Palin may run in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:37:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Palin may run in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Palin may run in 2016  (Read 2381 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/28/sarah-palin-run-for-office_n_6063228.html

LOL! I loved this quote from her:

"If they want a fighter, if they want someone...who...can so...respect, our exceptionalism, everything that makes America great. The promise of America. And if we don't find that, I could run."
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »

Lol
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »

Nope, she won't.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:47:35 AM »

This is all I have to say to Palin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXfS8Zv3Fds
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »

Wonderful news!
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »

It should be noted how board Republicans responded to this.

She'd have no shot.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 11:23:25 AM by Liberalrocks »

Absolutely Splendid News~!!

I really had been quite bored with Saturday Night Live lately, I was hoping Tina Fey would return.

Even I had thought Palin wasn't that delusional about her broader public image, but perhaps I was wrong.

I really look forward to this, popcorn ready.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »

She'd have no shot.

To be fair, probably about 2 Republicans on this board like Santorum, and he finished second in 2012.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »

Absolutely Splendid News~!!

I really had been quite bored with Saturday Night Live lately, I was hoping Tina Fey would return.

Even I had thought Palin wasn't that delusional about her broader public image, but perhaps I was wrong.

I really look forward to this, popcorn ready.

This is only a threat from here as she's tired of all the bullying. Of course she will never run for Office again. Her stepping down as a Governor proves that point a million times over.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »

Of course she wont run, she is just looking for attention. I hope she goes on another ridiculous bus tour right before the filing deadlines like she did in 2011, but this time hopefully no one pays attention to her.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »

DS0816
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »

She'd have no shot.

More interesting is just how many of them (percentage wise) voted for her in 2008.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

Who's Palin? Are we talking about Michael Palin?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »

She probably won't but in the event she does that will probably make the 2016 Republican primary the most entertaining ever.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »

It'll be 1964 all over again...
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 04:06:09 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »

Who?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »

Who is she?
I don't remember her.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

She's just doing this to raise more attention. I don't know if the country will elect a person who was involved with a publicized family brawl. But, in America, anyone can be elected.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »

She won't run for President in 2016, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her run for something again at some point down the road. Like Jeb, her best shot at the presidency was probably 2012. She would have taken the lead of the non-Romney candidates (her only competition would have been Perry), and could have defeated Romney in the primary. She may challenge Lisa Murkowski in 2016. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see her as Secretary of the Interior if Cruz or Paul manages to get elected.

You really think the Senate would confirm her? That would go over about as well as Hillary nominating Obama for the SCOTUS.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »

She won't run for President in 2016, but I wouldn't be surprised to see her run for something again at some point down the road. Like Jeb, her best shot at the presidency was probably 2012. She would have taken the lead of the non-Romney candidates (her only competition would have been Perry), and could have defeated Romney in the primary. She may challenge Lisa Murkowski in 2016. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see her as Secretary of the Interior if Cruz or Paul manages to get elected.

You really think the Senate would confirm her? That would go over about as well as Hillary nominating Obama for the SCOTUS.
They would confirm her. A cabinet confirmation requires a simple majority, with the Vice President breaking ties. If the Republicans keep the senate, it's a no brainer. But even if not, senate confirmations are supposed to be apolitical. They are intended to see if a nominee is fit to hold the office, regardless of their politics. The majority of senate confirmations are near unanimous one way or the other.

Chuck Hagel, a former Republican Senator, only got confirmed 58-41. And his nomination was filibustered beforehand, so you don't just need a simple majority. It's not the 20th century anymore. Palin couldn't even make it through a Republican Senate (unless they nuked the filibuster), much less a Democratic one.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

They would confirm her. A cabinet confirmation requires a simple majority, with the Vice President breaking ties. If the Republicans keep the senate, it's a no brainer. But even if not, senate confirmations are supposed to be apolitical. They are intended to see if a nominee is fit to hold the office, regardless of their politics. The majority of senate confirmations are near unanimous one way or the other.

Chuck Hagel, a former Republican Senator, only got confirmed 58-41. And his nomination was filibustered beforehand, so you don't just need a simple majority. It's not the 20th century anymore. Palin couldn't even make it through a Republican Senate (unless they nuked the filibuster), much less a Democratic one.
Confirmations require 51 votes. A simple majority. Until last year, fillibusters could only be stopped with a super majority of 60 votes. Harry Reid changed the rules, so fillibusters can now be halted with 51 votes.
And do you really think that if Ted Cruz were elected president, Republican senators wouldn't vote to confirm Palin as Secretary of the Interior? When it comes to management of national parks, she's right in lock step with the majority of the Republican party. That might be a tough one to explain to their constituents.

Ah, I forgot the rules change applied to Cabinet nominations as well, my mistake. Cruz will never win the presidency, so it's irrelevant anyway. Paul is smart enough to not touch Palin with a ten foot pole if he did win. If it did manage to happen, Murkowski hates Palin and would never vote to confirm her, and there are some other blue/purple state Republicans that would be hesitant to do so as well. Obviously no Democrat would. I'm also not sure why anyone would expend so much political capital early on just to get an unpopular quitter on their cabinet.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »

So she doesn't get confirmed?

Honestly though I don't even think a GOP Senate would confirm her. It wouldn't even get to have a vote, McConnell would privately tell the President that it isn't going to happen and to please not force them to vote her down openly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies