Game Moderation Abolition Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:56:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Game Moderation Abolition Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game Moderation Abolition Amendment (Passed)  (Read 4241 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »

It's somewhat surprising to me that people are saying that no one will listen to the GM and whatever after what happened just a month ago.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:58:20 AM »

It's somewhat surprising to me that people are saying that no one will listen to the GM and whatever after what happened just a month ago.

The crisis that we dealt with a month ago was entirely about the politics of the situation - that is, the President dismissing a traditionally neutral official for blatantly political reasons -  and not at all about the actual story that set it off. Sure, there were a couple of speeches, but most of us in government continued along as if nothing had happened, and the public showed even less interest.

The public rarely shows much interest in things that don't either change the game like consolidation or completely unpredictable, normally social issues like dog meat, incest or whatever else, so I'm not sure that's a great metric. Similarly the nature of the event wasn't really policy provoking, it was IIRC a terrorist attack to stop atlasia attacking ISIS. No one was going to be cowed by that type of attack (though they might have been in RL) and we were already attacking ISIS so I'm not sure what policy change was to be expected. To me it's enough that there was a backlash to show that the GM still is, or at the very least can be, relevant. If no one cared about the position then no one would have cared if the GM was sacked. It's also worth pointing out that no one at the time said "well the president was right because he has no obligation to follow the storyline".

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »

One point I'd like to make is without some sort of God figure we run the risk of people doing whatever they like ( Without a GM, everything is permissible Tongue). Without someone to tell us what's actually happened it's entirely subjective, and I can see that going badly wrong, just look at the recent fiasco after tyrion left. Having someone who's appointed to be a minor correcting figure makes sense to me.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »

One point I'd like to make is without some sort of God figure we run the risk of people doing whatever they like ( Without a GM, everything is permissible Tongue). Without someone to tell us what's actually happened it's entirely subjective, and I can see that going badly wrong, just look at the recent fiasco after tyrion left. Having someone who's appointed to be a minor correcting figure makes sense to me.

Can you think of a recent example in which a GM actually did this?

I think the last time when the GM as the GM and not the political position had a large impact with a story was rimjob, but that's not the sort of point I'm trying to make.

The way I see it, with a position of GM we are all committed in principle that actions in the game have a consequence, and this is objective and not up for date. Now of course in practice almost everything with regard to consequences is up for debate, but this principle allows us to stop, say, me declaring myself king of all atlasia, and without the GM and the objective truth that enbodies I think that opens the door for anything to occur. I think without a GM we run the risk of far more post tyrion style situations.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:06:46 AM »

I like the look of that amendment.

By way of analogy it's probably helpful to look at the GM as a pope figure. Occasionally he'll speak infallibly and that must be assented to, but most of the time we can disagree with him, although his view still gets a lot more weight than some random churchgoer/priest/bishop.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2014, 01:37:27 PM by Senator bore »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Proposed by: TNF/ Yankee

Senators have 24 hours to object to this amendment.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »

With no objections the amendment passes.

Can we move to final vote?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »

Senators, a final vote is now open on this amendment
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »

This has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change votes
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »

This amendment has passed and is sent to the regions for ratification.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies