demographics against the single alternative-relationship or homosexual demographics. Gays are just the single people who are tired of being discriminated against. The rest of the single world has been taught that there is something wrong with them, and they generally accept the socio-economic punishment handed down by the government.

Gay rights and SSM are the most small-minded solutions I can possibly imagine to our current problems.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »

Gays are just the single people who are tired of being discriminated against. The rest of the single world has been taught that there is something wrong with them, and they generally accept the socio-economic punishment handed down by the government.

Given that it's gay couples who wish to get married, how on earth using any reasoning, can you categorise gay couples as 'single people'?

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »

Given that it's gay couples who wish to get married, how on earth using any reasoning, can you categorise gay couples as 'single people'?

Is your exposure to our legal system so limited that you don't understand how unmarried couples could be classified as single?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »

Imagine a culture where children are often betrothed, and they are married by the time they reach sexual maturity, and society expects them to use their sexuality, in a manner that is exclusively useful to their spouse, and indirectly beneficial for society as a whole. Do you think there is any room for homosexual behavior? Do you think the people who created this system are inherently bigoted?

The world is full of people who lack understanding. The Judeo-Christian world refuses to acknowledge their departure from the Old Testament system of betrothal and teen marriage, which is the genesis of most anti-homosexual cultural rules. The anti-theist movement is largely unsympathetic to the plight of ancient people, who were merely trying to reproduce and survive. They suppose, instead, malice aforethought, as if ancient people could have foreseen modern existential crises.

Society is also largely ignorant of sexual practices of ancient people, who were not necessarily opposed to behaviors like incest, bestiality, adultery, rape, polygamy, sexual slavery, prostitution, sex with minors/children, etc. The triumph of Judeo-Christian sexual propriety is not problematic in the grand scheme, and pretending otherwise is a pointless waste of time. The people who drifted away from a strict interpretation of anti-homosexuality scripture did not do so under duress, and it is as silly to think that change-averse religious doctrines will evolve under duress as it is ridiculous/immoral to imagine that religious pressure can change someone's sexual orientation.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2014, 04:23:21 PM »

The dregs of our society are irrelevant, not stars to determine political orientation. If you focus on the exceptional occurrences, you'll never see the real problems.

The government pits the traditional heterosexual marriage demographics against the single alternative-relationship or homosexual demographics. Gays are just the single people who are tired of being discriminated against. The rest of the single world has been taught that there is something wrong with them, and they generally accept the socio-economic punishment handed down by the government.

Gay rights and SSM are the most small-minded solutions I can possibly imagine to our current problems.

"Dregs" draw plenty of attention from local DAs in criminal prosecutions. People have been executed in Texas for gay-bashing that results in murder.

The problem is that the perpetrator thought his victim "gay" -- it is that he believed it acceptable to attack a gay man. The homophobic smears and hostile profanity alone would have been "disorderly conduct".

I have been threatened with gay-bashing. Sure, I could explain how I know that I am not gay, but I doubt that that would convince an angry bigot. All in all, formal acceptance of gay rights makes anti-homosexual crime less likely. 

... There is now no convincing argument that same-sex marriage threatens "traditional marriage". If anything it expands "traditional marriage". Some people just can't relate sexually to the other gender but can to their own. I don't have to understand homosexuality -- but I understand homophobia all too well and find it appalling.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies