Should public schools stop funding sports programs? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should public schools stop funding sports programs? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should public schools stop funding sports programs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should public schools stop funding sports programs?  (Read 3250 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2014, 11:08:42 PM by Deus Naturae »

For the record I am not proposing that kids stop playing sports, only that these should be handled by community sports clubs rather than educational facilities. High school sports in particular, in my view, promote a toxic variety of tribalism (look at the reaction around Steubenville) and help to form a social elite both within and outside of the school environment which values said athletics while either disregarding or mocking intellectual pursuits and achievements.
If community teams replaced high school teams as the primary youth athletic organizations, a similar culture would grow around them as well.

Also, I doubt the existence of the teams themselves leads to their players being anti-intellectual. Stereotypical "dumb jocks" will exist regardless of whether they play sports at school or not. And, there are plenty of high school athletes (probably the majority in most schools, though maybe not in your experience) who don't fit that stereotype at all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies