Is FL Democratic Party the worst state party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:25:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is FL Democratic Party the worst state party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Is FL Democratic Party the worst state party?  (Read 1317 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »

I'm honestly losing track on how much winnable races they blew.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:25 PM »

Yes (normal).

It's time to take extreme measures with this failure of a party: I say dissolve the party completely and allow for a new, more competent and more engaging opposition party to form. At this point, I won't mind sitting through a decade with Florida (and hell, the rest of the south) as a one-party GOP stronghold if the left can for once quit sitting on their asses, stop being complacent, quit being pussies, and actually fight for what they believe in.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:58 PM »

The worst.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:06:19 AM »

-Could not find a single actual Democrat to run against an unpopular governor
-They lost an Obama '12 open seat to a never-ran lobbyist
-They then failed to find a single person to run in said Obama '12 seat
-They were handed a miracle court decision to improve their awful map, proceeded to do literally nothing with this opportunity.
-Lost FL-26 because they got caught cheating in an election they had no reason to cheat in.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:06 AM »

"With his current numbers, Scott would lose to a ham sandwich."

-PPP in 2011.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »

Richard Scott unleashed Freedom and Prosperity on Florida.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »

Undoubtedly. Rick Scott was marginally worse than Tom Corbett was, and only one of them lost. That's pretty indicative of how terrible the Florida Dems are.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »

Yes (normal).

It's time to take extreme measures with this failure of a party: I say dissolve the party completely and allow for a new, more competent and more engaging opposition party to form. At this point, I won't mind sitting through a decade with Florida (and hell, the rest of the south) as a one-party GOP stronghold if the left can for once quit sitting on their asses, stop being complacent, quit being pussies, and actually fight for what they believe in.

Interesting thought.

1. Would there be any institutionalized impediments to doing this? How does Florida law treat third parties?

2. While it would seem like a good idea to just dissolve the Democratic parties in Florida and Alabama and start some new populist parties, that could support the Democratic candidate for President but otherwise be completely independent, who should form  them with no union movement? (the standard starting point for a leftist party and the only non-capitalist ones with organization and money)

Historically there is Farmer-Labor Party in Minnesota as a (somewhat) relevant precedent, but that was in a completely different era and region.

So how would you get it going?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »

Probably, but this is the Democratic party, so there might be some state party we're forgetting about that might be worst. Regardless, they should seriously consider disbanding.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

Obviously not, because I'd be very happy if the MA GOP were nearly as competent as the FL Dems. Even restricting it to purplish states, the OR GOP, MN GOP, NV Dems, NH GOP, OH Dems, and NC Dems are all about as bad as the FL Dems.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »

Absolutely. Considering the large and diverse population, they should have a better organization and be able to dig up better candidates than what they end up with. It really can't be compared to smaller states. They're just completely inept.

More than any other Democratic state party, it honestly feels like it's being run by Republican double agents. Charlie Crist being propped up was just the icing on the cake.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »

Nope, the CA GOP is the worst. Even in the mid-term waves they totally got clobbered. They kept nominating corporate big-whigs despite the fact that big whigs never win! Last one that came close lost to a governor possibly more unpopular than Rick Scott or Tom Corbett who got recalled a year later.

Yet they still got people like Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, and now Neel Kashkari.

But they (Florida Dems) are the worst on the side of the fence I take.
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »

Nope, the CA GOP is the worst. Even in the mid-term waves they totally got clobbered. They kept nominating corporate big-whigs despite the fact that big whigs never win! Last one that came close lost to a governor possibly more unpopular than Rick Scott or Tom Corbett who got recalled a year later.

Yet they still got people like Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, and now Neel Kashkari.

But they (Florida Dems) are the worst on the side of the fence I take.

But you must understand that that's all the California GOP has left:  Rednecks and CEOs. Sure, there are the sorts of 'moderate' Republicans who can pull it off in the North East, but the hereditary Republicans have all left the party or state, and were never that numerous or well-respected to begin with on the West Coast (Say, Charlie Baker or William Weld)  The Conservative-populists don't have a sort of displaced industrial working class to appeal to (Chris Christy or Rob Ford)

In the end, we're dealing with a party that has only a handful of rural types that are utterly out of place in the suburbs of the Bay Area or Los Angeles, like Tom McClintock  and a bevy of Mitt Romney-types who inspire precisely no one

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »

NY Democrats were more embarrassing last night, to be honest. Not that they didn't deserve it after uniting behind Cuomo.

This
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Tennessee Democratic Party is worse. Their last two Senate and Governor nominees were a right-winger, a fascist, a mentally ill guy who couldn't spell his own name, and another right-winger. Or the Alabama Democratic Party, which couldn't even find a Senate nominee in 2014 and ran a D turned I turned R turned I turned D as their nominee for governor.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

I see your Florida Democratic Party and raise you the Nevada Democratic Party.

Yeah, we can all say Tennessee, or Wyoming, or Oklahoma have horrible Democratic parties, but the party has no chance in those states in the first place, so they shouldn't even be considered.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »

Crist losing I'm not too upset about. Maybe in 2018 they'll nominate an actual Democrat.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »

Crist losing I'm not too upset about. Maybe in 2018 they'll nominate an actual Democrat.
There's a realistic chance that Charlie Crist comes back in 2018 with a sex change touting herself as the potential first transwoman Governor of Florida.

It's a bold strategy. Let's see if it pays off, Cotton.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »

Wisconsin Democratic Party is awful. Baldwin did everything almost on her own, with a some coattail help from Obama. WIDP can't even win an Assembly seat that is D+7 just outside of Madison.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

Wisconsin Democratic Party is awful. Baldwin did everything almost on her own, with a some coattail help from Obama. WIDP can't even win an Assembly seat that is D+7 just outside of Madison.

Of course there are honorable mentions.

In terms of its Republican counterpart though...I used to say Colorado GOP but they really hit it out of the park with Gardner even though they still probably would come up short in a nuetralish year like 1998, 2004 or 2012...or even a year like 2002. Minnesota's GOP is about as bad...but they did better in the state capitol though they did much better in the Senate and about 2 points better in the Guv race. In fact, those are really the only two Republican parties that I can see as "bad" right now. Oh. And then there's Hawaii...but almost every other left coast or New England state has a Republican Party that's doing very well for their state's reputation. On the D side, not so much.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 08:31:53 PM »

They are the worst political party in a supposedly competitive state.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »

I think Tennessee's Democratic Party is the worst, but Florida's Democratic Party definitely ranks at the top of the list.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »

In the party's defense, the bench is weak, and they do now have a potential statewide contender in Gwen Graham, one of two Democratic candidates for Congress to beat an incumbent Republican in the last cycle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies