What's your favorite type of eschatology?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:00:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What's your favorite type of eschatology?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your favorite type of eschatology?
Post-tributional Premillennialism

Pre-tributional Premillennialism

Postmillennialism

Amillennialism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: What's your favorite type of eschatology?  (Read 3939 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_eschatological_views#Millennium_Chapter_20:_Three_views

I'm an Amillennialist, so I have to vote for that. Of course it's the most boring story, but that's not really what's important here.

If I weren't a Christian, I'd go with Postmillennialism for being the best story. As King and Nathan have noted in Update, Premillennialism is pretty ridiculous and makes little logical sense, in that Satan is going to wreak havoc AFTER a thousand year Christian utopia before being finally defeated. Postmillennialism also requires some odd and not all that literal readings of the Bible (which isn't in itself an inherently negative thing, but pretty bizarre from anyone claiming to be a strict Biblican literalist), but at least doesn't have the absurdity and "plot holes" the premillennial views do.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »

Also an amillenialist. Christians get far too hung up on the apocalypse when we're incredibly unlikely to live to see it. Instead of worrying about the End Times we should worry about the end of our own time, which for any of us could come at any moment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

I favor amillenialism, but the only one of the four listed options I certainly don't accept is the pre-tribulational one.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »

Looking for a Millennium as a solution to all worldly problems is a cop-out.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »

Historic Premillennialism. The term post-tribulation is misleading (though I don't think you are being misleading by using it). It assumes a dispensational (in the narrow sense) paradigm in which there is a seven year tribulation separating the present age of grace and a "restored" kingdom.

The historical argument against amillennialism/postmillennialism is just too great in my mind to ignore. We can see where, how, and why it developed. I have no reason to doubt that Papias and Polycarp were disciples of John, and if they were not then at the very least they came out of the Johannine tradition which produced Revelation and are the earliest identifiable post-canonical figures out of that tradition. Therefore, when we look at them and the next generation, consisting of men like Iranaeus and Justin Martyr, we have to give their eschatological views the most weight. There is no doubt that the two earliest post-apostolic generations were premillennial (see Quasten or Kelly). It also isn't necessarily tied to some kind of dispensational church-Israel dichotomy because probably the clearest early example we have of a denial of a church-Israel distinction comes from Justin, who was also premillennial (see Pelikan).

The rise of the spiritual vision model and importation of neo-platonic ideas into Christianity is responsible for the amillennial turn in Christian theology and the rejection of the new creation model. Craig Blaising, although still nominally dispensational, has an excellent analysis of this in his contribution to Zondervan's Three Views book on the millennium. If I were to be a consistent Baptist I don't think I could accept something so obviously non-organic to Biblical and apostolic Christianity. Of course I don't think it is a major issue in theology and I wouldn't put my view in a faith statement or confession.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »

There's also the pre-wrath premillennialism and Apostolic premillennialism teachings going around as well.

I favor amillenialism, but the only one of the four listed options I certainly don't accept is the pre-tribulational one.

What are your issues with the pre-trib view?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »

There's also the pre-wrath premillennialism and Apostolic premillennialism teachings going around as well.

What are your issues with the pre-trib view?

I don't see the text as supporting the view that the rapture could be an event separated in time from the second coming.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »

Post-tribulational premillennialism, because I believe that's what Scripture teaches.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 07:57:01 PM »

this kind:

"No matter! He is holy. He carries in his heart the secret of renewal for all: that power which will, at last, establish truth on the earth, and all men will be holy and love one another; and there will be no more rich nor poor, no exalted nor humbled, but all will be as the children of God, and the true Kingdom of Christ will come."
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »

I tend to agree more with Post-trib.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »

Post-tribulational premillennialism, because I believe that's what Scripture teaches.

With your understanding of scripture, would post-trib and pre-wrath be similar in view?
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »

Realized eschatology.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

In regards to Katie Couric's tweet to-day, how much do the Roman Catholic and mainline Protestant churches concern themselves with eschatology and for instance teach about it in sermons and the like?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »

I'm a Postmillennial - the Church through its expanding influence will usher in a period of peace and prosperity in preparation for the Second Coming of Christ. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »

Would you consider the 7th trumpet the same in Revelation as the same trumpet in 1 Thesslonians 4?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies