Landrieu: Obama and I struggling because South is racist/sexist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:22:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Landrieu: Obama and I struggling because South is racist/sexist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Landrieu: Obama and I struggling because South is racist/sexist  (Read 2182 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »

I like this. Its a good way of driving up African-American turnout.

I am not sure if pulling the race and war on women cards out is going to help her more than it's going to hurt her.

Nuanced or not, couched in politically correct words or not, she likely offended a good number of Louisiana voters.

It certainly won't help her avoid the inevitable runoff, so it was probably better left not said at this point.

I doubt it. I know a lot of people voting against Landrieu; they're not doing so just because of this.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »

She's right... If she was John Breaux, she'd have a twenty point lead and we wouldn't be talking about a runoff.
Recalcuate

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »

I like this. Its a good way of driving up African-American turnout.

I am not sure if pulling the race and war on women cards out is going to help her more than it's going to hurt her.

Nuanced or not, couched in politically correct words or not, she likely offended a good number of Louisiana voters.

It certainly won't help her avoid the inevitable runoff, so it was probably better left not said at this point.

I doubt it. I know a lot of people voting against Landrieu; they're not doing so just because of this.

I never said that the quote would be determinative. I think I pretty much said it won't matter for Tuesday's election.

However, an us vs. them type of analogy this close to an election instead of a unifying message is not smart politics. It was better left unsaid.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:34 PM »

I never said that the quote would be determinative. I think I pretty much said it won't matter for Tuesday's election.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Er, I'm not sure. Given how few swing voters there are in LA, this might not hurt her as much as you seem to think. This could very well motivate blacks to turnout out for her; otherwise a party that thinks racism doesn't exist anymore could win.
Recalcuate

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Er, I'm not sure. Given how few swing voters there are in LA, this might not hurt her as much as you seem to think. This could very well motivate blacks to turnout out for her; otherwise a party that thinks racism doesn't exist anymore could win.

Meh. To me it's the equivalent of sports loser talk, "We played a great game, but (fill in the blank excuse)."
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »

People always complain about politicians not telling the truth, but whenever one actually does it, people turn around and flip out.

Landrieu didn't even say what the thread title says. This is such dishonesty.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »

Clearly Pryor's white maleness is making all the difference for him in neighboring Arkansas.

At least he won't lose by 21 points.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »

She said that Obama is not popular in the South because he is African-American, and Landrieu isn't doing well in the Senate race because the state s sexist, at least that's what it sounded like to me.

Maybe that's true for about 1-2% of the population, but she's acting like a white liberal Democrat in the Oval Office would be popular in the South because he's white, and it has nothing to do with the region's political ideology.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 12:04:59 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2014, 12:09:30 AM by Miles »

Well, what do ya know: actual black leaders agree with her!

What's interesting is that the first part of her quote explaining why Obama can't present himself well in the state dealt with his energy policies. 'Don't know why no one wants to focus on that. She cited race as a factor in why he struggles in the south, not the sole factor. Spending, ya know, a decent amount of time there, I agree.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »

Did anyone expect her supporters not to back her? It is an obvious strategy to try to rally the African-American vote, and it may work.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »

^ Exactly, as I pointed out earlier in the thread. It isn't going to be as detrimental to her prospects as some are suggesting.  

It may have the effect of rallying the vote, but its still an honest assessment of the situation. Maybe she felt like this idiot was starting to have an effect on the race and went the extra length to point out she has sympathy for the struggles blacks in the south have faced over the years.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 03:40:58 AM »

She said that Obama is not popular in the South because he is African-American, and Landrieu isn't doing well in the Senate race because the state s sexist, at least that's what it sounded like to me.

Maybe that's true for about 1-2% of the population, but she's acting like a white liberal Democrat in the Oval Office would be popular in the South because he's white, and it has nothing to do with the region's political ideology.

I do wonder why 90% of Mississippi whites voted for Romney...
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »

One of two Senators in Louisiana is a woman.

The Governor is the son of Indian immigrants. His predecessor was a woman.

Those filthy sexist racists!

That's not what she said at all, you two would know that if you read the article.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »

As someone pointed out elsewhere, John Kerry did 10% points better in Louisiana among whites than Obama, even while Obama was romping to a win nationally and Kerry lost. That's an actual data point for your proposition.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »

One of two Senators in Louisiana is a woman.

The Governor is the son of Indian immigrants. His predecessor was a woman.

Those filthy sexist racists!
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »

She was going to lose anyway and what she said is incontrovertibly true, so let's not swoon over the hurt feelings of knuckle dragging racist rednecks.

Weren't Republicans supposed to hate political correctness?  We need to stop making such a big deal out of being "offended."  If you're offended by the truth, so be it but you can't demand that everyone else humor your personal alternate reality. 
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »

She was going to lose anyway and what she said is incontrovertibly true, so let's not swoon over the hurt feelings of knuckle dragging racist rednecks.

Weren't Republicans supposed to hate political correctness?  We need to stop making such a big deal out of being "offended."  If you're offended by the truth, so be it but you can't demand that everyone else humor your personal alternate reality.  

Yep. Jindal, for example, defended the Duck Dynasty guy's anti-gay comments but is asking Landrieu to apologize for this.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Weren't Republicans supposed to hate political correctness?  We need to stop making such a big deal out of being "offended."  If you're offended by the truth, so be it but you can't demand that everyone else humor your personal alternate reality. 

Yep. Jindal, for example, defended the Duck Dynasty guy's anti-gay comments but is asking Landrieu to apologize for this.

Yeah, Republicans just sort of say whatever is convenient at the moment.  They really have no shame.

As for you who want to claim Louisiana isn't racist based on their elections, I have two words for you, David Duke. The Louisiana Republican party nominated a neo-Nazi KKK lunatic for both governor and US Senate.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »

As someone pointed out elsewhere, John Kerry did 10% points better in Louisiana among whites than Obama, even while Obama was romping to a win nationally and Kerry lost. That's an actual data point for your proposition.

Race had nothing to do with it !

John Kerry spoke french and had an appeal to the Acadians.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

And Obama, similar to  in W. VA, was perceived even more strongly than Kerry as anti-fossil fuels.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2014, 11:30:57 PM »

And Obama, similar to  in W. VA, was perceived even more strongly than Kerry as anti-fossil fuels.

Sarcasm my friend. The idea that LA whites would like a stiff like Kerry over Obama other than race is laughable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »

Sure, if Obama weren't black, perhaps his job approvals among Louisiana whites would be in the mid-upper teens instead of the high single digits/lower teens.  At the same time, just look at all the non-white and female nominees from both parties recently in the state, such as the current and previous governors.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies