Election Day Schedule and Sources of Returns? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:26:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Election Day Schedule and Sources of Returns? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Day Schedule and Sources of Returns?  (Read 2111 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »

6:00 Alarm goes off. Turn it off, roll over
6:09 Remember today is election day. Freak out, jump out of bed and into shower
6:32 Grab a bowl of cereal, read through today's GOTV plan to remind myself what the  I'm supposed to be doing
6:46 Get in car
6:52 Arrive at polling place early, wait in line with old people
7:02 Doors open, still waiting in line
7:08 Vote. Feel bad I don't know anything about the judges
7:14 Get back in car. Do 80 mph because I need to be Athens 10 minutes ago
7:31 Boss calls to check where we are on GOTV. She's panicky. Calm her down by telling her what an early start we got while stuck behind a HP SUV driver doing 70 in the passing lane
8:11 Park far away from campus where parking is free. Grab all my sh**t and start power walking
8:19 Get to staging location. Only one other person is there. sh**t. Hand him his clipboard and wish him luck
8:25 Once staging location is set, go grab breakfast from cafe. Pancakes and sausage, yum
8:41 Rework GOTV strategy to account for complete lack of manpower
9:10 Another canvasser shows up for less than half their shift. Give them clipboard, sans luck
9:37 Boss calls, still panicky, wants to send another organizer to Athens to help. Nonono, we're doing just fine here, thank you very much (please don't let them see what a mess this is)
10:35 Second canvasser leaves.
10:41 Go take pictures of first canvasser "for social media purposes" (to establish that we were indeed outside GOTVing at this date and time)
11:01 Canvasser arrives on time for their shift, hallelujah!
11:19 Since foot traffic is really picking up, I grab a clipboard and start canvassing
11:32 I'm bad at that. Go back to staging location and phonebank for a couple hours
12:04 Get a call from Atlanta organizer saying our boss sent her hear to help GOTV and she's just pulling into town- where should she park. Direct her to the free parking far away from campus
12:06 Call in all the favors I have to get friends, etc to show up and hold clipboards
12:23 Organizer gets to staging location, where we actually have a respectable presence. She asks me what I need. I don't need anything, so I say we need someone ready to drive people to the polls. She walks all the way back to her car
12:47 We actually find someone who needs a ride to his polling place. Call organizer so she can pick him up
12:53 Organizer arrives. Give her confusing directions to polling place
12:57 Walk over to Young Dems staging location to grab snacks and drinks for my team. Pretend not to hate everybody there.
1:00 Give everyone a snack break. Make the #1 priority pushing people to let us give them rides to the polls (easy enough to sell, we're in the last 6 hours, etc). Need to keep organizer busy
1:11 Organizer calls me, they're lost. Give better directions
1:49 Organizer returns. Two more people are waiting for rides. Plan is working out
2:08 Boss calls again. Everything is great, thanks for sending organizer, etc. How are things in Atlanta. Great! Flashmobs, stickers, chalk on side walks. Yeah, sounds like what we're doing here, totally
3:20 More of my people start showing up. Have a respectable sized team at this point
4:11 Foot traffic is very low, we're really wasting our time canvassing at this point. Decide to have everyone come to staging location and phone bank with me
4:32 Organizer returns from 5th poll run. No one is lined up. Can't keep here from coming down to staging location. She sees what little visible presence we have a flips out. Argue about how best to deploy resources for a while
4:51 Organizer says she's driving back to Atlanta, will tell boss about this. Great, whatever.
5:03 One of my canvassers mentions they haven't voted yet. Offer to drive them to the polls, they accept
6:08 Return to staging location, all but one canvasser has left. Offer to buy the two of them dinner from Barberitos (with company money, yes I can do that)
6:59 Say good buy to compatriots, go find a quiet space in the student center to plug in my laptop and check the elections coverage.
7:21 Boss calls, starts to chew me out based on what the organizer said, I hold my own, we end up chatting about the races, she think we have a decent shot of winning outright tonight. Don't jinx it...
7:49 Text friend of mine who works on the Carter campaign to see what she thinks about the races
8:01 Canvasser calls to ask where the party is. Say there is no party, sorry
8:37 Friend from Carter campaign calls me, says everyone seems to think we'll win, though she's not to optimistic. Invites me down to Atlanta for the party. What the hell, why not?
10:51 Get to 'the party.' It's pretty lame.
11:27 Cable news calls most of the races. We decide to go out and drink some more
3:00am Black out
Huh
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »

0500 - Wake Up
0800 - Work

1700 - Drive Home
1745 - Turn on CNN and plop down in the recliner with my laptop in my lap.
2245 - Bed time
You might be able to actually see more election results if you weren't on such an early schedule...
I wish i could stay up a lot later Tuesday night, but I don't dare miss Day 3 of my new job on Wednesday...

Ok, how about the part I bolded this time? Why so much time between waking up and starting work?
Not totally unreasonable if he has a long commute.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies