Hillary: "Businesses don't create jobs" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:05:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary: "Businesses don't create jobs" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary: "Businesses don't create jobs"  (Read 3006 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 26, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

She's absolutely right. Consumer demand creates jobs which is not directly in businesses control.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

She's absolutely right. Consumer demand creates jobs which is not directly in businesses control.

Actually, precisely the opposite. How much demand was there for iPhones, before Apple invented them? (Or, for that matter, how did the fact that iPhones were being supplied affect demand for Blackberries?)

A ton. The demand for cellphones was huge before the iPhone, which it supplanted, and landline phones had huge demand prior. A nice landline phone used to be a Christmas gift back in the old days.  The iPhone was created to built on consumer demand for phones that were cooler and more technologically advanced than the last.

I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post because it derailed already.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:26:43 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2014, 10:29:19 PM by King »

Actually, precisely the opposite. How much demand was there for iPhones, before Apple invented them? (Or, for that matter, how did the fact that iPhones were being supplied affect demand for Blackberries?)

A ton. The demand for cellphones was huge before the iPhone, which it supplanted, and landline phones had huge demand prior. A nice landline phone used to be a Christmas gift back in the old days.  The iPhone was created to built on consumer demand for phones that were cooler and more technologically advanced than the last.

I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post because it derailed already.

What's the price of an iPhone in 1997? It's impossible to know, because that market did not exist. What's the price of an iPhone in 2007? $399

Supply reveals demand. It is impossible for demand to reveal supply without time travel. To claim otherwise is pure economic quackery on the same level as the labor theory of value or the ideas of Warren Mosler.

If you don't understand the economic concepts I'm talking about, I would suggest you take my word for it instead of making yourself look foolish.

Except there were attempts by companies like Palm and even Apple with the Newton to supply the world with a iPhone/iPad-like technology by 1997 and nobody wanted it. You can't just artificially create demand because of a magic supply of new inventions that people may not need yet or may not afford.

It was not Applie's brilliant iPhone which expanded the cellular phone market but consumer shifts, such as a social decision to make every member of the family and not just the adults own a smart phone socially acceptable which expanded the consumer base. It was all on the people, not on the supplier.

Supply may reveal demand but that does not necessarily create a job. It creates a prototype.

Appeal to magical "I know more economic concepts than you" authority is false, I have studied economics fairly extensively in my years, but also pointless as anyone who has delved into the subject knows there's been an economic school constructed and extensive academic paper written for every point of view ever to exist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies