Are you concerned about ethics in video game journalism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:55:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are you concerned about ethics in video game journalism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well, are you?
Yes, this is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE for me.

No, I'm not some neckbearded MRA idiot.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Are you concerned about ethics in video game journalism?  (Read 1196 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »

Huh
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »

who cares
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »

No, nor am I concerned about how the portrayal of Princess Peach is sexist.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:52 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 12:02:34 PM by traininthedistance »

That's fair as far as it goes– but it might just be a good idea to care about harassment and death threats.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »

I think most journalism is basically just a tool of the PR industry.  When it comes to journalism covering a specific hobby or industry be it cars or music or video games, journalism is synonymous with PR.  But, in the grand scheme of things, the biased PR driven nature of journalism on a hobby is not worth worrying about for a second.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 12:08:07 PM by Lief »

I think it's resulted in some terrific memes, so in that sense yes.

Obviously the gamergaters need to be swiftly and decisively droned though, and I hope President Obama and the top brass at the Pentagon/CIA are working on how to most effectively carry out the mission.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »

Not really as I don't play many video games. However, Quinn and Sarkeesian et al are pretty much the worst, making the entire situation something best avoided.

That's fair as far as it goes– but it might just be a good idea to care about harassment and death threats.

Death threats via the internet are some of the least credible things out there. You get death threats if you post something against the circlejerk on Reddit or against an SJW on Tumblr, for example, but you'd be a paranoid idiot to take either seriously. It's also hard for me to take internet harassment seriously (especially from strangers) compared to real life harassment as it's so incredibly easy to avoid it on the internet.

Now, it's certainly not a good or nice thing to do, but it's not really notable.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »

To be fair, these death threats went beyond a few casual "omg i will kill you". These were specific and targeted threats that have forced multiple people to leave their homes; and serious enough for the police to be involved.

As for "ethics in journalism", it's further proof that the public collectively will pick up any old stupid cause if it means the joys of self-righteous anger.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

I think the journalists who are being grilled are unethical, but it's far from the primary thing that I think about.

Besides, they're just like most other journalists.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »

The poll is a false dichotomy.

Yes I don't like how gaming media is largely a farce that exists to parrot projects for personal/economic favors but I don't and wouldn't affiliate with the so-called "Gamergate" crowd.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »

No. Video game "journalism" (yeck) is a cesspool, even without sexual favours issues.

The whole drama just makes me glad I stopped following it in high school.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2014, 02:04:58 PM by Snowstalker »

Video game journalism (like most journalism) is obviously awful and corrupt, though clearly the Gamergate crowd doesn't care about ethics as much as they have led themselves to believe. At best it's a somewhat understandable (though very much misguided) reaction to seeing social criticism and analysis of their hobby, at worst it's blatant misogyny.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »

Yep, I couldn't give less of a shinks over this as well.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

Obviously it is an issue. But in contrast to the ultra-misogynistic, quasi-fascist GamerGate movement, its small potatoes. It's like comparing an amoeba to a Blue Whale, although that may be an understatement.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »

Not really as I don't play many video games. However, Quinn and Sarkeesian et al are pretty much the worst, making the entire situation something best avoided.

Death threats via the internet are some of the least credible things out there. You get death threats if you post something against the circlejerk on Reddit or against an SJW on Tumblr, for example, but you'd be a paranoid idiot to take either seriously. It's also hard for me to take internet harassment seriously (especially from strangers) compared to real life harassment as it's so incredibly easy to avoid it on the internet.

Now, it's certainly not a good or nice thing to do, but it's not really notable.

Dude, people like Brianna Wu have had their personal details exposed and have been forced to flee their houses for months because of this; Sarkeesian had to cancel a talk because of a shooting threat that the authorities certainly took seriously.

You're comfortable dismissing that as "not credible"?  You think that's equivalent to even the strongest words coming from Redittors or SJWers or any other community?  Look, I'll gladly grant that a lot of these folks can use sloppy logic and be kind of a hive mind, it's okay to dislike them, but there's just no legitimate comparison between them and Gamergate and it discredits you to pretend that there is.

As for Sarkeesian... no matter how much "the worst" you think she is, surely you can agree that she has the right to engage in her critiques without fearing for her life?  Surely you can agree she isn't worse than Stormfront?  Look, while I'm sympathetic to her general project, I don't necessarily think she gets all the details right; there are some overgeneralizations and uncharitable readings there that I'd certainly quibble with.  But these Gamergate f**ks aren't poking holes in her logic, they're reacting with blind fury at the idea that how dare anyone engage in cultural critique.  That's something different.  And, well, they're doing more to prove her right (or at least, on the relative side of right) than anything she could say or do herself.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »

Yes I suppose so.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

Obviously it is an issue. But in contrast to the ultra-misogynistic, quasi-fascist GamerGate movement, its small potatoes. It's like comparing an amoeba to a Blue Whale, although that may be an understatement.

The GG movement is far less powerful than you think it is.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »

New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »

There probably is not an issue less important to me than ethics in video game journalism.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 07:06:49 AM »

That's not the issue. This is the best thing I've seen on it so far.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 07:39:44 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2014, 07:42:21 AM by Mechaman »

lolvideogamejournalism

I wasn't aware that this was a thing until Snowstalker brought it up one time in IRC chat.  Really, most of the people involved in video game journalism are kind of self-embarrassments but that should be obvious to anyone.  While I don't agree with the hyper-feminist crowd that insists that we need to get rid of the hooker scenes in Grand Theft Auto games, Princess Peach needs to wear coveralls, or that Lara Croft needs to wear a professional business suit and be put in a game where she is the new Human Resources Director at a corporation that sells excavation equipment, it's clear there is a pretty obvious MRA element in the "ethics" movement (like the fact that they bother to attack such ideas so thoroughly in the first place).

So yeah, not really.  Bring up ethics where it actually matters.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

The poll is a false dichotomy.

Yes I don't like how gaming media is largely a farce that exists to parrot projects for personal/economic favors but I don't and wouldn't affiliate with the so-called "Gamergate" crowd.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »

I have a British-American friend that I served in the Navy with that is deeply involved in this saga as a long-time Internet denizen (he'd been part of 4chan's /b/ army forever before they moved on).  He sent me some youtubes on the subject that said at the very least would show me what an interesting saga it has been.  I've yet to watch them, but he claims to have some extremely disparaging evidence against this Zoe girl.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies