2014 Post-Mortem: How did the Democrats screw this up so badly?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2014 Post-Mortem: How did the Democrats screw this up so badly?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 2014 Post-Mortem: How did the Democrats screw this up so badly?  (Read 4835 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »

And what did the Republicans do right?

Discuss.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:44:23 AM »

Democrats ran all around spineless, coreless, robotic campaigns with absolutely nothing to rally around.

Also elderly white people hate us now more than ever, and the people who do support us didn't even realize there was an election today.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »

The GOP autopsy appears to have worked. I think the Tea Party stranglehold in the GOP caucus might be broken.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »

Democrats aren't aggressive enough defending their ideas and policies. That beating was well-deserved and will hopefully repeat until they learn and heads roll.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »

Think of how out of it and apathetic I was this election. Obviously I still voted, but how many Democrats didn't?

The truth is, there was nothing to fight for. It wasn't about fighting the war in Iraq or Bush (2006), to get us the White House and a President who'd be with the middle class in the tough economy and who was going to end the war (2008) or preserving what he had done (2012). There wasn't even much of a "fight the Tea Party!" mindset ala 2010. It was just a bland boring election. The Republicans had reason to care, we didn't.

Luckily Hillary Clinton is the type of candidate who will get people out and motivated.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:23 AM »

Republicans coordinated beautifully with the GOP front groups and stayed true to the idea that only the wealthiest 1% of  Americans matter any more.

Democracy in America may have died last night.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:28:14 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 02:21:08 AM by angryGreatness »

People who should crawl in a hole and never show their faces again:

-Bruce Braley
-John Walsh
-Mark Udall
-Domenic Recchia
-Martha Coakley
-Every member of the FL Democratic party not named Gwen Graham or Patrick Murphy
-Dan Maffei
-Eliot Cutler

A lot of Democrats lost tonight, and a lot of them should definitely feel free to try again next election because they tried their best under awful circumstances, but the guys above lost races entirely due to their own f**ck-ups, or worse dragged down other candidates in separate races.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:02:16 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 10:29:34 AM by AggregateDemand »

Republicans didn't do much right, except the governors' association hit a home run.

Democrats did the same thing they always do. Write bad legislation. Pretend it has no flaws. Dig in their donkey hooves, refuse to work, and then get sent to the glue factory.
Replicator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:17 AM »

Well Republicans won because they were in touch with the American voters and Democrats lost because they were out of touch with American voters. We don't want free hand outs or to be dependent on anyone.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:37:33 AM »

We don't want free hand outs or to be dependent on anyone.

Yeah, individuals are by nature completely independent, aren't they?  They can breathe without the air, walk without the ground, swim without water, be born without parents and be important without others.  If you really don't want free handouts, then start by telling your God to take everything back.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:40:43 AM »

This is what Democrats did wrong and Republicans did right.

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 04:42:34 AM »

37% over 60? Wow maybe the polls were telling us something.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »

What's wrong is that we have two different electorates that are increasingly different from each other and the way our system is set up means that we have wild, embarrassing swings from pathetic ~40% turnout rates. The end result is a wildly unstable and schizophrenic government that doesn't represent the broader population, exacerbated by other issues such as voting rights restrictions, gerrymandering, the nature of the Senate, etc.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »

Goddamit, young people.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 07:13:31 AM »

What's wrong is that we have two different electorates that are increasingly different from each other and the way our system is set up means that we have wild, embarrassing swings from pathetic ~40% turnout rates. The end result is a wildly unstable and schizophrenic government that doesn't represent the broader population, exacerbated by other issues such as voting rights restrictions, gerrymandering, the nature of the Senate, etc.

Yes this is correct.

Obviously (BREAKING NEWS alert) the problem is that both a President elected two years ago and a Congress elected now by wildly different electorates can both claim a mandate and it's not clear what the f!ck is supposed to happen.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »

Two words: Barack Obama. You've got that many Democratic incumbents in Southern states that are angry at a Black Democratic President combined with the usual election-season hysteria over Ebola, health care, etc. That's why we lost so badly in 2010.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »

Barack Ebola.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »

This.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 09:19:22 AM »

I suppose I"m to blame. Apparently, my voter registration was incomplete.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 09:34:29 AM by King »

Nothing really happened. If you want a story, I would say is that it is becoming clear electorate groups are becoming so partisan than campaigns may no longer matter. Anyone could have predicted this six months ago.

Romney had a strong October in 2012 but it didn't get him anywhere close to winning.

Nunn, Hagan, Grimes, etc. couldn't convince anyone to vote for them, even with opponent gaffes.

Add in that the media has turned from an educational voice to a Twitter-reading/pulse-gauging regurgitate and we're basically entering a situation where the outcome is decided and unmovable. The election is a formality.

Regardless of how empowered conservatives feel today I can say with 100% confidence that Hillary Clinton is going to win 2016 soundly and Republicans are going to win in 2018 soundly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 09:53:04 AM »

Lol, have fun with the red avatars, krazen.  It's been a long time since the blues here have had their way with them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »

Lol, have fun with the red avatars, krazen.  It's been a long time since the blues here have had their way with them.

2004 was fun times.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

This. This was a boring election. The Democrats had no rallying cause (like in 2006 and 2008) or charismatic and inspiring leader (like in 2008 and 2012.) The election was uninteresting and Democrats, especially young ones had nothing to fight for. They didn't show up. The Republicans only cause was really blind Obama hatred, but for them that's enough.

The not all that well attended DFL party I was at last night is kind of a microcosm of that, in addition to being far less attended than anyone I've ever been to (including 2010), it was also much less disproportionately young.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »

The GOP autopsy appears to have worked. I think the Tea Party stranglehold in the GOP caucus might be broken.

Please tell me this is so. Despite my sympathy for the tea party, they're looney when it comes to displaying their message. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, if people perceive you as crazy, then for all intent and purposes, you're crazy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:50 AM »

"I'll believe it when I see it."
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies