Office of Senator Windjammer (Foreign issues) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:22:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Windjammer (Foreign issues) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Senator Windjammer (Foreign issues)  (Read 2020 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 01, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »

It appears that the Northeast region is making fun of the mormons. Considering that the ME has an important Mormon community (2 mormons are in my region), I believe this is my duty to try to overturn this anti-mormon bill. Join me in the fight!

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:26:13 AM »

Alright. Now that I'm sober, I'll actually type up a legitimate response to this.

First and foremost, I'd like to address Senator windjammer's actual concerns with the bill. His actual concerns seem to be based off of a misunderstanding of the Restoration of the Arts Act (OOC: which is understandable given the language barrier). Specifically, the text of the bill states, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic shall be sung by an all LGBT student choir, dressed as mormons, to honor the performance of The Battle hymn of the Republic, by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir." Windjammer said, in his suit, that "The Clause 5 of this bill forces every LGBT student in the Northeast to be dressed as Mormons." As Exiled Citizen Altsomn Stmarken says, it's simply a choir uniform. Nobody's trying to discriminate against our vibrant gay community, and the law doesn't say that we're trying to make all LGBT students dress a certain way. Thus, I see no way to strike this down under Article VI, Section I.

Aside from personal concerns, I'm not exactly thrilled with you making this a public speak. I appreciate your concern, but you have the power to come make your input in my region's threads - as Simfan did with some of my region's. If you had a problem with the legislation, you could have popped in, made an appeal to not pass it (since I never really had much of a strong opinion anyway and chatted up the conservative crowd), and simply left this type of action as a last resort. Since you aren't SirNick, the worst you'd get is an "ayy lmao".

As for your new argument that the Northeast is attacking the Mormon community, it's simply not true. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is a treasured part of our culture, and Matt simply wanted to pay our own tribute to it. It's also worth noting that the Northeast has actually legalized polygamy and that Matt and I have defended the law against its repeal. This actually gives Mormons the right to practice their religious freedoms if they so choose, and we are the only region to actually give them the right to this practice. Let's not focus on some bill that's in the process of being fixed right now. Let's focus on the actual religious freedoms that Mormons are being denied almost nationwide. I urge you all, from you to the rest of the regions: let's legalize polygamy.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »

*I wasn't talking specifically about your concerns of making fun of the Mormons. I was talking about your original concern of discrimination against religious freedom.

*During debate. Not after debate. I'm simply saying I don't appreciate you trying to publicly start a fight on shaky grounds.

*And I've actually been working with some of the right behind the scenes to help fix it.

*I certainly don't appreciate you trying to use out-of-context remarks to try and attack me. Polnut is a personal friend of mine who actually made it clear that he wasn't serious. You can accuse me of anything - making fun of Mormons (rich coming from a region that illegalizes polygamy), sue, the whole nine yards. However, where I draw the line is you deliberately trying to take my friend's quote out of context to try and suggest the rift we had is still there.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »

*I wasn't talking specifically about your concerns of making fun of the Mormons. I was talking about your original concern of discrimination against religious freedom.

*During debate. Not after debate. I'm simply saying I don't appreciate you trying to publicly start a fight on shaky grounds.

*And I've actually been working with some of the right behind the scenes to help fix it.

*I certainly don't appreciate you trying to use out-of-context remarks to try and attack me. Polnut is a personal friend of mine who actually made it clear that he wasn't serious. You can accuse me of anything - making fun of Mormons (rich coming from a region that illegalizes polygamy), sue, the whole nine yards. However, where I draw the line is you deliberately trying to take my friend's quote out of context to try and suggest the rift we had is still there.
Well, you need to calm down.

On the bright side, I'm fairly sure we've hit peak irony.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »

Well there are certainly better ways to do it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2015, 03:14:40 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

Well there are certainly better ways to do it.
And much more terrible ways too. That's not like if I was opening threads blaming you "SAWX INCOMPETENT FOR GOVERNOR" or trying to struck down just 1 week before the election. Yes, personal experience haha.

Listen to me, I was in the same situation than you 9 months ago when I signed the terrible lebron bill. I simply apologized for having signed this crap. If I had tried to defend it, it would have literally backfired. Just an advice.

I'm quite familiar (and am actually in the midst of fixing it right now - once these next few bills pass, it'll be on the floor). I'm not saying that this bill is constitutional - in fact, there are clear constitutional concerns with this bill. They're just not the concerns that you're highlighting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies