Who is your favorite Senator from the opposing party, and why?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:56:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who is your favorite Senator from the opposing party, and why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who is your favorite Senator from the opposing party, and why?  (Read 2813 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »

This forum has descended largely into partisan hackishness on both sides, so we're going to have an exercise in bipartisan praise.

• Republicans and Republican-leaning independents, who is your favorite incumbent Democrat Senator, and why?

• Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents, who is your favorite incumbent Republican Senator, and why?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:40:05 AM »

As a Republican-leaning Independent, Ron Wyden is a favorite of mine for championing both civil liberties and tax reform. Plus his health reform might be a little easier to stomach.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »

As slightly left-of-center Indie i, naturally, more frequently support Democratic candidates these hyperpolarized days. So, obviously, Collins among Republicans. I wish i could have a possibility to answer "Javits", "Case" or "Mathias", but, alas, Republicans doesn't give us such candidates...
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »

As a Democrat my favorite R Senator has to be Susan Collins. She's has a good civil rights record and she's doesn't run around like a partisan hack trying to scare people in either political direction. She's also pretty good at showing up for work.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »

Someone who stands up for what they believe in, someone who is ambitious, someone who understands the value of compromise. The two that come to mind are Chuck Schumer and Ron Wyden. I would happily vote for either.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:57:02 AM »

I guess John McCain, less so since he became a Republican hack full time after Obama was elected, but he seems like a genuinely nice gentleman.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »

Collins. Sort of personal, but she founded the Congressional Diabetes Caucus and my sister has juvenile diabetes. She's worked well to secure funds for research, etc. which I appreciate. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »

Manchin. I think he's relatively close to his state and seems more genuinely moderate than other red-state Dems.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »

Murkowski. One of the few SSM supporters, I like how she won in 2010, decent on women's rights.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 12:09:56 PM »

As a Republican-leaning Independent, Ron Wyden is a favorite of mine for championing both civil liberties and tax reform. Plus his health reform might be a little easier to stomach.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »

Murkowski I guess.  She's socially moderate and she did stick it to Palin and Miller during the 2010 midterms. 
KCDem

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »

All horrible. Stick a fork in 'em!
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Murkowski, for sticking it to the tea party.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »

Murkowski or Heller.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »

Mark Begich, because he is fiscally conservative in some respects (even supports a BBA!), is pro-energy independence, doesn't support any gun control, and is about as anti-tax as you get for a Democrat. Ron Wyden is a close second for obvious reasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »

They're all terrible, honestly. This never-ending filibuster of absolutely everything is one of the worst things to happen to our political system, and they are all responsible for it. It doesn't really matter that they occasionally make nice moderate-sounding quotes to newspapers or bloggers; when push comes to shove they vote with McConnell on everything, even things that used to be completely non-controversial.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »

They're all terrible, honestly. This never-ending filibuster of absolutely everything is one of the worst things to happen to our political system, and they are all responsible for it. It doesn't really matter that they occasionally make nice moderate-sounding quotes to newspapers or bloggers; when push comes to shove they vote with McConnell on everything, even things that used to be completely non-controversial.

Give it a few more years and we should start seeing years-long hold-ups of bills to rename the State Del. Billy Bob Humperdink Memorial Post Office.  Sad
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »

I like Manchin, Landrieu, and Wyden.
KCDem

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 01:29:51 PM »

It just goes to show how hackish the Republicans are on this forum. If Wyden had bee on the receiving end of all the crap Mark Udall has, you wouldn't be nearly as infatuated with him. He's obviously a freedom fighter, but he's basically the same (politically speaking) as Mark Udall. The hypocrisy is astounding.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »

It just goes to show how hackish the Republicans are on this forum. If Wyden had bee on the receiving end of all the crap Mark Udall has, you wouldn't be nearly as infatuated with him. He's obviously a freedom fighter, but he's basically the same (politically speaking) as Mark Udall. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Ron Wyden never ran or will run a campaign having abortion and birth control as his number 1 issue.
KCDem

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »

Ron Wyden never ran or will run a campaign having abortion and birth control as his number 1 issue.

That's because Wyden is in a safe seat.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »

That's because Wyden is in a safe seat.
Wyden is safe seat because he doesn't run his campaigns like a retard.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »

I guess Murkowski.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

Lisa Murkowski, because she curbstomped the Tea Party through a write-in bid (how badass is that?), poked Palin in the eye multiple times, and is probably the most moderate Senate Republican.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »

I'd have to go with Murkowski for reasons already stated.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies