Palin may run in 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:00:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Palin may run in 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Palin may run in 2016  (Read 2401 times)
Cory
YaBB God

« on: October 29, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »

They would confirm her. A cabinet confirmation requires a simple majority, with the Vice President breaking ties. If the Republicans keep the senate, it's a no brainer. But even if not, senate confirmations are supposed to be apolitical. They are intended to see if a nominee is fit to hold the office, regardless of their politics. The majority of senate confirmations are near unanimous one way or the other.

So she doesn't get confirmed?

Honestly though I don't even think a GOP Senate would confirm her. It wouldn't even get to have a vote, McConnell would privately tell the President that it isn't going to happen and to please not force them to vote her down openly.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »

Okay, so most likely Cruz isn't going to be the next President, so Palin most likely won't be nominated for Interior Secretary, so this isn't a constructive conversation, but to respond, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think that a GOP senate would confirm her, and I don't believe it would be a party line vote. John Kerry got unanimous confirmation for Secretary of State, despite his deeply polarizing political views. They're not going to put up  fight over the Interior Secretary.

Why not? They can use her polarizing nature as a wedge issue to force Cruz to waste political capital. She's an easy target and hard to defend. Why would Cruz want such a wild card in his cabinet to begin with?

And regarding McConnell quietly asking President Cruz to not nominate her. Cruz doesn't listen to McConnell when he's a first term junior senator. You think he'll start listening when he's President of the United States? There is nobody in the senate who is more willing to stick to their guns than Ted Cruz.

If McConnell get to decide who gets confirmed or not it won't matter if Cruz wants to "stick to his guns". It will be clear that nobody wants this and Cruz won't waste his political capital on something so stupid and useless to begin with. Although being a radical Cruz is much more politically savvy then a lot of people think.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies