Should public schools stop funding sports programs? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:16:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should public schools stop funding sports programs? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should public schools stop funding sports programs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should public schools stop funding sports programs?  (Read 3230 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 25, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »

No.  Sports have a lot of beneficial aspects.  They should probably stop funding whoever supplies their lunches.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

For the record I am not proposing that kids stop playing sports, only that these should be handled by community sports clubs rather than educational facilities. High school sports in particular, in my view, promote a toxic variety of tribalism (look at the reaction around Steubenville) and help to form a social elite both within and outside of the school environment which values said athletics while either disregarding or mocking intellectual pursuits and achievements.

I get what you are saying, but the smart kids always form their own cliques... and said smart kids are smart enough to realize that being king of the world in high school (as the athletes can sometimes be) is completely meaningless. 

And as for forming an overall community social elite where certain kids "get away with stuff" because everyone rushes to their side?  Let's face facts. 

If this one allegedly rapes a girl or gets involved in hazing...

...the community rushes to his aid. 

If this one makes even a threat after being verbally abused...

...they will be thrown to the wolves. 

And it has nothing to do with sports.  Unfortunate, but getting rid of sports in schools will not change that.  People are awful and drawn to protect the pretty white regardless of them. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »

I'm an educator. I say no. It does provide morale, an outlet for some students, and gives the kids something to do.

If the decision came down to fund academics and athletics though, academics comes first. I get beyond frustrated when I read about some suburban Texas school building a mufti-million dollar  football field and then find out they laid off a bunch of teachers.

There's your answer. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies