Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:57:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY)  (Read 22651 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2015, 03:40:38 PM »

Governor, your decision on a very pressing issue is required.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »

Display his head on a pike in my office.

Also, I'm appointing pikachu to be my lieutenant governor.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:47 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Governor, your bill is now ready to be signed or vetoed
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2015, 02:34:14 AM »

~Sawx

SirNick, Scourge of the North, is a blackmailing terrorist. We need to actually criminalize blackmail, so I went and actually did it.

Also I have a CJO nomination who will be announced when Talleyrand swears in.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »

^ Do y'all mind if I copy and paste introduce a bill that's modeled after yours?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »

^ Do y'all mind if I copy and paste introduce a bill that's modeled after yours?

Go ahead.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

Display his head on a pike in my office.

Also, I'm appointing pikachu to be my lieutenant governor.

Horrible Decision.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 08:09:38 PM by cinyc »

It is very sad that you proposed and signed a bill that treats the CJO as a prosecutor.  As I told you when you proposed the bill, the CJO is NOT a prosecutor, but a judge.  

Now, you've created a crime that has to be prosecuted by the CJO.  Who is going to hear the case?  There is no impartial Northeast judge to hear it.  Are you expecting charges be filed before the Altasian Supreme Court?  They could - and should - refuse to hear a case that is solely based on Northeast law.  So your new law is unworkable.

Also, no regional government has the power to ban voting in a regional election.  Federal law is supreme when it comes to voting rights.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »

It is very sad that you proposed and signed a bill that treats the CJO as a prosecutor.  As I told you when you proposed the bill, the CJO is NOT a prosecutor, but a judge.  

Now, you've created a crime that has to be prosecuted by the CJO.  Who is going to hear the case?  There is no impartial Northeast judge to hear it.  Are you expecting charges be filed before the Altasian Supreme Court?  They could - and should - refuse to hear a case that is solely based on Northeast law.  So your new law is unworkable.

Also, no regional government has the power to ban voting in a regional election.  Federal law is supreme when it comes to voting rights.

Yes, that seems to be an oversight that I forgot to carry over when you amended the SirNick is a Terrorist Act. Considering the rapid pace that the Assembly is going at, I have full confidence a fix will be brought up soon.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »

Yes, that seems to be an oversight that I forgot to carry over when you amended the SirNick is a Terrorist Act. Considering the rapid pace that the Assembly is going at, I have full confidence a fix will be brought up soon.

I sent proposed language to Representative Winfield for a fix.

Like I said, though, I don't think we can ban someone from voting in regional elections.  There is an old court case involving the South's attempts to put different requirements for voting in regional elections than the federal ones.  The Atlasian Supreme Court held that they couldn't do so.

Also, while it's probably not your intent, a regional court can't ban anyone from holding federal office.  The "at any level of goverment" clause at the end of the law can't mean that.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 08:53:42 PM »

Like I said, though, I don't think we can ban someone from voting in regional elections.  There is an old court case involving the South's attempts to put different requirements for voting in regional elections than the federal ones.  The Atlasian Supreme Court held that they couldn't do so.

Also, while it's probably not your intent, a regional court can't ban anyone from holding federal office.  The "at any level of goverment" clause at the end of the law can't mean that.

Awesome. Consider my version a placeholder for until he introduces it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 08:58:58 PM by Barnes »

Also, no regional government has the power to ban voting in a regional election.  Federal law is supreme when it comes to voting rights.

Like I said, though, I don't think we can ban someone from voting in regional elections.  There is an old court case involving the South's attempts to put different requirements for voting in regional elections than the federal ones.  The Atlasian Supreme Court held that they couldn't do so.

Also, while it's probably not your intent, a regional court can't ban anyone from holding federal office.  The "at any level of goverment" clause at the end of the law can't mean that.

I was waiting for the appropriate time to intervene here.  Yep, that court case (Atlasia v. the Southeast II) was instigated by me during my time as Attorney General in 2010.

I argued (successfully, I might add) that since voter registration is inherently linked to citizenship, no region can maintain any form of voter registration that is different from the federal record.  
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2015, 11:47:53 PM »

Looks better than my fix.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »

Well, I will let the NE officeholders figure out the best way to address this issue, but I think that the amendments offered are effective.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »

Awaiting your signature Mr Governor
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2015, 02:36:06 AM »

Vetoed.

While this bill is a good idea in principle, the language in it actually requires, by law, for interns to be paid the minimum wage. Therefore, I must veto it for the same reasons that Matt and pikachu outlined - it denies businesses the freedom to choose to pay their interns more than the minimum.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2015, 12:06:25 PM by Speaker Blair »

Vetoed.

While this bill is a good idea in principle, the language in it actually requires, by law, for interns to be paid the minimum wage. Therefore, I must veto it for the same reasons that Matt and pikachu outlined - it denies businesses the freedom to choose to pay their interns more than the minimum.

I didn't want the bill to say that, and I didn't mean it to say that. The intention was that they had to pay the minimum wage or above. Matt and Pikachu misread the bill, or the intentions.

I will amendment it, and send it make to clear this up
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »

II have no doubts of your intentions. I'm just saying, the wording was bad.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »

Ready to sign or veto Mr Governor

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »

~Sawx. I like the Kurds.

Also appointing rpryor03 as CJO
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2015, 03:06:16 PM »

Got another hot of the press.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »

Signed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:04 PM »

Governor Sawx-

It has been mentioned in rpryor's confirmation thread that all it takes is three missed votes for a Northeast Representative to be removed from office.  That is true, under the Northeast Constitution.  But that provision has a long history, and was enacted when there was generally only one piece of legislation on the Assembly floor at a given time.   Now, there can be up to 4 pieces of legislation on the floor simultaneously, if you include the budget.

In order to stop turnover in the Assembly, it might be time to revisit the inactivity provision, increasing the number of missed consecutive votes to at least 6, to reflect this new reality.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »

When I arrived in the game there were two slots for legislation at the same time but the voting period was only 24 hours. We extended the period so representatives had more time to get their vote in. With voting of 48 hours if the speaker doesn't start final votes at the same time, a representative has many days to participate in the vote. That is for the voting function but the representative should also be around for the debate of bills function.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »

Sign away

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies