SC - Ervin (I) drops out endorses Sheheen (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:31:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC - Ervin (I) drops out endorses Sheheen (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC - Ervin (I) drops out endorses Sheheen (D)  (Read 452 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/28/3773874/ervin-drops-out-of-governors-race.html

I just don't get it.  Haley's going to win anyway.  Ervin did about as well as one could reasonably expect of a third party candidate where neither major party candidate was stuck with a scandal or the like.  Other than making a total fool out of himself, I don't see what Ervin accomplished by dropping out less than a week before the election.

As for his suggestion that his supporters switch to Sheheen, as far as I'm concerned fuhgeddaboudit.  It baffled me that the Dems in this state thought Sheheen would have any chance in a rematch with Haley, he ran a poor campaign in 2010 and he didn't noticeably improve.  Of the other two candidates, French (L) and Reeves (United Citizens) they both have run typically quirky third party campaigns, but their main issues aren't ones that I consider a priority, and French is just too libertarian for me to consider unless I desperately needed to make a protest vote, but I don't feel that need this year.  And so, I regretfully have to conclude that of the schmucks still running for governor, the one who would be most likely to get what I want done done is... Haley.  Hopefully we'll get a better governor than Nikki in 2018.  Almost certainly the Democrats will field a better candidate than Vincent in 2018.  But for 2014, with Ervin dropping out, I'm shifting my support to Haley.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »

Yeah, what's the point? Haley will win easily anyway.

Too bad Cutler couldn't do this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/28/3773874/ervin-drops-out-of-governors-race.html

I just don't get it.  Haley's going to win anyway.  Ervin did about as well as one could reasonably expect of a third party candidate where neither major party candidate was stuck with a scandal or the like.  Other than making a total fool out of himself, I don't see what Ervin accomplished by dropping out less than a week before the election.

As for his suggestion that his supporters switch to Sheheen, as far as I'm concerned fuhgeddaboudit.  It baffled me that the Dems in this state thought Sheheen would have any chance in a rematch with Haley, he ran a poor campaign in 2010 and he didn't noticeably improve.  Of the other two candidates, French (L) and Reeves (United Citizens) they both have run typically quirky third party campaigns, but their main issues aren't ones that I consider a priority, and French is just too libertarian for me to consider unless I desperately needed to make a protest vote, but I don't feel that need this year.  And so, I regretfully have to conclude that of the schmucks still running for governor, the one who would be most likely to get what I want done done is... Haley.  Hopefully we'll get a better governor than Nikki in 2018.  Almost certainly the Democrats will field a better candidate than Vincent in 2018.  But for 2014, with Ervin dropping out, I'm shifting my support to Haley.

How'd Sheheen come so close in 2010 if he ran such an awful campaign?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »

lolsheheen
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

I just don't get it.  Haley's going to win anyway.  Ervin did about as well as one could reasonably expect of a third party candidate where neither major party candidate was stuck with a scandal or the like.  Other than making a total fool out of himself, I don't see what Ervin accomplished by dropping out less than a week before the election.

As for his suggestion that his supporters switch to Sheheen, as far as I'm concerned fuhgeddaboudit.  It baffled me that the Dems in this state thought Sheheen would have any chance in a rematch with Haley, he ran a poor campaign in 2010 and he didn't noticeably improve.  Of the other two candidates, French (L) and Reeves (United Citizens) they both have run typically quirky third party campaigns, but their main issues aren't ones that I consider a priority, and French is just too libertarian for me to consider unless I desperately needed to make a protest vote, but I don't feel that need this year.  And so, I regretfully have to conclude that of the schmucks still running for governor, the one who would be most likely to get what I want done done is... Haley.  Hopefully we'll get a better governor than Nikki in 2018.  Almost certainly the Democrats will field a better candidate than Vincent in 2018.  But for 2014, with Ervin dropping out, I'm shifting my support to Haley.

Haley was a relatively unknown young State Representative who had been closely associated politically with Mark Sanford.  His trip down the Appalachian Trail almost did in Haley even tho she had absolutely nothing to do with it.  If it hadn't been for Sanford's indiscretion, Haley easily would have gotten 55-43 instead of the 51-47 result she did get.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »

Haley was a relatively unknown young State Representative who had been closely associated politically with Mark Sanford.  His trip down the Appalachian Trail almost did in Haley even tho she had absolutely nothing to do with it.  If it hadn't been for Sanford's indiscretion, Haley easily would have gotten 55-43 instead of the 51-47 result she did get.

Fair enough
KCDem

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »

Haley leads by as much as she did in the 2010 polls. She'll win but it'll be close.
Recalcuate

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »

Yeah, what's the point? Haley will win easily anyway.

Too bad Cutler couldn't do this.

Now that will surely throw the race in the South Carolina Democrat's favor, said no one who has studied the 2014 South Carolina's governor's race ever.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »

Ervin was a great candidate, one of my favorite candidates this cycle
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies