Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:02:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can't we just have one thread for Election Night results?  (Read 3485 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 30, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

This is what we did in 2010 and it worked fine...

Actually no, it isn't what we did in 2010.  In 2010, there were several omnibus threads for each set of states, e.g.:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=127334.0

However, as I recall, people really didn't like that, and were hoping for one megathread.

Or maybe I'm just projecting.  Personally, I thought it was pretty foolish.  Would vastly prefer one megathread for all Senate races, one for all House races, and one for all Gubernatorial races.  Navigating between 20 different threads is just impractical.  Think about how much clicking around you'll have to do to if you want to read everything.  Even finding the right thread to post in is a mess if things are happening quickly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »

During the primaries, the activity on big nights (MS Primary, GA Primary, etc.) was enough that I sometimes had to submit a post up to 10 times before the "someone else just posted" warning finally stopped popping up.

That means that you don't have your account set up the right way for a high traffic event like an election night.  Go to your profile page, and on the lefthand side of the screen, click on "Look and layout preferences", then tick the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting".  You'll no longer get those "someone else just posted" messages.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:41:28 PM »

Also, by having 20 different topics, you're encouraging people to click around a lot more than they otherwise would, which'll presumably slow down the forum.  Why do that, if the high traffic is going to slow things down already?  With one megathread, people won't be reloading pages every 30 seconds, and hopefully the forum will run faster.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »

Of course the site is probably going to be unusable/crash constantly on election night anyway.

Not sure why everyone thinks that.  It's not *that* bad for midterm elections.  In 2010, there was a bit of slowdown, but it was still pretty usable.  Of course, it's more likely to crash if we have 20 separate threads, as people will have to load new threads much more often to keep up with everything.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »

So, Joe Republic does not seem to object to my thread plan, which means we are going along with it ?

He doesn't?  I suggest you read this:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=201720.0

In any case, you probably should have checked with him before creating all those threads, and causing this uproar.  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies