WI: President Theodore Roosevelt Runs for Re-Election in 1908
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:58:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  WI: President Theodore Roosevelt Runs for Re-Election in 1908
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: President Theodore Roosevelt Runs for Re-Election in 1908  (Read 3045 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:54:53 PM »

Looking back, it was one of his greatest regrets that he made the announcement after his 1904 re-election win that he would not seek another term in office after his current term.  So let's suppose that he wasn't so rash, left the door open for another run for office, and won another term as President in 1908.

What would have changed (from OTL) had Theodore remained President for another four years -at least until 1912? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:33:11 AM »

Well, the most obvious one is that White would not have been appointed Chief Justice in 1910.  That post would almost certainly have gone to either Taft or Hughes, probably Taft.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »

First off, if TR runs again in 1908, it's fairly certain he would have won. Like, I'm 99.9% sure of that.

The second is, I get the feeling that he would've gone further to the left as he did IRL. The Progressive Movement would've been championed and you'd probably see a more genuine social democratic tinge to future American politics. Women probably would've got the vote during this term as well.

I also think that TR probably would've led the country into a war on one pretext or another. However, I honestly think the biggest thing that kept him from actually going to war as President was the fact that him being in the White House would mean he couldn't go off and fight himself and that's something I think he'd find almost unbearable.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2014, 04:11:50 PM by Lincoln Republican »

This would be interesting.  

This would then mean that both Roosevelts would have been the only Presidents to have served more than two terms.

Johnson could as well have done this had he ran in 1968 and won.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:35:52 AM »

So could Truman, and don't think Wilson and Grant didn't try.

But he wouldn't get my vote if the Dems put up William Jennings Bryan again or any new guard Democrat (and not Bourbon ones like Alton Parker). I have a feeling he'd beat Bryan by similar margins Taft did given that it was thought was TR Part III anyway.

Women probably would've been able to vote sooner, the direct election of Senators would've probably happened,...and our history with Latin America would be even more bloody.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »

First off, if TR runs again in 1908, it's fairly certain he would have won. Like, I'm 99.9% sure of that.

The second is, I get the feeling that he would've gone further to the left as he did IRL. The Progressive Movement would've been championed and you'd probably see a more genuine social democratic tinge to future American politics. Women probably would've got the vote during this term as well.

I also think that TR probably would've led the country into a war on one pretext or another. However, I honestly think the biggest thing that kept him from actually going to war as President was the fact that him being in the White House would mean he couldn't go off and fight himself and that's something I think he'd find almost unbearable.

I've been reading an account of Theodore Roosevelt's 1912 campaign (very excellent imo) for my history class and according to it, TR didn't become a full-fledged Progressive until after his post-presidency partially due to travels in Europe so while he may have shifted somewhat to the left, it would have been more in continuity with his previous policies as opposed to the proto-New Deal "New Nationalism". 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies