Anyone else visiting the graves tomorrow ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anyone else visiting the graves tomorrow ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone else visiting the graves tomorrow ?  (Read 453 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

All Saints' Day

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's one of the few days our whole family will come together, first to go to the local cemetary to remember the dead (in my case, my dad and my grandparents) and bring flowers. Then we'll have some coffee.

Virtually the whole town will be at the cemetary at 2:30pm tomorrow (except kids and sick people).

Anyone else doing this ?

Cranberry I assume too.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

Yes, I'll be doing this tomorrow, too. I'll be staying with mum, my uncle and my grandpa at my great-grandmother's grave; we do every year. It's a nice tradition, not so much with church, but to remember the dead. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

No, because I got rather nasty flu.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »

Never have, never will.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:32:24 PM »

I thought Tender was already in his basement?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:20:17 PM »

Bulgaria has one tomorrow, too, and I believe in Greece, it's usually a bit earlier (in Oct) if it's still done.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »

I visited the cemetery this morning with an APES field trip to collect data on birth- and death-years, but my own relatives are, with one exception, buried too far away to easily visit. The one exception was visited last week, and in any case Dia de los Muertos is neither an Ohio tradition nor a Russian-Jewish tradition.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »

This sounds like a cute tradition.  Alas, here in the US we only celebrate the type of holidays in which the media reports on how each year generated even more billions of $ for retailers.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »

This sounds like a cute tradition.  Alas, here in the US we only celebrate the type of holidays in which the media reports on how each year generated even more billions of $ for retailers.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Americans are incapable of having solemn holidays. Hence, all the fools on facebook who wish each other a Happy Memorial Day! Also, is there only one cemetery in Tender's town?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »

Zell am See's population is less than 10,000 so there would be no need for more than one municipal graveyard.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 09:09:38 PM »

I thought Tender was already in his basement?
Dave escaped, so Tender has had to go on the lam.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:41:58 AM »

Zell am See's population is less than 10,000 so there would be no need for more than one municipal graveyard.
I'm unfamiliar with how such things operate in Austria. Are cemeteries run by the municipality? Here, cemeteries are a private enterprise and there are many of them, sometimes related to specific churches or denominations.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Americans are incapable of having solemn holidays. Hence, all the fools on facebook who wish each other a Happy Memorial Day! Also, is there only one cemetery in Tender's town?

Yes, currently there's only 1. There have been some other smaller ones at the individual churches of the historical city parts, but they became too small as the population went up at around 1900, so the city decided to create a new bigger one, more or less on the outskirts between Zell and Maishofen.

This is the cemetery:

I'm unfamiliar with how such things operate in Austria. Are cemeteries run by the municipality? Here, cemeteries are a private enterprise and there are many of them, sometimes related to specific churches or denominations.

Depends. In small towns with a local church, the cemeteries are often run by the local church itself. The bigger the town is, the more likely it is that the municipality runs it on their own. Other religious groups, such as Protestants or Muslims (or Jews in Vienna) often have their own cemeteries. But in small towns, if someone of Muslim faith dies - he/she is buried at the local cemetery as well (if that's his will, or that of his relatives). I have never heard of a case, in which the Catholic Church in some small town has rejected burying a resident of another faith really.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 03:59:20 AM »

Depends. In small towns with a local church, the cemeteries are often run by the local church itself. The bigger the town is, the more likely it is that the municipality runs it on their own. Other religious groups, such as Protestants or Muslims (or Jews in Vienna) often have their own cemeteries. But in small towns, if someone of Muslim faith dies - he/she is buried at the local cemetery as well (if that's his will, or that of his relatives). I have never heard of a case, in which the Catholic Church in some small town has rejected burying a resident of another faith really.

In my village of 2'000, the cemetery is run by the Church, and it's located around the church. However, the few Muslims in my village are as far as I know buried in the cemetery of the neighbouring town, where there is a mosque and a minaret, and a part of the local cemetery reserved for Muslims.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies