2014 US Gubernatorial Election Results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:29:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 US Gubernatorial Election Results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19
Author Topic: 2014 US Gubernatorial Election Results  (Read 34213 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 06, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »
« edited: November 06, 2014, 04:59:51 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

According to CNN's "Election Center" only 80% of the total vote has been tallied in Vermont. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Is it guaranteed that Shumlin will end up having more votes than Milne?

That's not accurate. The New York Times and Google both have Vermont at 100% in. The Vermont Secretary of State's website is at 96.36%. Shumlin is ahead by about a percentage point.
njwes
United States

« Reply #401 on: November 06, 2014, 05:40:58 PM »

How much (if any) of that PV difference is due to uncontested candidates?

In the case of the congressional vote at least, it's not due to any uncontested candidates; rather it's due to Republicans not having any geographically concentrated minority group that reflexively votes for them 9-1.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #402 on: November 06, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

How does the legislature elect the Governor? Is it First Past the Post like citizens vote? The Democrats hold the majority in both houses, so Shumlin should win.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #403 on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »

I think it's FPTP but I'm not sure. Shumlin is definitely going to win; even if the Republicans held the majority, tradition in Vermont is for the legislature to elect whoever won the plurality (although there are exceptions: 'The most recent example of the General Assembly’s rejection of the plurality candidate occurred in 1976 when Republican T. Gary Buckley, who had come in second in popular vote was elected by a three-vote margin in the General Assembly over the plurality winner, John Alden. In this case, the candidate who had forced the race into the General Assembly was Liberty Union candidate John Franco (to the left of both the Democrat and Republican), indicating a majority of the electorate would almost certainly have selected Alden instead of Buckley in a one-on-one or instant runoff election.'). A Democratic legislature elected Jim Douglas in 2002.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #404 on: November 06, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »

How does the legislature elect the Governor? Is it First Past the Post like citizens vote? The Democrats hold the majority in both houses, so Shumlin should win.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
My emphasis.

So the legal interpretation is that since no candidate received a majority of the popular vote, that no election occurred (election hear meaning an actual selection; rather than the process of making that selection by casting ballots, etc.), that the choice goes to the combined senate and house.

I suspect that in some instances the general assembly would fill constrained to respect the will of the people, but in other cases they could conjure up an argument that there was no definitive will of the people, and that they were fulfilling their duty by determining the final decision among the three candidates nominated by the people.

One could imagine if this provision were effect in Maine, LePage would not have been elected nor re-elected.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #405 on: November 06, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

Illinois outside Cook County (so far)Sad

Rauner - 1,349,805 (60.5%)
Quinn - 787,105 (35.3%)
Grimm - 93,156 (4.2%)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »

I'm on vacation in Gainesville FL right now visiting my cousin, at a party with his friends, they're all saying they voted to legalize weed but voted for the third party guy in the gov race because "both candidates sucked dick"; like literally ten people now have volunteered this by my prompt "so how bout them elections"

Guys Charlie Crust was a terrible candidate and prob why we lost

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #407 on: November 06, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »

I'm on vacation in Gainesville FL right now visiting my cousin, at a party with his friends, they're all saying they voted to legalize weed but voted for the third party guy in the gov race because "both candidates sucked dick"; like literally ten people now have volunteered this by my prompt "so how bout them elections"

Florida voted for the one who only did so metaphorically.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #408 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »

Newtown had the largest swing to Malloy at almost 18%. Several towns' unofficial totals from the SoTS are incorrect (Woodbury, Avon, Colchester and Watertown in particular), so this map is not authoritative. Election results reporting in CT is still very much a 20th century affair.

Very few towns changed hands.

Foley to Malloy: Lyme, East Lyme, Derby, Danbury, Waterford
Malloy to Foley: Chaplin
Panda Express

« Reply #409 on: November 07, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

Hickenlooper now winning by 3% aww yeah
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 07, 2014, 12:22:25 AM »

Anyone know what was up with Monroe County, OH? FitzGerald carried it 52/44 but Obama lost it by about the same margin.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #411 on: November 07, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

Anyone know what was up with Monroe County, OH? FitzGerald carried it 52/44 but Obama lost it by about the same margin.

Apparently Kasich screwed over a lot of the workers there. If only all voters had as long of a memory as they apparently do.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2014, 12:32:36 AM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »

Are those..... are those red counties...... in....in.....OKLAHOMA??!! THE END IS NIGH
Nichlemn

« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2014, 01:06:57 AM »

Uncannily similar to the Presidential results. Usually for these sorts of maps there are a number of glaring state boundaries when you cross from a state with a popular candidate of one party goes to a popular candidate of the other. But other than closely looking at the shades of blue between say, Iowa and Minnesota, that doesn't exist here. A lot of this because there were no large overperfomances of the Presidential result in ways that flipped a bunch of counties (no Mike Beebes, for instance).
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #415 on: November 07, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »

Are those..... are those red counties...... in....in.....OKLAHOMA??!! THE END IS NIGH
Nah fallin lost counties in 2010 too. Of course they were completely different counties but still.
The ones she lost this year mostly seem to be ones that have traditional democratic strength. Though why Caddo flipped this year and not in 2010 when the democrat won the four counties south of it I have no idea.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #416 on: November 07, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

I'm highly pleased about the fact that Abbott beat Davis by 20 points. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #417 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »

Looks like Beauprez got Bucked! Smiley
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #418 on: November 07, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 02:51:11 PM by Kraxner »

Looks like Beauprez got Bucked! Smiley

Beauprez talking about how colorado should reconsider the marijuana legalization really put independents that voted for gardner to split their tickets for hickenlooper.

Thr amount of votes hickenlooper and gardner got were near identical.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2014/results/state/CO/senate

http://www.cnn.com/election/2014/results/state/CO/governor

Exit polls tab has Gardner leading with independents 50-42, and Hickenlooper leading independents 49-42.

Im very confident in saying had the gun control bill not happen than hickenlooper would of had double the margin and might of had the coattails to save Udall.

Also hickenlooper apologized for the guncontrol bill and said he disliked portions of obamacare, and made efforts to reconnect with hostile rural residents by doing things like this.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeT86_e89yU

A reverse mirror of what Bill Clinton did with minority audiences and the saxophone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #419 on: November 07, 2014, 05:01:16 PM »

I have heard that exact quote everyday for six solid weeks.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #420 on: November 07, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

I always thought the hick' would pull it out.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #421 on: November 07, 2014, 05:39:56 PM »

A reverse mirror of what Bill Clinton did with minority audiences and the saxophone.
?
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #422 on: November 07, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2014, 06:02:55 PM by Kraxner »

?

Search up Clinton Saxophone on youtube, he played it on a black talkshow and it was reported all over and his popularity among minorities went up.

Im probably exaggerating about hickenlooper with the banjo, but hickenlooper was trailing badly among rural Coloradans and playing the banjo was an attempt to connect with them despite pissing them off with gun control.

http://www.9news.com/story/entertainment/2014/07/17/governor-surprises-crowd-red-rocks/12771231/

I always thought the hick' would pull it out.

He actually got 50,000 votes than he did in 2010, it would be a wonder if he reaches up to one million votes when he has 977,000 right now.

If it wasnt for gun control his margin would of went from 3% to 6-9% and without it being a republican wave year it might of even went to double digits.
KCDem

« Reply #423 on: November 07, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

Colorado update:

John Hickenlooper     984,741   49.20%
Bob Beauprez            922,400   46.09%

...margin of 3.11 and growing...

Will Hickenlooper get to 50%?

Seems like there are about 160,000 ballots left to count...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #424 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:28 PM »

Looks like Beauprez ended up being...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length