Generic Congressional Ballot Polls Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:14:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Generic Congressional Ballot Polls Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Generic Congressional Ballot Polls Thread  (Read 13906 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »

WTF is up with the Congressional Ballot being so mixed?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

WTF is up with the Congressional Ballot being so mixed?

I have no idea, it's extremely strange. In the past couple weeks we've gotten:

Pew: D+1
FOX: D+1
USA Today: D+1
CNN: D+1

CBS: R+8
WaPo: R+6
AP: R+8

The fact that there's clearly two distinct groups showing vastly different things is starting to make me think that "averaging" them may not be the best strategy. It could just be that one group is going to be right and the other wrong.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »

I have no idea, it's extremely strange. In the past couple weeks we've gotten:

Pew: D+1
FOX: D+1
USA Today: D+1
CNN: D+1

CBS: R+8
WaPo: R+6
AP: R+8

The fact that there's clearly two distinct groups showing vastly different things is starting to make me think that "averaging" them may not be the best strategy. It could just be that one group is going to be right and the other wrong.
Likely some likely voter models which are likely too tight are likely off.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »

The RCP average of GOP up 2.5 does seem plausible though. Still, it's surprising to see everyone downgrading Democratic seats in the house even though the national state of things and senate races haven't changed in 6 weeks.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »

Final NBC/WSJ "generic ballot": R+1

Who wants to bet this will get nowhere near the coverage that ridiculous R+11 poll last week got? Roll Eyes
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »

If the GOP thinks R+1 in a midterm is a good result they're delusional. Adjusting for presidential turnout means the Dems would go into 2016 favored in the presidential race easily. If Rs only have a slight lead like that the Senate won't be more than 52-53 R.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

I got polled today by YouGov and they asked questions about Obama's approval and a generic ballot question. So we might get another national YouGov poll tomorrow.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »

Who wants to bet this will get nowhere near the coverage that ridiculous R+11 poll last week got? Roll Eyes

It's actually a tie, 48-48. Their last poll back in early October was R+1 (48-47).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »

It's actually a tie, 48-48. Their last poll back in early October was R+1 (48-47).

This is the thing that isn't gelling in my mind.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

The problem is that they've been asked a generic ballot question ("who would you vote for in your district") and a preferred control question ("who would you prefer to control Congress") in their polls. Understandably the results have been very different and they've done a very, very bad job of actually distinguished between the two. So it's a tie in the generic ballot (from R+1 earlier in the month) and R+1 in the preferred control question (from R+11 earlier in the month).

Basically NBC/WSJ is horrible and I hate them.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »

The problem is that they've been asked a generic ballot question ("who would you vote for in your district") and a preferred control question ("who would you prefer to control Congress") in their polls. Understandably the results have been very different and they've done a very, very bad job of actually distinguished between the two. So it's a tie in the generic ballot (from R+1 earlier in the month) and R+1 in the preferred control question (from R+11 earlier in the month).

Basically NBC/WSJ is horrible and I hate them.

Yeah, that really makes no sense at all.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »

What makes the least sense of all is why somebody would want one party to control Congress and then support somebody from the other party. But he shook my hand one time. And he has such a beautiful family Roll Eyes
My prediction is that the Dems will win the total House vote by 2 percentage points but will stay in the minority because of egregious and pervasve Republican gerrymandering.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »

I got polled today by YouGov and they asked questions about Obama's approval and a generic ballot question. So we might get another national YouGov poll tomorrow.

Yup, it got released. R+4 (46-42).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »

Ras's final poll has R+3 (44-41).

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/generic_congressional_ballot

Considering everyone else is showing Dems up or the GOP up by huge margins, if it does end up being a moderately decent GOP result but not a landslide, looks like Ras will be our new generic ballot gold standard. lol
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/generic_congressional_ballot

Considering everyone else is showing Dems up or the GOP up by huge margins, if it does end up being a moderately decent GOP result but not a landslide, looks like Ras will be our new generic ballot gold standard. lol
Producing a moderate hero result doesn't make an organization the gold standard for polling.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »

Producing a moderate hero result doesn't make an organization the gold standard for polling.

Regardless, if everyone else is dead wrong, they're still going to look better.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »

Regardless, if everyone else is dead wrong, they're still going to look better.
And if not....
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »

I often wondered if I could get away with being a fake polling firm that simply takes the complete toplines from 3 polls from around the same time and average their data.

It'd be interesting experiment to see if 538 or here could pick up that King Research Institute was really a scam or if they would actually credit me as the most accurate firm.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies