GOP attempting to purge 1 in 7 black voters from voter rolls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP attempting to purge 1 in 7 black voters from voter rolls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: GOP attempting to purge 1 in 7 black voters from voter rolls  (Read 1789 times)
Knives
solopop
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »

Haha, taxes are immoral now?  Ohh, Republicans.

The Founding Fathers identified government as a necessary evil.

The Founding Fathers were ing morons.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:45 PM »

How is there not national outrage against the Republicans?  Like... marched out of the Capitol with pitchforks and torches?  Real stuff.  They are openly reprehensible on most issues, openly trying to stop people from voting, openly waging war on anybody who is not rich, and they are literally about to win a midterm election.  This country needs to start treating them like the far-right fringe plutocrats that they are.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

How is there not national outrage against the Republicans?  Like... marched out of the Capitol with pitchforks and torches?  Real stuff.  They are openly reprehensible on most issues, openly trying to stop people from voting, openly waging war on anybody who is not rich, and they are literally about to win a midterm election.  This country needs to start treating them like the far-right fringe plutocrats that they are.

I think you're overestimating how much people pay attention. To most it probably just boils down to: "hmm, I'm dissatisfied with things right now, I guess I'll vote against the party in charge" and there's really only one other option to vote for.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 09:34:09 PM by shua »

I wonder how they got the info on the race of the people who had their entries flagged, given that sort of thing is not listed on voter registration forms anywhere so far as I know.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »

I think you're overestimating how much people pay attention. To most it probably just boils down to: "hmm, I'm dissatisfied with things right now, I guess I'll vote against the party in charge" and there's really only one other option to vote for.

Largely true.  Much apathy brought on by relative comfort.  As much as I would love some social upheaval against the GOP, there is something to be said for the stability of the USA.  Look how other countries devolve into chaos, even other Western European nations.  If the Democrats could just get out from under their own lobbyists and beholders, and gain the trust of the majority of American people (who don't trust ANYBODY right now), we really could throw out the friggin GOP en masse. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »

I wonder how they got the info on the race of the people who had their entries flagged, given that sort of thing is not listed on voter registration forms anywhere so far as I know.

Is the basic problem here that people tend to forget to cancel their old registration when they move?  Perhaps, it's that Hispanics and blacks tend to be more transient because of poverty. 

Also, what seems like a better explanation, is that black people tend to have English last names, Hispanics tend to have Spanish last names, whereas whites have last names from all over Europe.  So for example, there are more registrations tossed out by mistaking Garry Smith for Garry Smith than mistaking Garry Kowalski for Garry Kowalski.

Or, people could just look for names like Jamal and Jose and knock them off.  I hope that would never happen and I actually think even Republicans are above that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »

And still Rand Paul somehow finds the nerve to go out to African-Americans, and ask them for their support...   

If this does not fit the definition of chutzpah, I don't know what does. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »

Is the basic problem here that people tend to forget to cancel their old registration when they move?  Perhaps, it's that Hispanics and blacks tend to be more transient because of poverty. 

Also, what seems like a better explanation, is that black people tend to have English last names, Hispanics tend to have Spanish last names, whereas whites have last names from all over Europe.  So for example, there are more registrations tossed out by mistaking Garry Smith for Garry Smith than mistaking Garry Kowalski for Garry Kowalski.

Or, people could just look for names like Jamal and Jose and knock them off.  I hope that would never happen and I actually think even Republicans are above that.

According to the article it is in fact mainly the broader use of a limited selection of last names that is leading to the ethnic disparity.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 03:09:52 AM »

Because constricting voting is morally reprehensible?

So are taxes, but that's never stopped Democrats from raising rates and expanding taxable transactions.

Comparing taxes to voting restrictions, are we?  Even if we accept the premise that taxation is a 'necessary evil', we wouldn't be able to say the same thing about voting restrictions; no, we just call that evil.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

Comparing taxes to voting restrictions, are we?  Even if we accept the premise that taxation is a 'necessary evil', we wouldn't be able to say the same thing about voting restrictions; no, we just call that evil.

Non-citizens are not allowed to vote, and citizens are not allowed to vote more than once in the same election. Are those restrictions really a moral crisis?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »

Non-citizens are not allowed to vote, and citizens are not allowed to vote more than once in the same election. Are those restrictions really a moral crisis?

*facepalm*

Way to deliberately "miss" the point.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

Unfortunately, the more off-the-wall they get in their political statements this year, the more the polls seem to go in their favor.

It's what they say in secret that counts. Senator McConnell has said that he wants a return to the shyster economy of Dubya. If we get it again, then mark my words -- we all but ensure ourselves another speculative boom like that of the Double-Zero Decade that may be over some different object than real estate, but that will implode at least as severely.

Face it, people -- you can't time the market to buy cheap and sell just before things go sour and then live well off the money that you secrete under a mattress so that you can live like a sultan during a hyper-deflation.

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

Unfortunately, the more off-the-wall they get in their political statements this year, the more the polls seem to go in their favor.

It's what they say in secret that counts. Senator McConnell has said that he wants a return to the shyster economy of Dubya. If we get it again, then mark my words -- we all but ensure ourselves another speculative boom like that of the Double-Zero Decade that may be over some different object than real estate, but that will implode at least as severely.

Face it, people -- you can't time the market to buy cheap and sell just before things go sour and then live well off the money that you secrete under a mattress so that you can live like a sultan during a hyper-deflation.

It would help if you understood the political economy of "Dubya".

Obama is expanding SNAP and Medicaid as well as raising taxes on the "rich", who are actually just high-income working class, which is an important distinction to make because raising their taxes has higher dead weight loss than raising cap gains on the genuinely wealthy. The individual mandate is creating a part-time economy.

Republicans don't like the economic inefficiency associated with funneling money into bureaucracies, and then empowering the bureaucracy to buy products on behalf of people (or restrict their choice). Instead, they would give refundable tax credits, preferably in the form of EITC to lower-middle working class. Republicans also hate productivity restrictions.

Democrats are buying votes just like they did in the LBJ days. There is no underlying economic premise and no hope for populist economic gain. As Krugman pointed out, the policies are a wash, at best, and we should be thankful that ill-conceived economic policy has not thwarted natural market corrections.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »

All of this is, of course, irrelevant to the fact that constricting voting is morally reprehensible.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 01:49:16 PM »

All of this is, of course, irrelevant to the fact that constricting voting is morally reprehensible.

You know as well as I know that enforcing citizenship restriction and single-vote-per-election are critical for a functioning democracy.

Whether or not Republicans are actually achieving these goals is open to interpretation, but attacking the underlying premise is a fool's errand.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

You know as well as I know that enforcing citizenship restriction and single-vote-per-election are critical for a functioning democracy.

Whether or not Republicans are actually achieving these goals is open to interpretation, but attacking the underlying premise is a fool's errand.

Thing is, it's not very credible when the effects of the issues you describe are negligible. That'd be like investing resources in order to come up with ways to reduce traffic congestion in Wyoming.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

I have no problem if the GOP wants to do a taxpayer funded mandatory free photo ID for every adult in the country and then require photo IDs at the polls.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »

I have no problem if the GOP wants to do a taxpayer funded mandatory free photo ID for every adult in the country and then require photo IDs at the polls.

No, no, no, King!  What government waste!  Just use your driver's license!  And if you are silly enough to leave that at your mansion, just bust out the country club membership card!  What effects on the vote could THAT possibly have? 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 05:22:56 PM »

If the government requires citizens to purchase something from the government (and ID) in order to vote, then it is a poll tax.

Plus the notion that the GOP are just trying to stop 'fraud' is shown to be a lie because in addition to purging roles and requiring IDs they are also trying to reduce early voting, especially on Sundays before elections (when black churches organize vote drives).

There is no great and honorable principle at hand, they simply want to be sure that there are barriers to vote for those less likely to vote for them. They have given up on appealing to these voters and just want them to go away.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies