Here's what happens when you remind churches not to make political endorsements
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:24:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Here's what happens when you remind churches not to make political endorsements
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Here's what happens when you remind churches not to make political endorsements  (Read 949 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2014, 01:49:54 AM »

... lest they lose their IRS tax exemption.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »

P.S. sorry about the clickbait title.  Trying to describe this story in 80 characters or less was nigh impossible.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:19:40 AM »

Imagine the sh*t storm the far right media would create if the government tried to stop any of this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:32 AM »

The puppetmasters who run organized religion don't just think they are above the law. They know they are above the law and they are, rightfully, quite smug about it. Laws are for little people. Out of pure curiosity, I wish they had stated which Memphis church they contacted. It really could be any of them, black or white.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »

People can create a tax-exempt political organizations (AU is one of them), but tax-exempt churches cannot make political endorsements?

The people at AU are despicable hypocrites.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

They should have named names of who sent the nasty notes. These sort of stories are pointless without calling people out directly by name.
Replicator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »

Imagine the sh*t storm the far right media would create if the government tried to stop any of this.

Far right media that went 88% for Clinton and 92% for Kerry.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »

This is one reason why we shouldn't be granting organizations tax-exempt status.  And by that I mean all non-profits, not just religious ones.  They should be free to say what they want politically and we should be free to not support then thru a tax subsidy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »

People can create a tax-exempt political organizations (AU is one of them), but tax-exempt churches cannot make political endorsements?

AU is a house of worship now?

Also, while you might be in some position to be calling others hypocrites, you are certainly in no position to call anybody else despicable.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »

Joe, I presume the late hour interfered with your reading skills as AD clearly wasn't calling AU a house of worship.

AD, for them to accurately be called hypocrites, you'd need to point out some races where AU endorsed candidates.  While it's a fine line between advocating political positions and advocating political candidates, the law governing 501(c)3's makes it a fairly clear line.  So long as they don't endorse particular candidates, 501(c)3's can engage in political activity.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »

Joe, I presume the late hour interfered with your reading skills as AD clearly wasn't calling AU a house of worship.

AD, for them to accurately be called hypocrites, you'd need to point out some races where AU endorsed candidates.  While it's a fine line between advocating political positions and advocating political candidates, the law governing 501(c)3's makes it a fairly clear line.  So long as they don't endorse particular candidates, 501(c)3's can engage in political activity.

I've set up 501c3's previously, including some for religious organizations so I still have familiarity with the regulations, which actually prohibit 501c3's from intervening in any political race to support/oppose a candidate. The rule is vague and 501c3's break the rule 24/7/365, including AU. Therefore, I accuse AU of hypocrisy.

The no-endorsement-regulation is the somewhat enforceable provision within the regulations, but AU knows that churches are actually exempt from 501c3. What is AU doing, if not trying to meddle directly in the political process on behalf of complainants who have a vested interest in specific elections?

I can differentiate between the form of intervention and anti-intervention, but substance-over-form (tax doctrine) says AU are the same as other 501c3's who meddle in political races.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 11:53:27 AM »

They need to just do it.

Oh, is the government skeerd? They're the government, and they're supposed to govern.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »

No issues with reading skills here; perhaps with your deduction skills, though.  This may come as a quaint piece of trivia for you and the other Southerner, but in Normal America we have a rather important concept called 'the separation of church and state'.  The IRS helps enforce this by allowing churches to remain outside of the political sphere via tax subsidies, provided that they themselves do not stray inside the political sphere with partisan endorsements from the pulpit and whatnot.  Pretty neat system, all told.

My earlier question was to ask if AU are now considered a house of worship.  If so, then yes there's a pretty awful case of hypocrisy indeed.  If not, then you guys are both misunderstanding a pretty basic foundation of our nation's government.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 11:57:10 PM »

No issues with reading skills here; perhaps with your deduction skills, though.  This may come as a quaint piece of trivia for you and the other Southerner, but in Normal America we have a rather important concept called 'the separation of church and state'.  The IRS helps enforce this by allowing churches to remain outside of the political sphere via tax subsidies, provided that they themselves do not stray inside the political sphere with partisan endorsements from the pulpit and whatnot.  Pretty neat system, all told.

My earlier question was to ask if AU are now considered a house of worship.  If so, then yes there's a pretty awful case of hypocrisy indeed.  If not, then you guys are both misunderstanding a pretty basic foundation of our nation's government.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of why freedom of religion exists if you think that freedom of religion means that religious groups should stay out of politics.  The principal behind the limitations on the political activities of tax-exempt churches has nothing to do with freedom of religion but that government shouldn't fund political electioneering, either directly or indirectly via tax subsidies.  Frankly, even without the politicking aspect, I'd prefer if non-profits were not granted tax loopholes but treated the same as any other organization as there a quite a few 'non-profits' that in reality are run mainly for the financial benefit of their management, but given the reality, I'll settle for as strict a limit on non-profit political activity as is achievable.

Or perhaps you have the misunderstanding that "freedom of religion" is the same as "freedom from religion".
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »

It's a funny country we live in, where "Protestants and Other Americans United for the Separation of Church and State" can seamlessly become "Americans United for the Separation of Church and State," remaining all the while a sage source of perfect reason.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies