Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:59:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results?  (Read 3459 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:25 PM »

This is what we did in 2010 and it worked fine, and it's what we planned to do in 2012, though Atlas was down on Election Night. Having a gazillion threads will be very inconvenient and will necessitate having a gazillion inconvenient tabs open. Maybe we could have separate Senate and House threads, but I don't think things should be broken up any further than that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »

This is what we did in 2010 and it worked fine, and it's what we planned to do in 2012, though Atlas was down on Election Night. Having a gazillion threads will be very inconvenient and will necessitate having a gazillion inconvenient tabs open. Maybe we could have separate Senate and House threads, but I don't think things should be broken up any further than that.

Yeah, splitting it up like this will just be a mess Sad
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »

Yes, dear God, please. I'm not going to be discussing politics in a combo thread with IL (seriously?), as we already have a thread called "Georgia's Very Own Megathread".
JRP1994

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »

Objection.

One massive thread for 30+ races will make it nearly impossible to keep up with any individual races, and cause one to have to search through several cluttered pages. I support the idea of having multiple threads for the closest races - more organized that way.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »

Objection.

One massive thread for 30+ races will make it nearly impossible to keep up with any individual races, and cause one to have to search through several cluttered pages. I support the idea of having multiple threads for the closest races - more organized that way.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »

Not to point fingers, but the issue in 2010 was some of the mods not unlocking the threads once the polls closed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

I agree with this. Who wants to go through 20 different threads to follow all the races?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:12:03 PM »

Four in my opinion

1) House Races
2) Senate Races
3) Gubernatorial contests
4) Down ballot initiatives.  

Of course, what pages do we put these on, the polling ones or the main pages?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »

maybe we can split it up into just a few, such as by Census Region?  That would be less confusing than certain states paired alphabetically and then a thread vaguely titled "all others."
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

No.

During the primaries, the activity on big nights (MS Primary, GA Primary, etc.) was enough that I sometimes had to submit a post up to 10 times before the "someone else just posted" warning finally stopped popping up. On the general election night, with tons of races, lots more posters, lots more activity, one thread would at best become a sea of some 8,000 pages that's annoying to read through, and at worst a sea of people re-posting calls/important county results over and over again due to losing motivation to modify their posts to be more timely, simply clicking the post button over and over again to "simply get up something".

The current structure is fine. Branson's taken the major races and broken them up into multiple, easier to get your post in, easier to read through threads, along with another thread to toss the less exciting stuff in.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

This is what we did in 2010 and it worked fine...

Actually no, it isn't what we did in 2010.  In 2010, there were several omnibus threads for each set of states, e.g.:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127334.0

However, as I recall, people really didn't like that, and were hoping for one megathread.

Or maybe I'm just projecting.  Personally, I thought it was pretty foolish.  Would vastly prefer one megathread for all Senate races, one for all House races, and one for all Gubernatorial races.  Navigating between 20 different threads is just impractical.  Think about how much clicking around you'll have to do to if you want to read everything.  Even finding the right thread to post in is a mess if things are happening quickly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »

During the primaries, the activity on big nights (MS Primary, GA Primary, etc.) was enough that I sometimes had to submit a post up to 10 times before the "someone else just posted" warning finally stopped popping up.

That means that you don't have your account set up the right way for a high traffic event like an election night.  Go to your profile page, and on the lefthand side of the screen, click on "Look and layout preferences", then tick the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting".  You'll no longer get those "someone else just posted" messages.
Panda Express

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2014, 08:37:46 PM by Vox Populi »

I'm not going to sift through a million different topics. When I'm looking at the results on election night I (like most people) am going to make posts like "Hagan and Shaheen looking good! Still nothing from Iowa yet"

I'm fine with a topic for senate races, a topic for house races and a topic for gov races. It has worked fine before.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

Hmmm... I was worried about getting lost in the torrent of results and commentary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »

Also, by having 20 different topics, you're encouraging people to click around a lot more than they otherwise would, which'll presumably slow down the forum.  Why do that, if the high traffic is going to slow things down already?  With one megathread, people won't be reloading pages every 30 seconds, and hopefully the forum will run faster.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »

Another thing: Why are the pairings so random? Illinois and Georgia in the same thread? Why not just make them all separate, or at least group them geographically (e.g. IL & WI)?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »

As much as I appreciate Tender's initiative in making individual threads, I think this is the best solution:

Four in my opinion

1) House Races
2) Senate Races

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 08:55:25 PM »

I agree. Maybe split it up into three or four at most. But the current number of threads is ridiculous.

Of course the site is probably going to be unusable/crash constantly on election night anyway.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »

Of course the site is probably going to be unusable/crash constantly on election night anyway.

Not sure why everyone thinks that.  It's not *that* bad for midterm elections.  In 2010, there was a bit of slowdown, but it was still pretty usable.  Of course, it's more likely to crash if we have 20 separate threads, as people will have to load new threads much more often to keep up with everything.
Panda Express

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »

Another thing: Why are the pairings so random? Illinois and Georgia in the same thread? Why not just make them all separate, or at least group them geographically (e.g. IL & WI)?

It was chosen alphabetically. That's why we have Kansas and Maine together.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »

Florida's with Connecticut, not Georgia.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »

As much as I appreciate Tender's initiative in making individual threads, I think this is the best solution:

Four in my opinion

1) House Races
2) Senate Races

Yeah, but the gubernatorial contests and downballot initiatives threads should be under Statewide Elections, not Congressional Elections.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 12:01:59 AM »

I don't mind having individual state threads for people to discuss incoming results in particular races, but personally I think the scheme of trying to predict a priori which states will generate discussion is bunk.  Personally, I think having an omnibus thread for called races and then letting people who want to start state level discussion for races still in doubt as they have interest would have been the best approach.
Panda Express

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »

Florida's with Connecticut, not Georgia.

f comes before g son
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »

Four in my opinion

1) House Races
2) Senate Races

Yeah, but the gubernatorial contests and downballot initiatives threads should be under Statewide Elections, not Congressional Elections.

'Kinda goes without saying...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies