Starting to look like a nationwide bloodbath...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:17:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Starting to look like a nationwide bloodbath...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Starting to look like a nationwide bloodbath...  (Read 2364 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

Sorry Democrats, it seems that things have taken a turn for the worse over the last couple of weeks. I don't think the Democrats will be able to keep the Senate, the loss of seats in the House may be worse than expected and even the mighty Democratic gubernatorial wave is weakening.

At least you guys can take comfort in the fact that all of this will likely become a prelude to Clinton blaming most of the country's problems on the Republican Congress on her way to the White House (I won't - I don't want her anywhere near the Presidency but I digress...).

So yeah, I'd expect the worst and just be pleasantly surprised if things don't turn out as bad as they're looking right now.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »

Overall, "late deciders" typically break for the challengers, which is in this case, is the GOP.  I actually thought the Democrats had some MO until the last week or so.  The CO especially aren't looking very good and that in my opinion is the litmus test.  CO Republicans have done horribly at the top of the ticket since Bush carried the state in '04 by five points, but this year, they may have finally gotten it right. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:21:31 PM »

Where is this coming from? I think you should read this article:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/senate-update-the-momentum-mirage/

Yeah, Democrats are underdogs to hold the Senate and will likely lose seats in the House. But that's been true for a long time now. There's been no huge break toward the GOP in the past week.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:31:33 PM »

The only thing I can possibly do to impact this is to vote for my candidate of choice (who is a near-lock to win) on Tuesday.

Beyond that, this is out of my control. I have no control over who wins in Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, or Louisiana. As such, I can promise you that will not lose a second's worth of sleep over it.

However, I would lose significant sleep if Michigan State doesn't beat Ohio State on November 8th.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:33:29 PM »

Yeah it's getting pretty depressing. It looks like we'll lose a lot of races by very slim margins.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »

To be fair, you guys still have a lot of momentum down here in Florida. You might not get the Senate, but you can pick up a few governors mansions at least.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

Yeah it's getting pretty depressing. It looks like we'll lose a lot of races by very slim margins.

Yep.

I'm still going to have fun on election night. I haven't been able to care all that much about the actual results of these things in years anyway. I get most of my election night rush from the vote trickling in and trying to figure out who is going to win but not necessarilly the end result in itself (unless something really crazy/hilarious happens like McConell losing or whatever).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »

This isn't any bloodbath. Think of it as a setback from 2008, when the D's gained 8 seats. What was going to get done anyway with a D Senate and R House?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »

To be fair, you guys still have a lot of momentum down here in Florida. You might not get the Senate, but you can pick up a few governors mansions at least.

True. Some governorships are more valuable than others. One really shouldn't get caught up too much in the "net gains" when it comes to this. PA/FL governorships are extremely valuable going into 2016. If we get those two (well, we already have one), they're far more important than dinky ones like MA/RI/AK/AR/CT/ME.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »

This isn't any bloodbath. Think of it as a setback from 2008, when the D's gained 8 seats. What was going to get done anyway with a D Senate and R House?

Judicial appointments.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Judicial appointments.

Also, any legislation which comes out of an R congress is going to be nonsense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

Nah, a bloodbath would be losing about 10 Senate seats or more and not gaining any governorship. This is probably not what's going to happen next week.

We are likely to lose the Senate because the map is heavily slanted against us and because the GOP actually recruited some good candidates for a change, but the aggregate numbers still indicate a very modest Republican edge.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »

Its not all bad news for the Democrats.

It looks like we'll pick of the Pennsylvania and Florida governorships, and have shots in Wisconsin and Michigan, which are all very important.

Most of the Senate losses will be in deeply red states, where losing is disappointing, but not a sign that Democrats have a long term problem.  Not to mention, Democrats put up a good fight in Georgia, Kansas, and Kentucky. The fact that they can make these races competitive in a midterm election could be a good sign for 2016 and beyond.  I'd especially would like to see how Georgia continues to evolve.

Braley and Udal squandering their Senate races are the biggest disappointments.  We need to learn from what happened in those two races, because Democrats won't be able to compete in the Senate if we loose purple states like that. (Since there are more Republican states than Democratic states, Democrats need to win the vast majority of purple state contests).

The same thing happened in Nevada in 2012.  Shelly Berkley was a terrible candidate that squandered what should have been a Senate pickup.  We didn't really focus on that race because the Democrats did so well otherwise, but in hindsight we should have.  We've done an excellent job of recruiting top tier candidates in red states (see Nunn and Grimes for examples this cycle), but can't just expect to win in states like Iowa, Nevada, and Colorado with mediocre candidates.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »

Democrats only hope is that the likely voter models totally blow.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »

Even if Dems win in WV, MT, SD, KS, LA, GA, KY, AK and AR, they'll probably loose alot of them in 2020.

Take the hit now. Win later.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »

We already tried a Clinton with a Republican Congress. Terrible combination.

As for this election, while there could easily be more Senate seats lost than in 2010, you have to look at what's up, and what kinds of states. If the Democrats have a net loss of 7 or 8 Senate seats, 2006 and 2010 will remain more impressive waves in the Senate, even though they were only 6.
KCDem

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »

The concern trolling is strong in this thread.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »

While Rick Scott losing will be cool, it's almost impossible to muster even the slightest bit of enthusiasm about another Republican taking his place.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

If we lose the Senate this year, we still have a really, really good chance of recapturing it in 2016.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

When Republicans win both the Senate and the House, then the Democrats can play up the "They aren't getting anything done!" card fully.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »

Nope, Nunn may very well win, and Orman and Hagen, and we will still have Majority.

Not conceding anything until it is really over.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »

Nope, Nunn may very well win, and Orman and Hagen, and we will still have Majority.

Not conceding anything until it is really over.

Watch OC be the only one right on November 5
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »

While Rick Scott losing will be cool, it's almost impossible to muster even the slightest bit of enthusiasm about another Republican taking his place.

Did you not get the memo? It's now Crist (D). Wink

Crist was pretty moderate as a Republican and has moved to the left since switching, so I don't know why so many people have gripes with him.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:21:02 PM »

We already tried a Clinton with a Republican Congress. Terrible combination.

That balanced budget was rough.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »

Let's see, the economy is improving strongly, millions of people are signed up for health insurance, and we're largely out of Iraq and Afghanistan, yet supposedly all is horrible because of a couple of beheadings in the ME and one guy died of Ebola?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies