The CrabCake Bureau of Funny Post Archival
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:04:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The CrabCake Bureau of Funny Post Archival
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78
Author Topic: The CrabCake Bureau of Funny Post Archival  (Read 238476 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: February 09, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

bronz is sometimes simultaneously the best and worst poster here.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1876 on: February 09, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, and a read about it on wikipedia reveals that it really isn't anything special.

I must have missed the overwhelming impact it had on human society.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1877 on: February 09, 2017, 11:36:46 PM »

I thinks his own self importance became so great that he collapsed in on himself and crated a new black hole.

It's 'created'.  And better to be associated these days with black holes, for some reason, than black cock. Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1878 on: February 10, 2017, 01:10:43 AM »

No, and a read about it on wikipedia reveals that it really isn't anything special.

Since societal impact is how you judge the worth of a book, isn't it about time you cracked open a Bible and obeyed what it said? Tongue
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1879 on: February 10, 2017, 01:58:45 AM »

It's funny because you're dismissing one of the most important works of modern political philosophy with a sneer after skimming it's Wikipedia page. Apparently, you're also insecure enough about being laughed at that you felt a need to comment on it here.
Nah, I agree, Nozick had a far greater impact. Just look at all the Voluntarist societies today!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1880 on: February 10, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »

She is simply thinking in terms of the Russian citizenship that has been offered to her.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1881 on: February 10, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »

It's funny because you're dismissing one of the most important works of modern political philosophy with a sneer after skimming it's Wikipedia page.

I wasn't aware that modern political philosophy was even remotely significant. What impact has it had on people who aren't philosophers again?

More that I feel annoyed at someone putting one of my posts that's only funny to him(and maybe some other random person) in the gallery like its some epic burn or something. If it was someone else who had said that the book wasn't special, I would have still responded.

Since societal impact is how you judge the worth of a book, isn't it about time you cracked open a Bible and obeyed what it said? Tongue

No, I just tend to not think of books that have had little to no impact on the world as "special" unless they have some really good content.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1882 on: February 10, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »

I wasn't aware that modern political philosophy was even remotely significant. What impact has it had on people who aren't philosophers again?

hahahaha omg
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1883 on: February 10, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »

hahahaha omg

Anti-intellectualism is a hell of a thing.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1884 on: February 10, 2017, 04:39:51 PM »

Technically, I voted for Bernie and I say "bro" when I'm drunk.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1885 on: February 10, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »

hahahaha omg

From a self-professed opponent of populism, no less!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1886 on: February 10, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »

No, I just tend to not think of books that have had little to no impact on the world as "special" unless they have some really good content.

[Psychologist voice] What about the content of A Theory of Justice makes it not good, Scarlet?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1887 on: February 10, 2017, 04:56:48 PM »

hahahaha omg

This is definitely a troubling post.  Alas, the second statement unfortunately sums up the mainstream attitude toward philosophy in general and that's why it's a discipline that goes totally unrecognized.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1888 on: February 10, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »

It's funny because you're dismissing one of the most important works of modern political philosophy with a sneer after skimming it's Wikipedia page.

More that I feel annoyed at someone putting one of my posts that's only funny to him(and maybe some other random person) in the gallery like its some epic burn or something. If it was someone else who had said that the book wasn't special, I would have still responded.

Okay, pump the brakes and stop for a second. Think about it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1889 on: February 11, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »

hahahaha omg

This is definitely a troubling post.  Alas, the second statement unfortunately sums up the mainstream attitude toward philosophy in general and that's why it's a discipline that goes totally unrecognized.

It tends to go both ways. Many self-described philosophers pay little attention to engaging popular culture beyond pooh-poohing it to other philosophers. The detachment is not solely the fault of the hoi polloi.

As for Rawls' work, I would say that its primary flaw is his assumption that those in his "Original Position" would favor the least-well off. Humanity generally overestimates its competence despite evidence to the contrary. If placed into a black box, most of us are going to assume we'll end up among the better off.  As such a typical person placed into the Original Position is not going to choose an egalitarian society if his aim is to maximize his well-being once he's out of the box.

Any practical work of philosophy must begin with people as they are, not with people as we wish they were. A benevolent society is the goal, not the axiom.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1890 on: February 11, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »

Context: Trump's strange power handshakes

It's the equivalence of a dominance display in Baboons, He is showing his dominance over the other males.

We're lucky he limits himself to flinging metaphorical feces.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1891 on: February 11, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »

hahahaha omg

It tends to go both ways. Many self-described philosophers pay little attention to engaging popular culture beyond pooh-poohing it to other philosophers. The detachment is not solely the fault of the hoi polloi.

Haven't thought about that, actually, but I can't disagree.  We need to make philosophy (and critical thinking in general) sexy again.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1892 on: February 11, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

The insular tendencies of academia in general are definitely a problem (a problem I'm probably going to start contributing to, considering how hermetic the way I'm required to write in order to get published is and that I don't have the communication skills to correct that).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1893 on: February 11, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »

HP but it's 2017 and we have to move past the dreaded primary. This coming from someone who made plenty harsh criticism of the movement and it's supporters.

Good point, "VT Dems against Bernie Sanders."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1894 on: February 12, 2017, 03:29:43 AM »

hahahaha omg

As for Rawls' work, I would say that its primary flaw is his assumption that those in his "Original Position" would favor the least-well off. Humanity generally overestimates its competence despite evidence to the contrary. If placed into a black box, most of us are going to assume we'll end up among the better off.  As such a typical person placed into the Original Position is not going to choose an egalitarian society if his aim is to maximize his well-being once he's out of the box.

Any practical work of philosophy must begin with people as they are, not with people as we wish they were. A benevolent society is the goal, not the axiom.

I don't think that's a fair criticism. My understanding of Rawls' argument (I haven't actually read A Theory of Justice, so I might be wrong) is that the Original Position entails not only a "veil of ignorance" on what position one will come to occupy in society, but also full knowledge of the workings of such society, which would allow every to know what their true likelihood of being upwardly mobile is. Misconceptions about one's ability to be among the "winners" normally shouldn't be able to affect this process.

Admittedly, you can still argue that this is too idealistic a framework to be effective. But I personally believe that any sound moral theory should start from the ideal and only then apply it to the messy reality.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1895 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »

[...] which would allow every to know what their true likelihood of being upwardly mobile is. Misconceptions about one's ability to be among the "winners" normally shouldn't be able to affect this process.

Admittedly, you can still argue that this is too idealistic a framework to be effective. But I personally believe that any sound moral theory should start from the ideal and only then apply it to the messy reality.
The Lake Wobegon effect would likely cause a tilt in favor of a society with social mobility, but having upward mobility also means having downward mobility, yet our propensity to overestimate our own competence means people will generally overestimate their ability to move up.

Also, as you can probably tell, I think you have it backward and that any sound moral theory must start with the messy reality and they seek ways to improve it.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1896 on: February 12, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »

hahahaha omg

I tend to find the "intellectualism" of most moral philosophy lacking. From what I've seen, it usually (no matter the position) boils down to making smart sounding arguments to justify how one feels the world should work. I don't believe that such a field should be considered equal to science, programming, engineering, art, abstract logic, mathematics, etc.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1897 on: February 12, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »

hahahaha omg

I tend to find the "intellectualism" of most moral philosophy lacking. From what I've seen, it usually (no matter the position) boils down to making smart sounding arguments to justify how one feels the world should work. I don't believe that such a field should be considered equal to science, programming, engineering, art, abstract logic, mathematics, etc.

That's literally politics in a nutshell.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1898 on: February 12, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

hahahaha omg

[/quote]

[/quote]

As opposed to your way of justifying how you feel the world should work, which is to just assert that that's how it should work without providing any evidence or reasoning.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1899 on: February 12, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »

Ugh, Antonio is being an elitist douche again. How very rude Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies