BREAKING: Stupid tiebreaking laws might affect the Northeast Senate race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:16:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  BREAKING: Stupid tiebreaking laws might affect the Northeast Senate race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Stupid tiebreaking laws might affect the Northeast Senate race  (Read 327 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:46:16 AM »
« edited: October 25, 2014, 02:49:49 AM by Bacon King »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If all three of Lief, Bore, and Matt are tied in first preferences, it immediately goes to a new runoff election with all three of them! Fun fact: the runoff part of CESRA says you can only vote for one candidate, and that a candidate must have a majority to win. Even in a three man race!

Also, say the vote spread ends up like it was on an earlier count: something like Lief 6, Matt 5, Bore 5. The first way to break the tie between Matt and Bore is to look at how many total preferences they got from every voter, no matter how low of a preference it might be.

So a vote like this doesn't count for Matt in this tiebreaker:

Quote from: Restricted

However, a vote like this would count for Matt to win the tie, even if all of Bore's votes will subsequently flow to Matt and cause Lief to lose:

Also, none of the votes below count for either candidate in the tiebreaker

Basically the tiebreaker is literally just "whose voters were less likely to bother to fill out their ballot?" and not anything that's a substantially meaningful tiebreaker. Not even "who had more support in a previous round" (although that wouldn't be applicable here)

What if, in the above example, Matt and Bore are tied for second place, and also tied in their total number of preferences? You know who breaks the tie then? The Senate! They would literally have to be rounded up so they can break the tie by voting for one of them over the other (so Senators from the Northeast would get two votes!) There are no further steps or anything- "part two" in breaking ties is literally "ok the other thing didn't work so the senate can pick a winner for us".

This all seems kind of ridiculous and we should probably change it. Assuming Lumine maintains his lead and wins, I will run in the Special Election to replace him and a bill fixing this silliness is the first thing I would propose.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 02:55:22 AM »

The fact that we're even having to talk about a potential tie in this race (though it happens in every NE Senate race) is pretty telling on the part of the NE electorate, but I have faith in four-term John Borre'w.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 02:57:07 AM »

I will do something about this.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »

The fact that we're even having to talk about a potential tie in this race (though it happens in every NE Senate race) is pretty telling on the part of the NE electorate, but I have faith in four-term John Borre'w.

I think the Northeast just likes close elections apparently?

Also if you look at second preferences, there's a wacky rock-paper-scissors effect going on. If Lief is eliminated first, the majority of his votes flow to Bore; if Bore is out first, then most of his votes flow to Matt; and if Matt loses first, his votes go to Lief. I mean, it's still early, but if the current trend holds then the strategic masterminds out there trying to game the race will basically need all three finishing in a specific order in the first round to achieve their desired outcome

Thank you kindly Mr Senator
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies