Harry Reid to run for Minority Leader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:52:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Harry Reid to run for Minority Leader
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Harry Reid to run for Minority Leader  (Read 4913 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

Harry Reid needs to be pushed out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 11:23:28 AM »

Harry Reid has been a fantastic leader, and hopefully he'll be able to lead the Senate again come 2020.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:29 AM »

If the Dems want to be led again by Dirty Liar Harry Reid, go for it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »

Harry Reid is a major HP. Democrats would be wise to clean house of people like him.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »

Why would anyone else want the job right now? Let Reid do it and take the flak for whatever happens in the next two years then resign
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »

Mary Landrieu should be leader
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

Hopefully, I really like him, my favorite Democratic senator.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »

Why would anyone else want the job right now? Let Reid do it and take the flak for whatever happens in the next two years then resign

This is the correct answer.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »

Reid, Pelosi and Clinton.

Man, that's going to amp the youth vote.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »

I'll admit that Chucky is the most politically talented guy you have on your side of the aisle.

I hope he doesn't get picked. I'm hoping Harry Reid (who honestly wasn't a bad Leader for the Dems, far better at his job than Pelosi... his ads when he was fighting for his life were very good) or someone else gets picked.

Speaking of that how does the Dem house not consider firing Pelosi just out of punishment for leading the Dems to their worst numbers since the 1920s. I mean the DCCC did worse relative to expectations than the DSCC. Something tells me that her caucus is now so universally ideologically in step with her that she's probably more secure than ever.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

I'll admit that Chucky is the most politically talented guy you have on your side of the aisle.

I hope he doesn't get picked. I'm hoping Harry Reid (who honestly wasn't a bad Leader for the Dems, far better at his job than Pelosi... his ads when he was fighting for his life were very good) or someone else gets picked.

Speaking of that how does the Dem house not consider firing Pelosi just out of punishment for leading the Dems to their worst numbers since the 1920s. I mean the DCCC did worse relative to expectations than the DSCC. Something tells me that her caucus is now so universally ideologically in step with her that she's probably more secure than ever.

Pelosi is very, very good at fundraising. And forcing her out of the leadership would be very messy. Not sure there's even a candidate willing to go against her who could win more than a handful of votes.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »

She will no longer be in the Senate come January, let alone be Majority Leader.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »

You must be joking, right? After THAT ass whooping?

If I were a Democrat, I'd push for a red/purple state Dem and/or a moderate personally, like Ben Nelson or John Tester. I think I trust Schumer and Durbin LESS than I trust Reid.

Why, so they can lose re-election due to the baggage of being a leader? The GOP has the right idea picking their leader from safe R states like Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Even IL probably isn't blue enough to give it to Durbin. We need Schumer.
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

Pelosi is very, very good at fundraising. And forcing her out of the leadership would be very messy. Not sure there's even a candidate willing to go against her who could win more than a handful of votes.

I hear you there and I'm 100% sure that Pelosi will be Dem leader going forward as well, but...
1) There are plenty of positions where someone can demonstrate their talent as a prolific fundraiser
2) I'm just making the point that if Dem house was a rational person that made decisions based on performance, that person wouldn't exactly be so decided on keeping her where she is. Again she's safe where she is, but honestly I wonder if she should be safe.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »

It's a mistake. Boehner and McConnell took over in 2006 and provided new faces for the party and actual ambition to get the top job. Pelosi and Reid sticking around don't help the Democrats.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »

Brian Schatz should be Minority Leader.

I'm only half joking, too.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »

Reid should probably step down as Democratic leader of Senate.  It may be time for new blood.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »

It's a mistake. Boehner and McConnell took over in 2006 and provided new faces for the party and actual ambition to get the top job. Pelosi and Reid sticking around don't help the Democrats.

Agreed.

PATTY MURRAY FOR FIRST FEMALE SENATE LEADER!!
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

I'll also say that Harry Reid (who is not even close to as intelligent politically as Chucky) is politically far more intelligent than both Boehner and McConnell.

McConnell's only strength is senate procedure which the late Sen Byrd proves you don't need to have your procedure expert running the helm of the senate you just need a leader that is willing to listen. Problem is that I'm not particularly impressed with any of the senate GOP old guards political instincts. Maybe Sessions, Cornyn, or Crapo.

In the House, McCarthy is just so much better than Boehner.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »

Reid, Pelosi and Clinton.

Man, that's going to amp the youth vote.

My thoughts exactly. Did the Dems not learn from their 2008/12 successes?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »

Clinton is fine, since she's the only potential Democratic presidential candidate who wouldn't be a disaster, but otherwise you guys are right. Now, replace Pelosi with a hot young Latino just swarthy enough to appeal to swing voters without scaring them like Xavier Becerra and a progressive babe with a rocking bod like Kirsten Gillibrand and you got a ticket ready to take back the trifecta in 2016 IMO.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »

Thinking about it.... who would be a good, new, Speaker and Majority Leader?

jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 07:23:14 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2014, 07:27:55 PM by jd1433 »

I wouldn't hang your hopes and 2016 fortunes on the youth vote. There is no Dem constituency that is probably more pissed and fickle right now and the margins you have there aren't what they used to be. They were the most naive about politics, your side sold them a bag of goods about changing the world in a couple years, and now they're completely disillusioned (and ticked that they haven't started their careers yet).

I'm pretty sure that Hillary camp knows this and I'm pretty confident they're going to take the energy Obama exerted towards the youth vote in 2008/12 and target suburbia. In particular suburban married women (from no kid adventurers to soccer mom types)  with the attempt at making GOP margins in suburbia slimmer so that their inner city and minority vote doesn't get completely cancelled out in suburbia.

Watch as "War on Women" is replaced with some weird new policies/ideas/issues centered around married women with either no kids or young kids right in the heart of suburbia. Policies/issues we haven't even thought of yet (generic education and child care stuff isn't going to cut it).
jd1433
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 07:26:22 PM »

Seriously I dare the Dems to try to focus exactly on the Obama coalition again relying on the youth vote to hold it up.

If I see signs that is what they're going to try to do I'll laugh so hard because it wont work.

I don't suspect the pro's in Hillary's camp are that dumb so that's why I think it's unreasonable to hope they would actually try to do that.
Recalcuate

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »

LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies