Abolish The Pacific: a four-region plan that might be crazy enough to work
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:20:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Abolish The Pacific: a four-region plan that might be crazy enough to work
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abolish The Pacific: a four-region plan that might be crazy enough to work  (Read 883 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:59:54 AM »

• The Northeast (40 people) and Mideast (48 people) are large and active so they're untouched
  • IDS (25), Pacific (26), and Midwest (29) are small so should be merged into two
  • The map is prettier if the Pacific is the one carved up
  • Also works because Midwest and IDS both have strong distinct cultures
  • The only notable thing about the Pacific is we literally tried to abolish ourselves already anyway
  • I gave the South Oklahoma and Kansas to make the map tidier
  • New South has 42 people, New Midwest has 38
  • I also gave the Maritime provinces from the IDS to the Northeast but they're unpopulated so it doesn't really matter
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:40:47 AM »

I guess this is a proposal I could support, but the great problem would be that we literally tried to abolish us. We (me, DemPGH, a few others) tried, and the Pacific was not in favour. Without approval from the Pacific, the South and the Midwest, this is not going to work; and I doubt the Pacific will now be in favour of this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:43:48 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2014, 05:46:18 AM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

I guess this is a proposal I could support, but the great problem would be that we literally tried to abolish us. We (me, DemPGH, a few others) tried, and the Pacific was not in favour. Without approval from the Pacific, the South and the Midwest, this is not going to work; and I doubt the Pacific will now be in favour of this.

And if you look at the voter rolls in the Pacific now, it surely isn't bound to happen these days. Even with a crowdsourced-aggregate map and detailed plan that we spent months on, people couldn't get on board. But anyone who's wanting to continue carrying the torch of consolidation need only finish ratifying FTRA in (2?) of the 3 regions that have yet to ratify it to begin the next phase (consent; Senate). If a majority of a regional legislature is willing to support that, then they can use the 17th Amendment to make it happen (at least that one part of the consolidation), but of course there is the part you mention about actually getting people to support it through a majority region-wide vote - which is part of the consent process. To start over again would be a waste of good legislative effort.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »

And if you look at the voter rolls in the Pacific now, it surely isn't bound to happen these days. Even with a crowdsourced-aggregate map and detailed plan that we spent months on, people couldn't get on board. But anyone who's wanting to continue carrying the torch of consolidation need only finish ratifying FTRA in (2?) of the 3 regions that have yet to ratify it to begin the next phase (consent; Senate). If a majority of a regional legislature is willing to support that, then they can use the 17th Amendment to make it happen (at least that one part of the consolidation)

Which regions haven't passed it? Is there a link to the text of this FTRA because it doesn't look like there's a spot on the Wiki for unsuccessful/yet-to-be-successful amendments to the third constitution
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »

And if you look at the voter rolls in the Pacific now, it surely isn't bound to happen these days. Even with a crowdsourced-aggregate map and detailed plan that we spent months on, people couldn't get on board. But anyone who's wanting to continue carrying the torch of consolidation need only finish ratifying FTRA in (2?) of the 3 regions that have yet to ratify it to begin the next phase (consent; Senate). If a majority of a regional legislature is willing to support that, then they can use the 17th Amendment to make it happen (at least that one part of the consolidation)

Which regions haven't passed it? Is there a link to the text of this FTRA because it doesn't look like there's a spot on the Wiki for unsuccessful/yet-to-be-successful amendments to the third constitution

If I remember right, the Pacific did. Since this is a Labor proposal, maybe the Mideast and the IDS?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:46 AM »

Pacific and Midwest passed it. The amendment votes were at the beginning of the year and had terrible turnout (which is why it got like 38% nationwide despite having majority support in several polls). .
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »

This a link to all amendments which haven't yet passed Bacon king- https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=196994.0
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »

If the North were to annex the Mideast, I would support it Confused
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:12 PM »

I actually like this map.

Also, out of curiosity, what are the islands down from Hawaii?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »

Thanks bore

I actually like this map.

Also, out of curiosity, what are the islands down from Hawaii?

Oceania, the state made of US pacific territories
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »

What is this madness?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »

Are you guys really still working on this? lol

Not having a Western-based region is silly. The Midwest/Mideast is obviously the least natural split.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:19:19 PM »

Not having a Western-based region is silly. The Midwest/Mideast is obviously the least natural split.

Idk nobody has talked about this in ages but I like the idea.

I agree not having a western region is silly but having a western region featuring Generalissimo Simfan as the entirety of the regional government is arguably even sillier, and those appear to be our only two options right now
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 01:35:36 PM by bgwah »

I agree not having a western region is silly but having a western region featuring Generalissimo Simfan as the entirety of the regional government is arguably even sillier, and those appear to be our only two options right now

Governments and activity levels are always changing. The Midwest has gone through long periods of severe inactivity and one-man governments, too. Yet you propose a permanent solution to a problem that is always ebbing and flowing.

Your proposed Northwest region will have such a tiny population it would be guaranteed to be the least active region.

I understand that I don't follow Atlasia as closely as I used to. While I could see certain anti-Pacific biases are playing a role here, what I see first and foremost is an attempt to gerrymander the South into a left-wing region. Will Atlasia's conservatives really allow that? I doubt it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 01:40:27 PM »

The problem of regions phasing out into functional inactivity isn't really tied to their number (well unless you have only two, I guess). Over the past decade regional government has sometimes lurched towards inactive joke status even in regions with large populations.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

Governments and activity levels are always changing. The Midwest has gone through long periods of severe inactivity and one-man governments, too. Yet you propose a permanent solution to a problem that is always ebbing and flowing.

Your proposed Northwest region will have such a tiny population it would be guaranteed to be the least active region.

I understand that I don't follow Atlasia as closely as I used to. While I could see certain anti-Pacific biases are playing a role here, what I see first and foremost is an attempt to gerrymander the South into a left-wing region. Will Atlasia's conservatives really allow that? I doubt it.

Actually, recent developments have left the Pacific as a potential right-wing region. Check out the rolls.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »

What is this supposed to mean? You want to abolish the region for the mere purpose of forcing me out of office? This is absurd.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »

I like the idea of districts in principle - at-large elections are dull - but the problem that would have to be dealt with is, as we've seen this election, crude strategic registration.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

Actually, recent developments have left the Pacific as a potential right-wing region. Check out the rolls.

Was I not supposed to expose your latest scheme in public? Sorry - I was just speculating, although I'm not surprised I'm correct. Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 03:37:05 PM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

Was I not supposed to expose your latest scheme in public? Sorry - I was just speculating, although I'm not surprised I'm correct. Smiley

Assuming you mean the registration shifts: that's not unknown. If you mean the regional map thing: believe it or not, I'm not involved at all with this latest idea. I proposed CARCA and if I was going to revive the idea it'd be the same idea.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »

What is this supposed to mean? You want to abolish the region for the mere purpose of forcing me out of office? This is absurd.

No Simfan you're actually doing a fine job as governor. I was just pointing out that the Pacific government is pretty much just a one man show
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

I like the idea of districts in principle - at-large elections are dull - but the problem that would have to be dealt with is, as we've seen this election, crude strategic registration.

As long as everyone gets outraged about it at some point, I see this as a feature. (Although we would need to address the "change your state every 48 hours" rule.)

If we have redistricting every four months (halfway between elections) and only allow any movement between states once every eight months I think that would help prevent major strategic registration problems with districts (i.e., if a party tries to pack a district the voters they move will be stuck there until the map-after-next is drawn, so the party would just be trading an advantage in one election for a disadvantage in the next)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 08:16:26 PM »

The redistricting process was very ugly, which was why it was possible to do away with it. I think you would need to look into having people other than the Governors do it; perhaps a panel could be drawn up by one of the Justices.

Of course if you have district seats, there is no real case for regional seats as well...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies