MW Governor FitzGerald Refuses to State How Old the Earth Is
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:43:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MW Governor FitzGerald Refuses to State How Old the Earth Is  (Read 841 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »

Governor of the Midwest, LeBronFitzGerald, has refused to state how old the earth is. This disturbing fact comes on the heels of a controversy regarding the Governor's support of teaching creationism over evolution.

Write In Charles Darwin for Midwest Governor.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:12:40 AM »

All this because of an obscure line in a post that "got noticed" late. As I said back in April (in response to Griff I believe), there is no such thing as the RL "don't respond lest you increase a controversy's visibility", in Atlasia. Here we have a small population, everything has a paper trail (posts) and if something is found (plenty of time for such to be found as well), it can be spread quickly.

Fitzgerald hanged himself by walking into this mess (the initial post) and then attempting to apply a real life political rule in a place where such doesn't work.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »

Update: This series of scandals has resulted in a collapse of public support for Governor Fitzgerald. The Governor is now seriously in danger of being defeated for re-election.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »

Good for him.  Anybody who tells you that he was there at the beginning is either a liar or a god, and since gods only exist in the minds of people, that pretty much narrows it down.

FitzGerald doesn't say how old it is because he doesn't know how old it is.  Neither do I.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

Good for him.  Anybody who tells you that he was there at the beginning is either a liar or a god, and since gods only exist in the minds of people, that pretty much narrows it down.

FitzGerald doesn't say how old it is because he doesn't know how old it is.  Neither do I.

I think 4.6 billion years is a good estimate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »

Would you please respect the fact that he chooses not to express his view on the age of the earth and not use that to destroy him politically?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »

Would you please respect the fact that he chooses not to express his view on the age of the earth and not use that to destroy him politically?

Basic science is not something upon which a candidate for Governor can simply "express his view".
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:15:15 PM »

Basic science is not something upon which a candidate for Governor can simply "express his view".

So you're expecting everybody to toe the Darwinian evolutionary line while blindly not even considering other views?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »

When it comes to the application of public policy .... yes.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »

You are aware Darwinian evolution doesn't even have a plurality amongst Americans/Atlasians. Would you like the stats on that?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 10:47:43 PM by IDS Speaker Flo »

You are aware Darwinian evolution doesn't even have a plurality amongst Americans/Atlasians. Would you like the stats on that?

yes, before the great beheading.

besides: we should be teaching kids science, not religion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:01:34 PM »

Neither did abolitionism at one point.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:30 PM »

Good public policy should be based on best-evidence... note the word... evidence.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »

I think 4.5 billion years is a better estimate, if you're going to use radiometric dating.  Actually, the oldest Earth rocks are only about 3.96 billion years, and the stuff that's over 4 billion years are meteors and other extra-terrestrial.  These trends come and go.  Lord Kelvin calculated a date based on cooling through conduction and radiation and decided the earth was 30 million years old based on the laws of thermodynamics.  Later Rutherford decided, based on isotopic dating, that it was maybe 500 billion years.  We're up to 4 billion now.  (4.5 billion?  Can we honestly claim two significant figures?!)

But why quibble over such things?  It all seems pretty far removed from the cost of a loaf of bread or a gallon of fuel.  Certainly the governor has more pressing issues to occupy his time.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »

lol jcl
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length