Will Mia Love lose in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:58:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Mia Love lose in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: I mean....
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Will Mia Love lose in 2016?  (Read 7401 times)
Knives
solopop
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 05:38:17 PM »

Girl could barely win in a district that was R+17, in Utah in 2014!

That's not racist. Roll Eyes

You are right, it isn't.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »

I could definitely see Matheson running for Mayor of Salt Lake City.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »

No. Shell be reelected. She's already a star. Shell be the new face for black conservatives because she's more outspoken than Tim Scott.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 05:49:33 PM »

No. Shell be reelected. She's already a star. Shell be the new face for black conservatives because she's more outspoken than Tim Scott.

Somebody who wins a R+14 district in a election cycle like this by only 2 or 3 points isn't a star.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »

She's a star only because pundits have been saying for two cycles how amazing of a candidate she is on paper. Every time it's come to actually being a politician, she's failed at it.

She's the equivalent of a reality show star being famous only because the show tells you that she's famous.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 06:04:06 PM »

She's a star only because pundits have been saying for two cycles how amazing of a candidate she is on paper. Every time it's come to actually being a politician, she's failed at it.

She's the equivalent of a reality show star being famous only because the show tells you that she's famous.

Has anyone outside of Utah actually listened to Mia Love talk for more than 3 seconds?  I suspect not because if she's a rising political star, that can only mean we have plummeting standards for our leaders.  Mia Love is a more right-wing Sarah Palin.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »

Mia Love is the Republican's Tulsi Gabbard.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »

No. Matheson is far too conservative for the city, and they, excuse me, we have no trouble electing democratic mayors as it is (The city has elected democratic mayors since the mid 1970's, including this guy). It makes much more sense for him to run for Governor (which his father has also held), or Senator.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »

No. Matheson is far too conservative for the city, and they, excuse me, we have no trouble electing democratic mayors as it is (The city has elected democratic mayors since the mid 1970's, including this guy). It makes much more sense for him to run for Governor (which his father has also held), or Senator.

He is more conservative, but it's not like they wouldn't elect him. He has major name recognition and probably money. He could smoke any primary challengers out.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 07:13:27 PM »

He is more conservative, but it's not like they wouldn't elect him. He has major name recognition and probably money. He could smoke any primary challengers out.

People here aren't going to vote for conservadem, no matter how much money he dishes out, when a) the city is capable of electing far more left-wing people as mayor, and b) there are plenty of city council members, state legislature members, and even a couple of county council members who would all make far better candidates.

And Matheson isn't going to waste time and money trying to be a mayor, when it be much use of both towards a Senate or Gubernatorial campaign.

In short: this is not going to happen.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »

Maybe. As I've been saying for many, many years, the virulent racism of the morman cult should not be under-estimated. I believe the results in UT-04 last night once and for all vindicate my position.

Your statement is patently ridiculous.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) is probably the fastest growing Christian religion in the world.

It was no doubt mostly Mormons who elected the first Republican black woman to the U.S. Congress, and racists are not going to be voting for a black person, man or woman.

Mormon voters and Mia Love made history.

Her name may be Mia Love but Mormons love Mia.     

Made history by electing a black woman to Congress?

Welcome to the 20th century.

Have you ever considered, good sir, that this is likely the first opportunity they have had of sending a black woman to Congress?  Had they had that opportunity a century ago no doubt they would have elected her then.   

Not to nit pick, but this is the 21st century. 

My comment flew way over your head.

Oh, I got your snarky remark Mr. Smart Pants.

And it really wasn't all that clever or original.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 08:56:55 PM »

People here aren't going to vote for conservadem, no matter how much money he dishes out, when a) the city is capable of electing far more left-wing people as mayor, and b) there are plenty of city council members, state legislature members, and even a couple of county council members who would all make far better candidates.

And Matheson isn't going to waste time and money trying to be a mayor, when it be much use of both towards a Senate or Gubernatorial campaign.

In short: this is not going to happen.

You have a better grasp of Utahn politics than me, so I'll take your word. Though it's not like being mayor is that much of a step down for a former congressman.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »

Maybe. As I've been saying for many, many years, the virulent racism of the morman cult should not be under-estimated. I believe the results in UT-04 last night once and for all vindicate my position.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) is probably the fastest growing Christian religion in the world.

It was no doubt mostly Mormons who elected the first Republican black woman to the U.S. Congress, and racists are not going to be voting for a black person, man or woman.

Have you ever considered, good sir, that this is likely the first opportunity they have had of sending a black woman to Congress?  Had they had that opportunity a century ago no doubt they would have elected her then.    

Good. I'm glad that the Republican Party is just now catching up to where the Democrats were when The White Album came out.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »

She strikes me as a moron.  That seems to be the pattern for female or minority GOP candidates sadly. 

Republicans, who supposedly hate affirmative action, find these mediocre politicians like Sarah Palin, Marco Rubio or Mia Love and promote them to prove that they're not racist or sexist.  Sorry Republicans, the fact that you promote these token minorities only proves that you have low expectations of anyone who isn't a white man.

^ Yes.

Never has this been clearer than when Herman Cain was somehow given publicity and put on a debate stage.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

Have you ever considered, good sir, that this is likely the first opportunity they have had of sending a black woman to Congress?  Had they had that opportunity a century ago no doubt they would have elected her then.    

Good. I'm glad that the Republican Party is just now catching up to where the Democrats were when The White Album came out.

And I'm glad the Democrat Party has become more tolerant since their days when they fought tooth and nail to keep blacks in chains and working on plantations of wealthy white landowners when they stubbornly opposed President Lincoln and the Republican Party in their valiant efforts to outlaw slavery back in the 1860's.

It may have taken the Democrat Party 100 years to come around to the Republican view of freedom for blacks, but better late than never. 

As a result of Republicans freeing the blacks, the Democrat Party now has the black vote that they can take for granted election after election.  Congratulations Dems.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2014, 12:48:55 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Nope, the first Haitian-American elected to Congress. Remember, you liberals love distinctions like that!

The first Haitian-American elected to Congress and the first black Republican woman elected to Congress.

Making double history.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »

Winning by 3 points in an R+14 districts is a big red flag especially considering the midterm electorate in a state like Utah! If she's only winning by 3 in the district with a midterm electorate it makes me think she is toast in a Presidential year. And this whole "national star" thing is not good for her either voters want a representative not a political celebrity see Allen West, if I were her I would lay low and stay out of the spotlight.
KCDem

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 12:50:32 AM »

Probably not. But who knows? Hopefully Owens runs again.
Nichlemn

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:53 AM »

Winning by 3 points in an R+14 districts is a big red flag especially considering the midterm electorate in a state like Utah! If she's only winning by 3 in the district with a midterm electorate it makes me think she is toast in a Presidential year. And this whole "national star" thing is not good for her either voters want a representative not a political celebrity see Allen West, if I were her I would lay low and stay out of the spotlight.

I dunno if Presidential turnout is actually any better for Democrats in Utah. And even if it is, it's never uniform. (I remember after 2010, there was this talking point that if a Democrat survived 2010 it was just impossible that they could lose in 2012).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »

Possibly, 50-47 is not a strong win. In 2012, her grasp of local issues was incredibly weak and the district's partisan numbers are less Republican than the 67% that Romney took, which was heavily inflated due to a home state effect of sorts.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »

I dunno if Presidential turnout is actually any better for Democrats in Utah. And even if it is, it's never uniform. (I remember after 2010, there was this talking point that if a Democrat survived 2010 it was just impossible that they could lose in 2012).

Romney romped in Utah because he was Mormon. There will likely be no Mormon Republican running in '16 and the district will revert back to R+3-5.
DS0816
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

Girl could barely win in a district that was R+17, in Utah in 2014!

That's not racist. Roll Eyes

Some of us actually discuss statistical numbers.

Try not to pretend otherwise.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

Yea.. there is a reason I do not like retreads. Pretty much this.

It is all the Jason Kander for Senate hype I hear in 2022 in a rematch against Roy Blunt is nonsense. To be fair, in an open seat or a second Trump Midterm, Kander would have a good shot in winning it.

Kander would be better off running for Governor or an open or vulnerable row office in 2020. Smiley I think he could do that for sure.

As a rule though I find that rematches to always falter. The candidate doing the rematch often can not find reasons to give voters to vote for them if their opponent is uncontroversial. Which did happen in Utah 04 in 2016. Also the candidate doing the rematch often gets overconfident. I remember everyone at the Owens campaign thinking that since they got 46% in 2014 they would be able to get 50% in 2016 with presidential year turn out up and Trump on top of the ticket. It does not work like that.

That all being said: if Love runs for Senate in 2018 and the seat becomes open and/or Ben McAdams runs for the seat it could become interesting extremely quickly. No Doug Owens please. Honestly, he should have ran for a lower office this year or in another year.

Rematches rarely work!
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »

So why is she such a bad candidate in general, though? Her elections should not be even remotely this close, nor should she have lost to Matheson in 2012. This is a double-digit R PVI district.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »

So why is she such a bad candidate in general, though? Her elections should not be even remotely this close, nor should she have lost to Matheson in 2012. This is a double-digit R PVI district.

Romney skewed the districts PVI. It is not overwhelmingly Republican. Also 82% of the district is in Salt Lake County. Salt Lake County routinely elects Democrats. That even includes many parts of that district. Plus there was some desire to have one Democrat in high office in Utah.

A wave could get Love, but I think she is more entrenched now. Open seat in a Democratic wave year would be interesting though. Still, her opponent would not be able to defeat her if he/she/it can not give a good reason to vote against her or for the opponent.

Of course your party made a vicious gerrymander. It would not have been too difficult to draw a district entirely in Salt Lake County that Democrats could routinely win.

I know its a very controversial opinion I have but I think the main requirement of Congressional Districts should be that they make as much geographic sense as feasible and correspond to population requirements.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies