2014 October Presidential elections, political loser
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:54:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2014 October Presidential elections, political loser
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who is the political loser of the presidential elections among the Atlasian parties?
Federalist Party

Labor Party

The People Party

Democratic-Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: 2014 October Presidential elections, political loser  (Read 2198 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:22 AM »

This poll is for all registered voters and will run for 5 days.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »

IMHO, there aren't losers.

Federalist Party: Lumine has won, kept the seat in IDS and made the Midwest Senate race competitive.
TPP: SJoyce is the new VP.
Labor: Marokai has lost, but the party has won the seat in Mideast and kept the seats in Midwest and Northeast.
D-R: Poirot has achieved a good result.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »

Lumine won, the Federalist Party lost. Lost a safe seat by an overwhelming margin. I wish my party had done slightly better in terms uniting conservative support in the Mideast, but Cassius was the incumbent. I also wish we had recruited more in other regions (I have some regrets about not giving Yankee a perennial challenge).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:20:47 AM »

The Federalist Party has never won. It could be argued that the Right has never won, because the only times in which it has, it's been by electing people who play both sides of the aisle. The Federalist Party doesn't inherently play both sides of the aisle; only its successful presidential nominees do, and the party never has any control over them.

On the other hand, TPP didn't even field a candidate. If we buy into the whole "Lumine's a Manchurian People who infiltrated the Federalist Party to win for TPP", then maybe this isn't the case. Barring that, then we saw a good chunk of TPP members, including leadership, throw by the wayside their ideological principles in order to vote for a guy who was already going to win anyway. Oh, and this was the guy who left them while being their only Senator.

Hard for me to choose, but it definitely wasn't Labor or D-R, both of which had remarkably stronger showings than anyone predicted.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:45:49 AM »

Windjammer was elected so its a loss for Atlasia.

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »

I guess no one will argue that D-Rs and Labor lost this election, but I have a hard time arguing for both a TPP or Federalist lose. Surely, TPP didn't even field a Presidental candidate, but still hold the same number of Senators that Labor and the Federalists (if we don't count Lumine) have, with me being (re)elected without a challenge; won the Northeast Governor race by an impressive margin and together with Federalists took over the Pacific.
Federalists on the one hand lost a race they should not have lost, in their heart region; yet they won the presidency.
Labor's candidate may have lost, but Windjammer's win and TNF and Bore's reelections surely make up for that, and for their loss in the Northeast. (I guess no one can argue that Fitzys little debacle is to be credited for the party at-large)
Poirot has massively exceeded any predictions, as such, D-Rs are surely not the losers of this election.
I would say there was no one single loser, rather a combination of parties doing well in one field and bad in another...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »

Fitzy's figurative loss is his own fault for acting like a real politician in an imaginary world.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

Fitzy's figurative loss is his own fault for acting like a real politician in an imaginary world.

That was what I tried to say. Not Labor lost that race, Fitzy himself did.

By the way, why is no one suing him for certifying the results for him, saying he won when he didn't?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »

That was what I tried to say. Not Labor lost that race, Fitzy himself did.

By the way, why is no one suing him for certifying the results for him, saying he won when he didn't?

It was based on something I said, but I forgot that Midwest elections were five days instead of three. That is a relic of my Administration and probably should be changed, but since Hash changed his name within time, a lawsuit should be made. I'm sure Hash or someone else is working on it.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »

Windjammer was elected so its a loss win for Atlasia.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:28 PM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »

Windjammer was elected so its a loss for Atlasia.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »

There are no real winners or losers when it comes to the parties, really.

Labor may have defied expectations in this moment, with Windjammer in particular showing some savvy, but the long-term health of the party remains in question as far as I'm concerned. Lumine won, but the Federalists showed themselves as hopelessly disorganized yet again. The D-Rs showed impressive solidarity but remain a wedge. TPP has a Vice President, but it remains to be seen if they will just completely disintegrate the second they actually have to do any serious governing, as they did last year.

There is still plenty of uncertainty abound, and as Nix has pointed out, I'm not sure long-term trends favor any of the political organizations. But that may just be the pessimist in me.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »

The Federalist Party has never won. It could be argued that the Right has never won, because the only times in which it has, it's been by electing people who play both sides of the aisle. The Federalist Party doesn't inherently play both sides of the aisle; only its successful presidential nominees do, and the party never has any control over them.

Reading the later part makes sense, but that first part made me roll my eyes hard. Isn't the game supposed to be building coalitions of voters?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »

Reading the later part makes sense, but that first part made me roll my eyes hard. Isn't the game supposed to be building coalitions of voters?

Adam has always set the terms of the game based on what is possible for the left to do and then pans the right for always failing to measure up. If the left is perpetually gurranteed to win every time, the right might as well just leave. At least half a dozen people on the right have left the game precisely on that motivation.

On most every issue in the second term, Duke and the Federalist Party were on the same page. In the first term there were problems and both you as then chair and myself as practically the liason, all three of us are to blame for the lapse in the first two months as well as the confused nature of the February situation thus. But as for control, what kind of control is to be expected? I didn't see Marokai, Nix and DemPGH being "controlled". Sounds rather ominious, rather man behind the curtain if you ask me. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »

Lumine won, the Federalist Party lost. Lost a safe seat by an overwhelming margin. I wish my party had done slightly better in terms uniting conservative support in the Mideast, but Cassius was the incumbent. I also wish we had recruited more in other regions (I have some regrets about not giving Yankee a perennial challenge).

Two people went inactive between the September Regional election and October and one more since August, some of our people moved as did Zuwo and that whole Hifly-LGBT education thing was a severe blow (in more ways then one). A bunch of lefties moved in and Cassius is not a good fit for many libertarians, though arguably Windjammer struggles in that dept as well. Cassius also has a forum reputation weighing him down and was an appointed/confirmed incumbent, not an elected one to begin with.

You actually probably would have defeated me this time as I had little ability to campaign and contacted not a single IDS voter at any point in the election except Duke and Jbrase who I texted a few times on a relative's phone when I lacked access. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

The Federalists can't really lose because they're a joke party at this point.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »

Adam has always set the terms of the game based on what is possible for the left to do and then pans the right for always failing to measure up. If the left is perpetually gurranteed to win every time, the right might as well just leave. At least half a dozen people on the right have left the game precisely on that motivation.

On most every issue in the second term, Duke and the Federalist Party were on the same page. In the first term there were problems and both you as then chair and myself as practically the liason, all three of us are to blame for the lapse in the first two months as well as the confused nature of the February situation thus. But as for control, what kind of control is to be expected? I didn't see Marokai, Nix and DemPGH being "controlled". Sounds rather ominious, rather man behind the curtain if you ask me. Tongue

nix and dempgh administrations were product of the labor party
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »

When Labor controls presidents, the game goes to hell. So I don't think that's anything the other parties should emulate.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »

I don't think there were any losers.

Labor wound up picking up a Senate seat due to windjammer being the best, the Federalists won the Presidency, Poirot completely outperformed his expectations, and we would have probably swept the Northeast if we ran someone like Cincinnatus against bore.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »

When Labor controls presidents, the game goes to hell. So I don't think that's anything the other parties should emulate.

I see you're becoming increasingly hackish in your old age. Obviously the game didn't go to hell when both Marokai and Nix were Presidents; in fact, in many respects, the game was never better in the post-dissolution era than during this time.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »

Two people went inactive between the September Regional election and October and one more since August, some of our people moved as did Zuwo and that whole Hifly-LGBT education thing was a severe blow (in more ways then one). A bunch of lefties moved in and Cassius is not a good fit for many libertarians, though arguably Windjammer struggles in that dept as well. Cassius also has a forum reputation weighing him down and was an appointed/confirmed incumbent, not an elected one to begin with.

You actually probably would have defeated me this time as I had little ability to campaign and contacted not a single IDS voter at any point in the election except Duke and Jbrase who I texted a few times on a relative's phone when I lacked access. 

You guys elect people who either don't share your values, or at least don't care to stand up for them when in office. I know, I know, "uneven playing field" and all that. It's not as if Labor ever had the entire game united against it. Wink

That's what I mean by having no control. Duke basically signed off on every major piece of Labor legislation during his tenure (save for a few of the most extreme, and in most cases, only modest modifications were needed). Despite the fact that all three of "my Presidents" will tell you that I never coerced them into acting against their will on any significant element, I would have publicly disavowed any of them had they given in as much as the Right does any time it holds the White House (of course, we don't have much of a track record to go on here, and I only personally recall one President "from the Right", but I've heard enough about Tmth's tenure to draw the same conclusion).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »

I see you're becoming increasingly hackish in your old age. Obviously the game didn't go to hell when both Marokai and Nix were Presidents; in fact, in many respects, the game was never better in the post-dissolution era than during this time.

Labor didn't control Marokai. It started to control Nix, and things got nasty when it did.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »

Labor didn't control Marokai. It started to control Nix, and things got nasty when it did.

As I've already said, Labor never "controlled" anyone in the sense you're implying, so just stop. As I'm sure you're very aware, a President can't be forced to do much of anything
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »

No, but some presidents are more impressionable than others. I think the electorate understands what it means to elect a Laborite to the White House now, though. Y'all kind of did the work for me. Not that I think the Federalists will ever be able to capitalize on it...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies