The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:29:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed)  (Read 1708 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2014, 04:12:57 PM by President LumineVonReuental »

Slot: 1 (General, PPT Administered)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senator Cynic, as sponsor you have 24 hours to advocate for this act.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:12 PM »

To put it simply, this is designed to begin the process of term limits for the Senate. I figured that 4 consecutive terms for a Senator (elected after the act passes) would be enough to start with before some fresh blood would be allowed to have a go.

As we've seen, lots of people have wanted to run for the Senate in the past few elections. This bill is designed to open up the opportunity for them to serve and prevent incumbents, no matter how good, from holding on indefinitely. Not many Senators also reach 4 terms, make no mistake, some do, and we're serving with a few who have. They are tremendously talented at their jobs. However, every so often, we need fresh blood and fresh ideas.

This bill also doesn't prevent a Senator from returning to office again, so it's not designed to exclude great Atlasians. A four consecutive term limit I think is a fair thing that we can agree to in order to help prevent stagnation of fresh ideas.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »

Generally turnover is high, with the occassional bore/TNF/bgwah/Duke that can stretch it out to two years continuously.

No one has been able to stomach it longer.

No one except me. Evil

The problem with this is that it could cause seat filling problems. Even when it looked like I was doomed with no internet late last month, there was little interest in taking the seat and Maxwell can correct me if I am wrong, but basically if I had failed in such there would have been something of a scramble to find someone. 

Regions go through ruts and shrinking the potential poll candidates, particularly when aside from myself, there has not been a problem with people long remaining in this chamber doesn't seem like a good move.

Plus I have full faith in the people of the IDS to elect their Representatives.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »

I'm really torn on term limits. One half says it's a good way, as this Bill intends, to inject fresh blood. The other half is concerned that we might well force out good and active Senators unnecessarily and while we've had some fantastic Senate races of late, that enthusiasm might not last and we end up with some... less-than-ideal candidates.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:14 PM »

Generally turnover is high, with the occassional bore/TNF/bgwah/Duke that can stretch it out to two years continuously.

No one has been able to stomach it longer.

No one except me. Evil

The problem with this is that it could cause seat filling problems. Even when it looked like I was doomed with no internet late last month, there was little interest in taking the seat and Maxwell can correct me if I am wrong, but basically if I had failed in such there would have been something of a scramble to find someone. 

Regions go through ruts and shrinking the potential poll candidates, particularly when aside from myself, there has not been a problem with people long remaining in this chamber doesn't seem like a good move.

Plus I have full faith in the people of the IDS to elect their Representatives.

Well, as you say, the turnover can be high, so there's not always a need for it. I think though as well to Senator Polnut's point, that interest can be kept up with frequent competitive races. There are plenty of races I've seen here where people simply don't want to run a campaign they feel like they'll lose from the start. With term limits, those individuals might be more easily persuaded to run for an office they might want. I think on the whole this should be a positive and only rarely do Senators serve more than 4 terms anyway, so this might be an extra kick in the pants.

Besides, even if you get a bad Senator for one term, the original Senator could run again in the next election if it was really that much of an issue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »

The competativeness aspect is a different one from that of interest. Competativeness can be determined by the partisanship of the region as well. So a rightist in the Pacific or a liberal in the IDS would be just as discouraged from running with or without Bgwah/myself. On the other hand you have the interest question which is more generalized and where I think you would run into the bigger problem and not just about getting a bad Senator, but potentially no Senator. We have had races like these before.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »

Competitiveness, however, is not a natural state. It tends to be driven a few external factors that do ebb and flow in Atlasia.

So I'm wary of putting the Senate the mercy that when a term ends, the Senate doesn't lose someone experienced and active, only to be replaced by someone who might be a down-grade.

I'm not dismissing this as an idea, but I'm definitely very wary of this particular step to address problems.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »

Shouldn't this be an amendment?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

It's worth noting that in the entire history of the senate only yankee (obviously), tnf, me, gabu, duke and bgwah have served more than 4 terms, so I don't think this is that big a problem, though I can see the case for it.

And I'm not saying this from self interest either, as I can't see myself staying in the senate much longer, even if the people of the northeast wanted me to.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 02:27:04 PM »

It's worth noting that in the entire history of the senate only yankee (obviously), tnf, me, gabu, duke and bgwah have served more than 4 terms, so I don't think this is that big a problem, though I can see the case for it.

And I'm not saying this from self interest either, as I can't see myself staying in the senate much longer, even if the people of the northeast wanted me to.

There's a grandfather clause in there for you, Yankee and TNF, I believe. The four term limit only applies after the next election, so you'd each have four extra terms if you could get them. As well, like you say, most Senators don't serve this long, so I don't foresee the kind of issues that many of you raise. I would see them if say, it was a two term limit. So few Senators serve four consecutive terms that I feel as though the problem of harming the quality of debate would not happen. That's why I chose four because so few people serve so long. If you have a different number of terms in mind (say five or six), I'd be open to hearing that.

Senator TNF's amendment is friendly. If it needs to be an amendment rather than an act to be enforceable that's no issue with me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

I know Senator Cynic wants to improve things with this amendment but I have never been a fan of the princip of "term limit".

I believe that this is the right of the people to decide if they want to continue to have their senator, not us.

And the fact that just after 1 term the senator could be back in the senate, well, I guess this amendment could be easily "hijacked", an Atlasian version of Putin/Medvedev Tongue.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 12:15:38 PM »

Term Limits haven't really prevented a class of people from dominating Michigan. They just play musical chairs pre-arranged behind the scenes or draw their own seats in the US House where they remain (until they f up their ballot petitions).

It is kind of like the balanced budget amendment only for voters instead of appropriators, an easy way to avoid having to make a tough decision.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »

I support term limits in principle, so I'll be voting in favor of this amendment.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »

I look forward to the fresh and exciting elections this amendment will bring us in April 2016
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

I know Senator Cynic wants to improve things with this amendment but I have never been a fan of the princip of "term limit".

I believe that this is the right of the people to decide if they want to continue to have their senator, not us.

And the fact that just after 1 term the senator could be back in the senate, well, I guess this amendment could be easily "hijacked", an Atlasian version of Putin/Medvedev Tongue.

This is a game, keep in mind. If this were a real life situation, I'd tend to agree. However, I support term limits in a game like this because in some cases, getting new people involved quickly is essential to keeping them interested.

It also allows people who may lose election to a popular incumbent for no other reason than the incumbent is simply more well known and popular a chance at the job.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »

This is a game, keep in mind. If this were a real life situation, I'd tend to agree. However, I support term limits in a game like this because in some cases, getting new people involved quickly is essential to keeping them interested.

It also allows people who may lose election to a popular incumbent for no other reason than the incumbent is simply more well known and popular a chance at the job.

I have to disagree, I believe that the fact this is a game this is an another reason that term limits shouldn't exist.

This is a game, and this game needs few old senators, in order to welcome the new senators. Senator Yankee contantly helped the new VPs with his experience for example. That wouldn't be a good thing if all senators were just elected.

Furthermore, how many "old senators" currently do we have? 3: TNF, Yankee and Bore. That would be unfair to say that there is a problem with "seniority". There is a huge turn over in the senate.

And being a sitting senator doesn't mean you never have close elections. TNF has never been safe, Yankee has been safe most of the time but faced some close races recently (Maxwell). And finally, John Boreow has A-L-W-A-Y-S been challenged, and he has always prevailed by a tiny margin.

I made the Windjammer senate tracker 3 month ago, and basically, which senators never missed votes during my time as VP? Yankee, TNF, bore and Tyrion. What have they in common? Their seniority.

No but really, I know you want to improve things, and I appreciate your enthusiasm with game reforms, but according to me term limits aren't the solution.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:56:38 PM »

Right, Senator TNF's amendment has been adopted.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 01:23:04 AM »

I have to disagree, I believe that the fact this is a game this is an another reason that term limits shouldn't exist.

This is a game, and this game needs few old senators, in order to welcome the new senators. Senator Yankee contantly helped the new VPs with his experience for example. That wouldn't be a good thing if all senators were just elected.

Furthermore, how many "old senators" currently do we have? 3: TNF, Yankee and Bore. That would be unfair to say that there is a problem with "seniority". There is a huge turn over in the senate.

And being a sitting senator doesn't mean you never have close elections. TNF has never been safe, Yankee has been safe most of the time but faced some close races recently (Maxwell). And finally, John Boreow has A-L-W-A-Y-S been challenged, and he has always prevailed by a tiny margin.

I made the Windjammer senate tracker 3 month ago, and basically, which senators never missed votes during my time as VP? Yankee, TNF, bore and Tyrion. What have they in common? Their seniority.

No but really, I know you want to improve things, and I appreciate your enthusiasm with game reforms, but according to me term limits aren't the solution.

I actually don't support term limits in real life. I support them here in the game and again, let me reiterate, this bill is not aimed at the current incumbents. This is a bill that is designed specifically to keep this game alive in the long term. Turnover and interest wane very quickly with newcomers to the game. I talked to several people who were frustrated with being unable to get a footing in the game simply because of factors like facing a popular incumbent and at the time we didn't even have regional assemblies. You're not looking at this long term. In the short term, I could see where your argument could make sense. But this is a bill designed to invest in the future of a more open and competitive Senate races and to get people a better chance to serve. I'd like to offer up for example the case of Poirot who is a frequent candidate, yet he seemingly can't get elected past the regional level. I feel with term limits, he and others like him would have a better shot without having to take on entrenched incumbents (Not necessarily these incumbents).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

Well,
I still believe that's a bad idea. There isn't a problem with turn-over. I mean, how many senators are one-term or two-term senators? 7: Nix, you, Lumine, Cassius, JCL, Cranberry and Polnut. 
That's why I don't believe there is a problem with that.

Furthermore, among the "old senators", TNF, Bore and Yankee, they constantly face challenge (less true for Yankee but still), boreow constantly won reelection by tiny margins, TNF as well, there isn't a problem with competitiveness.

Furthermore, yes, indeed, the senate is full of "old" players:
-Lumine was MW Governor, MW Archduke and ME representative before.
-Polnut and Nix were both presidents, senators and probably some other offices like Governor before.
-JCL was a representative from the ME Assembly.
-Bore a representative from the NE assembly.
-Cassius a representative from the ME Assembly
-Yankee, I don'( know, because he's senator for really a long time Tongue.
-You were a former VP and president
Etc, etc,...

Yes, the senate is full of old players. But I don't think that is a problem. People have to show their potential in the regional legislatures, before basically getting a promotion. I mean, I spent basically  more than 1 year in the MW legislature as representative, as Lt Governor and as Governor.
Newbies can start by the local legislatures, then building their name and winning seats by using party machines.

And I still believe this is the voters' right to decide if they want their senator to be replaced or not.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

I sure wish you wouldn't ignore the main argument behind it though. This is not meant for the short term, but it is a long term strategy to ensure no one gets too cushy. 4 terms is 16 months. How many serve that long? Not many, yes.

You're also right to say the Senate is filled with old players, including me. But I'll be gone in December (I have a wedding to plan and that just has to take precedence). I hope whoever gets the seat I'm occupying will be someone who hasn't had the chance to serve in the Senate yet.

Again, you're only bringing up examples of the current crop of Senators. This bill is aimed toward the future, not current members (who are grandfathered an extra four terms by the language of the bill). 16 months in one spot in this game really should be enough for anyone.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »

I understand this is for the future Cynic Tongue. But I don't believe this bill improve things in the future, even if there are good intentions behind.

I mean, I like that there is a very old senator in the senate for example. Seniority is an advantage, especially with a current important turn over (7 one-term or two-term senators).
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

There is still the option for those very old Senators to return later and it's very unlikely that every Senator once elected simply won't know what they're doing. This isn't the real life Senate where seniority offers any sort of special perks. Every term won't expire immediately. You'll see three and four term Senators serving with new ones.

There will always be members of the Senate who will be able to guide new ones along, so I fail to see what's so awful about saying "Ok, after 16 months, you've got to find another way to be useful for a little while and then come back if you can again later".
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

There is still the option for those very old Senators to return later and it's very unlikely that every Senator once elected simply won't know what they're doing. This isn't the real life Senate where seniority offers any sort of special perks. Every term won't expire immediately. You'll see three and four term Senators serving with new ones.

There will always be members of the Senate who will be able to guide new ones along, so I fail to see what's so awful about saying "Ok, after 16 months, you've got to find another way to be useful for a little while and then come back if you can again later".
So basically five term, then 1 term as something else, and then 5 terms  as senator?
This is absurd...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »

So basically, if I understand correctly:
1) the goal of this bill is to increase turn-over because there would be senators who would never be defeated because of their seniority: on the 10 senators, there are 7 senators who are one term or two term senators and on the 3 other senators: 2 of them constantly have tough reelection battle. There isn't a problem with turn over, period.

2) senators would be able to return after in the senate: what's the goal of term limits if the senator can be back 1 term after in the senate? That's a little absurd.

3) And yes, again, this isn't up to you to decide if a senator wishes to retire, or if his constituents want to defeat him. If you want to be a one term senator, that's your choice, but that's YOUR decision. Every senator should be able to choose.

4) And finally, yes, having a 7 term senator is different from having a 4 term senator etc. More the senator has experience, better he serves his constituents.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies