stormin' norman Vs. Bill Clinton in 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 04:34:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  stormin' norman Vs. Bill Clinton in 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: stormin' norman Vs. Bill Clinton in 1996  (Read 1465 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2005, 04:21:00 PM »

what if stormin norman ran agenst Bill Clinton in 1996 what would have happened would Clinton have been relected?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

Yep.  Billy was pretty darn well invincible.  And although Norman's personal charisma was certainly better than Dole's ... he was a political novice and certainly would have made many mistakes along the way.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 04:29:51 PM »

John Ford made some good points about McCain possibly beating Clinton. Not that I'd want McCain.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »

i think that norman would have beaten clinton because of his gulf war reputation and if he selected a good moderate running mate like arlen spectrer he would have beaten clinton
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:10:30 PM »

Clinton, although closer. McCain would have easily beaten Clinton, without a doubt.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:54:08 PM »

Yep.  Billy was pretty darn well invincible.  And although Norman's personal charisma was certainly better than Dole's ... he was a political novice and certainly would have made many mistakes along the way.

polls at the time showed that Colin Powell would have defeated Clinton easily, now if there was a campaign.... we'll never know.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 12:40:16 PM »

I'll be honest, I have no idea what Norman's politics are like.  Until I know, I'd vote Clinton.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 06:31:22 PM »

I think it goes without saying that Powell would beat Clinton, and I think McCain could have beaten Clinton.  Had Ginrich held his wad and not passed welfare reform for a third time letting Clinton finally sign it and instead used it as a campaign issue, the GOP could have even elected Dole.

Norman?  No idea, since he was politically untested.  I'd imagine not.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 06:44:50 PM »

There was no reason for the voters to replace Clinton in 1996.  Powell and McCain would have been forced to run a campaign identical to Dole's.  Simply attacking Clintons character and not his record.  Both would have ended in the same result, IMO.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 07:34:20 PM »

norman i heard is a pretty coservitive guy, i think he would have won the GOP nomanation easily and and would have picked a moderate VP with wide appel like Arlen Spercter and he would have won in a fairly close election agenst Clintion
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:01:27 PM »

There was no reason for the voters to replace Clinton in 1996.  Powell and McCain would have been forced to run a campaign identical to Dole's.  Simply attacking Clintons character and not his record.  Both would have ended in the same result, IMO.

I don't agree that there was no reason to replace Clinton.  I think anyone who thinks Colin Powell wouldn't have walked into the Oval office if he'd wanted is deluding themselves.  He was Eisenhower all over again, only more so because he'd take many black voters from the Democrats.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 10:07:42 PM »

I don't agree that there was no reason to replace Clinton.  I think anyone who thinks Colin Powell wouldn't have walked into the Oval office if he'd wanted is deluding themselves.  He was Eisenhower all over again, only more so because he'd take many black voters from the Democrats.

I don't agree that Powell and Eisenhower are even comparable. Except for the fact that they were both generals.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 03:58:54 AM »

I don't agree that Powell and Eisenhower are even comparable. Except for the fact that they were both generals.

Why exactly aren't they comparable?  They were national heroes, and neither could have been stopped in a national election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies