C.Barkley bashes black people that think some black people don't act black enoug
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  C.Barkley bashes black people that think some black people don't act black enoug
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: C.Barkley bashes black people that think some black people don't act black enoug  (Read 1071 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

Link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »

Yeah, black people like Charles Barkley can regurgitate racist tropes as well.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »

Yeah, black people like Charles Barkley can regurgitate racist tropes as well.

Yea.  The basic point was good, and then he kept rambling.  He should've stopped at the first sentence and then continued his 20 hours of ESPN basketball analysis. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »

He's not being racist.  I think he's just missing how that phenomenon is actually more universal. 

That's just the basic macho idiot attitude that exists throughout society.  For white people it's more like, "why are you reading that book you f****t," instead of "reading that book makes you too white."
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »

Sir Charles should stick to basketball analysis.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »

No, he should stick to his house. He has no business being on TV. Too dumb for that.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 05:06:30 AM »

No, he should stick to his house. He has no business being on TV. Too dumb for that.

T-R-B-L
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »

Clearly a bunch of middle class white people know more about black people than a black person.  The guilt is strong here.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »

Clearly a bunch of middle class white people know more about black people than a black person.  The guilt is strong here.

Yes, because a singular person from said race should be considered the ultimate expert on the topic based off of his one opinion alone...

Being a white male, I hope that you weigh my own views of my own race as heavily as you do Charles Barkley's take on his own.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »

Barkley is a wise man. Don't knock the guy.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »

Clearly a bunch of middle class white people know more about black people than a black person.  The guilt is strong here.
I don't think guilt is the right word to explain this particular form of denialism, but there is a remarkable refusal to acknowledge all sorts of uncomfortable realities. Not every black person has the same experiences in life, of course, but what guy has described is a very common phenomenon that has long been noted by black people like John Ogbu and John McWhorter. It's obviously much more of an issue from ages 12-30 than it is with small children or senior citizens, and it's worth pointing out that many grandmothers are black too, but to be frank, it can be observed easily in any black high school in the United States.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »

Yes, because a singular person from said race should be considered the ultimate expert on the topic based off of his one opinion alone...

Being a white male, I hope that you weigh my own views of my own race as heavily as you do Charles Barkley's take on his own.
Yes, he's the only black guy ever to say this Roll Eyes  How small is your world?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »

Yes, he's the only black guy ever to say this Roll Eyes  How small is your world?

No, but that's the one you're citing.

lol.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

Yes, he's the only black guy ever to say this Roll Eyes  How small is your world?

Nice backpedaling!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »

Nice backpedaling!

No, not really backpedaling at all.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »

P.Kemp is right. The only other person I can think of (off-hand) to say something similar to this is Bill Cosby. We can't possibly be talking about taking the opinions of two affluent black men more seriously than the opinions of white people solely because they're black. In some ways, being black and affluent can result in just as significant a lack of knowledge on this topic as being white in general can.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »

P.Kemp is right. The only other person I can think of (off-hand) to say something similar to this is Bill Cosby. We can't possibly be talking about taking the opinions of two affluent black men more seriously than the opinions of white people solely because they're black. In some ways, being black and affluent can result in just as significant a lack of knowledge on this topic as being white in general can.

Yikes...

- Barack Obama, 2004 convention speech

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19751-2004Jul27.html
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »

Did you miss Memphis's post?  Every Chris Rock stand up?  I got the link from a black man.  Have you ever watched Boondocks?  This isn't a view only held by a few people no matter how much you guys want it to be.  I'm not going to go as far as Chuck did and say it's the single biggest thing holding black people down, I don't know, but to hand wave it away like a few of you are doing won't make it go away.  There is a section of black culture that criticizes their fellow black men and women for "acting white", that thinks education is a waste of time and thinks you ain't really black if you don't fit into some stereotype.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »

Social identity politics has largely ruined the ability to have discourse on issues like this, because as evidenced by plenty of posts here, the conversation sidesteps actually engaging the points presented and focuses more on arguing about who is allowed to say what, and why. This is compounded by the (admittedly, well-intentioned) incredibly patronizing attitude from a lot of liberals that seem to treat women, various racial groups, and many religious groups as quaint little hive-minds that all seem to think alike and aren't, instead, actual human beings with conflicting ideas like every other group of people ever.

It reminds me of last year when Diane Sawyer interviewed the record number of female Senators and there was a segment somewhere in the middle where several of them (none of the anti-abortion Senators, conveniently) spoke up to complain about how "Us women just want the abortion issue to be settled, why is this issue constantly pushed on us by men!" Well, probably because the notion that women are somehow uniform on the issue is utter fiction and those men wouldn't be getting into office without thousands, even millions of female votes backing them up.

I don't necessarily agree with extent of Barkley's rant here, but to act like his opinion is all that crazy, or even all that uncommon, is dumb. And worse than that, it ignores what he said in favor of saying there's only one "right" opinion you can have as a black person, and any deviation from that is some sort of evidence of internalized racism, no other substantiation necessary.

I have a wild idea: Instead of arguing about who is allowed to say or think what, acknowledge the argument directly and judge it for being either right or wrong on its own merits.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 07:42:48 PM »

Yikes...

- Barack Obama, 2004 convention speech

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19751-2004Jul27.html

I'm always amused by the white people on here who seem to believe they can determine what opinions black people ought to hold about black people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »

and if they don't agree with them, then of course the black person is a racist against black people.  Somehow this all makes sense in their tiny, biased minds.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »

Wasn't Barkley considering a run for Governor of Alabama at one point?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »

I'm guessing R2 isn't coming back to the thread, but yes, he did.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2014, 08:03:12 PM by Lief »

Here's a good article about this phenomenon (i.e taking something that is widespread in American culture (kids bullying nerds) and then describing it as some unique pathology of black culture that is holding American blacks back).

And an excerpt from a good Jamelle Bouie article:

At most, he notes, there’s a “nerd bend” whereby students admire high achievers and bully the highest ones. But this is present among all races; wherever there are teenagers, “bookish, nerdish” kids are a target. Put another way, there’s a reason we have a Revenge of the Nerds franchise and most of its cast members are white.[/quote]
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

I don't think any one here is arguing against a certain race being successful and educated but I'm just not really sure why the Round Mound of Rebound would be more of a credible voice for a community than anybody else.

Maybe my issue here could be that it rings too much like "look! we got a good one!" especially from a site like TOP RIGHT NEWS, whose main sections linked at the top (including Ebola, Guns, Immigration, Obamacare, etc.) and subsequent articles read like my grandparents' chain e-mail reading list.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies