Battle of the polar opposites: FDR vs. RWR (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:34:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Battle of the polar opposites: FDR vs. RWR (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Better Pres?
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Ronald Wilson Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Battle of the polar opposites: FDR vs. RWR  (Read 2080 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: October 28, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »

I mean I don't really get how anyone can say that Reagan was better if you support capitalism, given that without FDR you'd probably have had a red flag over the White House by 1945.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

I wouldn't normally consider these two to be polar opposites, except maybe on the budget.  FDR tried to bring the budget back into balance once he thought the economy was back on track, but that lead to the recession of 1937-8.  Conversely, Reagan didn't worry about trying to balance the budget, which in part is why the economy did so well.

I would hardly say that unemployment never going under 7 percent during his whole term in office is an economy that is doing "well," especially when you compare it to the almost nonexistent unemployment figures of the 1950s and 1960s, or the near total employment of everyone in the country during Roosevelt's Third Term. As far as neoliberal Presidencies go, Reagan definitely did the worst job of handling unemployment, although Obama definitely gives him a run for his money there, with Clinton doing the best thanks to the tech boom of the 1990s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies