Obama Vs. Reagan!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:40:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Vs. Reagan!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Vs. Reagan!  (Read 1337 times)
ConnoRhett
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:27 AM »

Found a very strange article, comparing the things Obama is doing with Ebola to what Reagan did with AIDS.
(tried to post a link, but they say I have to have at least 20 posts to make it. So maybe later)
Okay, perhaps there would be fewer troubles if Reagan paid more attention to the problem quite at the moment it appeared, but that time no one knew what kind of disaster AIDS would turn into! And Ebola virus exists for almost half a century already, but no one paid attention to it until recently.
Of course there are absolutely no real problems here, and the most important thing our president can do is just to hug an infected person!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:23:37 AM »

Ebola presents no risk to developed nations whatsoever.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 05:40:35 AM »

True and neither is AIDS....and ebola is easier to get on accident.

(I'm not saying Obama has dropped the ball on ebola)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 06:36:37 AM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:06:40 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2014, 07:08:22 AM by Gravis Marketing »

With AIDS, it had already become a major disaster for gays in the U.S. by the early 80s, but at that time we weren't considered relevant victims for "real" Americans. Reagan didn't mention AIDS until 1986, I think, which was several years into the epidemic.

Reagan's response to Legionnaire's Disease demonstrated the government could move swiftly and loudly on a public health scare, even a trivial one, if the victims were significant.

Dems weren't much better than Reagan at the time. The hero was C. Everett Koop, a conservative Reagan appointee for Surgeon General who stepped up and did his job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »

With AIDS, it had already become a major disaster for gays in the U.S. by the early 80s, but at that time we weren't considered relevant victims for "real" Americans.
Looks like Deadman still feels that way. And it wasn't only gays. IV drug users and hemophiliacs were also wiped out by the thousands.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »

Hooray!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:26:59 AM »

Remember when swine flu was going to wipe out America?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »

lol yes. Dark days those were.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »

Don't forget the SARS. It even had a scary AIDSesque name. Oh noez!
ConnoRhett
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »

"Ebola's just a wise plot made by the authorities..." or any other conspiracy theory can be partly true! Cause everybody know there were no white man, who died of the ebola virus. It's just the way to kill the black people and decrease the world population!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

Antonio V does make a convincing case for this conspiracy.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 12:22:49 PM »

This is an article about moral equivalency as it pertains to politics, not public health. Therefore, people are supposed to let Obama off the hook or condemn Reagan, not imagine that diseases don't matter.

It's laughable the number of red avatars who are actually rallying to defense of Reagan by discounting the threat posed by ebola. Dangerously ignorant people who can't even understand the implications of articles written by their own pundits.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »

With AIDS, it had already become a major disaster for gays in the U.S. by the early 80s, but at that time we weren't considered relevant victims for "real" Americans.
Looks like Deadman still feels that way. And it wasn't only gays. IV drug users and hemophiliacs were also wiped out by the thousands.
WHAT?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »

To the extent that is true, it's only because it is being treated as though it is one.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »

WHAT?

I don't know exactly how a "threat" is defined.  No disease is an existential threat, but whatever happens with ebola, HIV will infect orders of magnitude more than ebola.  I think around one million Americans are HIV positive.  So, it's at least strange to equate HIV to ebola.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »

To the extent that is true, it's only because it is being treated as though it is one.

No, the big difference is that the US has the facilities and infrastructure to deal with it. You think in Africa the problem is simply that they're not treating ebola like it's a big deal?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

I remember being detained in Tokyo and again in Shanghai during that episode.  All flights originating from the US or Mexico were treated with caution.  One a flight I took, and all passengers were subjected to interviews and infrared body scans by folks dressed to avoid all human contact.  We sat on the plane for almost two hours at Narita airport before they let us off.  Later, in China, I was required to wear a mask if I went outside my rooms for the first four days of my visit.  It was a condition of my remaining in the country.  I felt silly with the thing on. 

The authorities in the densely populated countries in the world were swift and decisive, but I don't ever remember the US authorities over-reacting.  I don't think we're over-reacting to Ebola either. 

To the OP, such articles are always fashionable.  This is one.  It's silly.  Reagan is Reagan, and Obama is Obama.  Also, HIV and Ebola are different beasts.  The comparison isn't necessary, but it's the sort of thing we expect.  Remember when Saddam was the next Hitler?  Remember the polls on this very forum asking whether he'd be remembered so infamously?  Ten years on we still don't have a Godwin's Rule for the Baath party, do we?  Of course we don't.  People are always looking for historical parallels because it feeds the sensationalism.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 01:54:42 PM »

When I got the swine flu I had non-stop vomiting for two weeks, I had hallucinations, and my fever got up to 104. It was not a fun experience.

At one point I had to be hospitalized because the symptoms were so bad.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »

No, the big difference is that the US has the facilities and infrastructure to deal with it. You think in Africa the problem is simply that they're not treating ebola like it's a big deal?

I imagine if the official stance of an African government was "there's no risk of Ebola in our nation" the risk would thus become significantly worse there. Meanwhile our facilities and infrastructure could be perfect but if medical and public health professionals were to treat it as though the risk is nonexistent, that infrastructure would be useless against it except by accident.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Ebola did 9/11.
ConnoRhett
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 06:31:51 AM »

This is an article about moral equivalency as it pertains to politics, not public health. Therefore, people are supposed to let Obama off the hook or condemn Reagan, not imagine that diseases don't matter.

It's laughable the number of red avatars who are actually rallying to defense of Reagan by discounting the threat posed by ebola. Dangerously ignorant people who can't even understand the implications of articles written by their own pundits.
You know, everything that comes to us from the media has some political background. It's just about logic!
Everybody seems ignorant to somebody smarter, it's also clear!
Strange thing is that nonetheless Reagan ignored AIDS and caused this country lots of troubles, people still love him, cause he gave them hope and love to their motherland. There were no such thing as the American patriots before (at least it was not that common)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies