Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:47:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 2078 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »

http://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Senate_elections_in_Virginia,_2014#Election_results

how
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:14:55 AM »

Quick, Nerd Herd! KEN BUCK!
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »

What about Sarvis?
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:09 AM »

Not sure, but it does show it is a very good thing Warner didn't rest on his laurels and assume victory.  Could have been bad.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »

Warner forgot to campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »

Not sure, but it does show it is a very good thing Warner didn't rest on his laurels and assume victory.  Could have been bad.

Even candidates a notch above Gillespie/Brown, and this would've been R+11. Shudder.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:30:39 AM »

Its time to get new leadership at both levels of Congress
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 01:32:41 AM »

This has happened twice now. With the 2013 Governor race and today. Virginia is a purple state, and it shows in almost all its elections. Add that with the wave affect and Warner almost lost his job.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 01:32:50 AM »

Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:12 AM »

Even candidates a notch above Gillespie/Brown, and this would've been R+11. Shudder.

I know.  I didn't get in until fairly late, and the first thing I noticed was the thread that said the Senate Virginia race was close.  I immediately knew that I wasn't going to enjoy the results.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:02:43 AM »

Virginia isn't a safe blue state quite yet and should never be taken for granted, especially in this polarized climate and during midterms when the white demons hold all the cards.

Never liked Warner anyway.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 04:13:42 AM »

That's actually precisely what happened. Sure, there were ads on TV, but the ground game was virtually non-existent. Other than the intermittent ads (which, by the way, was nothing remotely close to the pummeling we received in 2012 and 2013), you'd hardly know there was an election going on this year. I think people were worn out from the 2013 Governor's race as well.

Disagree. If the Republicans had openly put more effort into this race, I think Warner wins by a comfortable margin. Warner got complacent, and the Dem base was essentially caught napping. If the outside groups had suddenly started dumping money into this race, then the Dems would have realized something was up.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 04:18:44 AM »

Mark Warner is clearly overrated, and the Democrats need to learn to campaign, get the message out, strategy. Deadweight leadership like DWS should be immediately fired and replaced with Dean.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »

That's actually precisely what happened. Sure, there were ads on TV, but the ground game was virtually non-existent. Other than the intermittent ads (which, by the way, was nothing remotely close to the pummeling we received in 2012 and 2013), you'd hardly know there was an election going on this year. I think people were worn out from the 2013 Governor's race as well.

Disagree. If the Republicans had openly put more effort into this race, I think Warner wins by a comfortable margin. Warner got complacent, and the Dem base was essentially caught napping. If the outside groups had suddenly started dumping money into this race, then the Dems would have realized something was up.

Fair enough.  Had he put more time into the race, do you think (because of the environment) he still would have scrapped by with just a few points?
folksinger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »

By the nights end I was actually pulling for a Gillespie win, we has already lost the senate and the Democrats could do with one less fauxprogressive moderate squish in their caucus.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »

By the nights end I was actually pulling for a Gillespie win, we has already lost the senate and the Democrats could do with one less fauxprogressive moderate squish in their caucus.

That's retarded. That would be one more seat we have to gain back in 2016. Roll Eyes
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »

I get the logic behind it (IceSpear spelled it out perfectly above), but it's always hilarious to hear liberal Democrats cheer vigorously for people like Pryor, Landrieu, Warner, etc. to pull it out and then if they lose, they say stuff like "Good riddance, DINO."  Happens on the GOP side, too.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »

This has happened twice now. With the 2013 Governor race and today. Virginia is a purple state, and it shows in almost all its elections. Add that with the wave affect and Warner almost lost his job.

I think what we're seeing a textbook example of the "boom/bust" coalition that hurts Democrats so poorly in off-year elections.

In presidential years, Virginia is a "lean Democrat" state but reverts into "pure tossup" category anytime there's not Obama on the ticket to prop-up African-American, Hispanic and youth turnout.  Of course, this happens in every state but it seems like an especially strong phenomenon in Virginia for whatever reason.   
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 01:02:25 AM »

Fair enough.  Had he put more time into the race, do you think (because of the environment) he still would have scrapped by with just a few points?

Unlike people here, I never thought Warner would win by 20. I thought he'd win by 7-8 percent.
Recalcuate

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:48 AM »

Don't forget Cantor was upset too in Virginia. The voters there have been known for a surprise or two.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 01:36:41 AM »

What can we say? We like to keep things interesting.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 02:30:08 AM »

I get the logic behind it (IceSpear spelled it out perfectly above), but it's always hilarious to hear liberal Democrats cheer vigorously for people like Pryor, Landrieu, Warner, etc. to pull it out and then if they lose, they say stuff like "Good riddance, DINO."  Happens on the GOP side, too.

I put Pryor in a different category to Landrieu and Warner because he disputed the accuracy of evolution and the age of the earth.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:49 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »

Does anybody know when the Virgina results will be officially announced?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:04:16 AM »

Does anybody know when the Virgina results will be officially announced?

From what I've read, there are only some 4.000 provisional ballots left to count in VA and Warner is ahead by 17.000 right now. The result should be more or less final.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies