Begich about Murkowski: "She didn't like the photo"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:37:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Begich about Murkowski: "She didn't like the photo"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Begich about Murkowski: "She didn't like the photo"  (Read 1102 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2014, 05:27:29 AM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/lisa-murkowski-mark-begich-alaska-112230.html

Sen. Begich used Murkowski's picture in campaign ads and dismissed her complaints saying "she didn't like the photo". Murkowski shot back and said "that to me is offensive" and "no means no".

Too bad Begich is a Democrat and not a Republican incumbent. I'm sure we would have seen plenty of accusations of sexism otherwise. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »

The Democrats' War on Women continues. Sun rises in the east.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »

Is there any ground for Murkowski to stand on here?  I mean, your allowed to use your opponent's photos in ads however you want, regardless of whether they like them or not.  These photos are publicly available photos.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »

ITT: Conservatives utterly failing to understand what sexism is, thereby once again demonstrating their complete ineptness on this issue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »

ITT: Conservatives utterly failing to understand what sexism is, thereby once again demonstrating their complete ineptness on this issue.
I understand that Murkowski is in the wrong on this issue, but is Begich's response not sexist? Isn't this the type of statement that would have people going nuts if he was Senator Mark Begich (R-AK) instead?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »

It's more offensive that Murkowski is acting like using her likeness in an ad is equivalent to being sexually assaulted (with the "no means no" language) IMO.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2014, 09:18:46 AM by Mehmentum »

I understand that Murkowski is in the wrong on this issue, but is Begich's response not sexist? Isn't this the type of statement that would have people going nuts if he was Senator Mark Begich (R-AK) instead?
True.  Begich should have responded better than saying 'she didn't like the photo'.  I'm not usually the type to cry sexism though.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »

It's more offensive that Murkowski is acting like using her likeness in an ad is equivalent to being sexually assaulted (with the "no means no" language) IMO.

Why would we expect any different behavior from Princess Lisa?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

What's sexist about saying "she didn't life the photo"? It seems like an accurate description of what occurred. She didn't like the photo.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »

For the record I think Murkowski is on shaky ground when she complains about Begich using her picture. She's a senator and therefore there is nothing objectionable about the fact that photos of her are used in campaign ads.
I also don't think Begich's remark, which he apparently made in jest, is sexist. What I'm suggesting, however, is that similar comments by, say, Mitch McConnell would have provoked entirely different reactions. It's actually not too hard to spin such a remark in a way that says "patronizing male senator claims that a female officeholder's main concern is her looks in campaign ads", hence the potential sexism accusation.     
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

Tell us more, expert privileged male child.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »

The whole back and forth between Begich and Murkowski is mere trite. There should be no controversy about Begich's ad.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »

Pretty sure implying Murkowski doesn't want Begich to imply her support for him because she doesn't like the photos he's using, as opposed to their real policy differences, is an incredibly sexist position to take. It's sick to see the apologism in this thread.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »

Pretty sure implying Murkowski doesn't want Begich to imply her support for him because she doesn't like the photos he's using, as opposed to their real policy differences, is an incredibly sexist position to take. It's sick to see the apologism in this thread.
Interesting, what do you make of what Begich said in the linked article, about them voting together 80% of the time?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »

Words like these being used are unfortunate, but are more of a reflection on the fact that politics is still an old white boy's club more so than what Begich himself believes. Change needs to happen in all parties, don't get me wrong. But there are bigger symptoms to tackle than this quote.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »

For crap's sake, this is not sexist, as last time I check, anyone can dislike a photo.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »

Interesting, what do you make of what Begich said in the linked article, about them voting together 80% of the time?

Open Congress comparison gives a figure of 64% similarity. This is fairly significant, but it is less than 80% and it leaves the two of them a wide margin of difference. Murkowski is well within her right to feel Sullivan would be a better Senator and to ask Begich to refrain from trying to paint an image of support coming from her for his campaign.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »

What's next from this sexist pig? Begich refers to her as the Senator from Alaska because she's not good enough to join the Alasko boys club?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »

What's next from this sexist pig? Begich refers to her as the Senator from Alaska because she's not good enough to join the Alasko boys club?
^Preach
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »

True.  Begich should have responded better than saying 'she didn't like the photo'.  I'm not usually the type to cry sexism though.

I think Begich means that Murkowski didn't like that there was a photo of both of them together, rather than her looks in the photo.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

The Republicans' war on women is extremely devastating
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies